C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda guy here, Need you guys to prove something

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JuicedS2K
Well aside from performance, no one told me what was better about it then an s2000, and i said i need some convincing because i cant figure out what is for double the price tag Was hoping you guys could tell me, cause i can't figure out what is better aside from the performance. Im starting to believe after this thread it really is just the performance benefit.
Ahh, come on, go out drive the damn thing, then you'll find out. Geez, you're like a little kid here, tell me this, tell me that. Get a pair and go do your research, then come back and praise or badmouth.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by JimTN
Uh, no, we don't need to prove anything. You need to prove you want one badly enough to buy one. We really don't care whether you buy one or not.

When you're ready for a Corvette you know it. Doesn't sound like the OP is ready to give up the ricer.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
If you go with the GTR don't use launch control or you void your warranty

pretty bad when they put it right in your owners manual....
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM
JuicedS2K
8th Gear

Originally Posted by garytucker
They are two different cars. What you are asking for is like asking me to explain whether my 350z or my Corvette is the best car...they are both great cars with great features. I like the Z from the standpoint that I don't feel bad driving it in the rain or across country...it's only a $40k car. The Corvette gets treated better and I'm more careful with it (it still gets rained on, and has had some longer trips, but no cross-country).

If you were asking us to compare a Corvette and another 400+ hp sports car...the comparison would be much easier.

You're making a big leap in the car heirarchy here (not saying your honda isn't a "worthy" car)...its like going from a mercedes to a bentley. Both are good cars that provide certain benefits, but different benefits.

Honestly, my suggestion (and that of others) is so true in your case...you need to drive the car to make sure it is the right one for you. If you are a 'dyed in the wool' Honda owner, no amount of convincing by a bunch of Corvette owners will convince you to make the switch.

Thank you.

And i have driven 2 C6 Z06's, They feel quit slow compared to my s2000 to be honest, the only reason i wanted to make the switch is because i realize with as much work, the z06 has more potential.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned a couple of Miatas, an RSX and driven several S2000s. We now have a Corvette. There are marked differences.

The smaller, lighter, less powerful Japanese cars can be fun on twisty back roads. Their interiors have good ergonomics and they are very reliable. Their engines have to turn serious RPMs to make any real power and you must constantly work the shifter. They are engaging and fun to drive, but their performance envelope is far below that of the Corvette.

The Corvette is in an entirely different league. The power difference is enormous, but how you drive it is different as well. The engine has so much torque -- something nearly non-existant in the small displacement cars -- that the car runs at high speed with very few RPMs. This reduces 'buzziness'. With much more power and larger wheels/tires, the Corvette will run the same back roads at the same speeds without feeling like you are working. Of course if you want to run them even faster, the Corvette is more than willing to oblige.

On long highway trips, the Corvette is superb. We drove it for eight hours on the highway, only stopping for fuel, and never got tired. The car is smooth, quite and comfortable at highly illegal velocities.

As a vehicle, the Corvette offers a different driving experience than the Japanese cars you mention. In addition, the Corvette is one of the few vehicles that attract positive attention from a very diverse group of people. On our trips we have received compliments from rednecks, children, baby boomers, college students, little old ladies, muscle car guys, truckers, motorcyclists and family men. The Corvette community appears to be stronger with more active clubs and more events.

In the end, car choice is highly personal. Try a Corvette and see what you think. I never considered one until I saw the engineering in the rolling C5 chassis on display in the National Corvette Museum. When I drove a C6, I was amazed at how docile and easy to drive it was for a vehicle with such enormous capabilities. When I started hustling the car, I became even more impressed.

I wish you luck in your search for the perfect car.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, not here to convince you you should buy a Vette. That's what the salesman is for and he gets the commission.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 AM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

I would take a Nissan GTR over a Z06 anyday. They are awesome cars. They look amazing in person. They do have issues just like any other car including the newer vettes. Now GTR which dealers are trying to sell at ZR1 prices I would take a ZR1 over the GTR.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM
knyght4
Drifting

Well aside from performance, no one told me what was better about it then an s2000, and i said i need some convincing because i cant figure out what is for double the price tag Was hoping you guys could tell me, cause i can't figure out what is better aside from the performance. Im starting to believe after this thread it really is just the performance benefit.
Get an insurance quote and see what the price would be for S2000, vs GTR vs C6Z06. I did that when I was looking at an STI and the insurance for the vette was cheaper.

Economy. Even though you rock a V8 in the vette, the weight savings makes the car incredibly efficient - especially if you take it on road trips.

Reliability. Every car has it's quirks, and no two cars are built the same. With issues, I've always relied on past experiences and this forum for help. I've been able to find what I need on here most of the time. It also helps to find a tuner near you that has experience with LSx motors as well.

Safety. Keep a clear head and watch traffic and road obstacles. Craziness and high speed can kill you.

Drivability. M6 sucks in traffic. Auto will make things easy. Internal mods can change the drivability, but it depends on the combos you got running - it depends on what you are looking for. Many members drive their vette daily and its no problem. You can go 100k miles with no issues too. It's not a problem with C5s and a C6 shouldn't be much different.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

And i have driven 2 C6 Z06's, They feel quit slow compared to my s2000 to be honest, the only reason i wanted to make the switch is because i realize with as much work, the z06 has more potential.
How a car feels can be deceiving. The Z06 hides its speed really well because it does not have to work itself into a frenzy to produce big power. You can mod any car, but the Z06 gives you huge performance bone stock -- and you still have factory warranty coverage.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM
kthomas
Racer

I'm gonna go on the ferrari or lambo forums and ask to please prove something. BBL

Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM
indyspeed
Instructor

Renting one if you can is an excellent idea! Also, if you really want to know their capabilities, and I'm guessing you have the cash if you are talking about doing a GTR or Z06. I would recommend doing a training course at Spring Mountain. After that you will really have a good sense of what these machines can do. As far as which car to buy, only you can answer that question. Since you are asking on a Corvette forum, you probably know where our bias will come into play. Although, if you are after exclusivity, Corvette probably isn't for you. Personally I like that. I don't mind that the average person can't tell the difference between my Z06 and any other vette. It's also a Chevy. A lot of people talk about the "Corvette tax", but when you talk about performance cars most of them will eat you alive in repairs if you aren't doing them yourself that includes the GTR. The Corvette is pretty reasonable. There are also lots of parts available including after market. Also, if you are after the perfect car inside and out, this car probably isn't for you either. I do believe it has great outside styling but it comes with a few imperfections, and the interior is good but not great and also has a few imperfections. I got my Z06 because of the performance, and its a big time performance bargain of the century. I don't really care about the interior to a point. In addition, if you look at high end cars there are some that are not that great either from an interior perspective. I have seen inside some Ferraris and I was not impressed. Porsche and Lambos have much nicer interiors IMHO, but the Ferraris probably have better performance. So, it really depends on your priorities.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

If you can afford it go buy one and be done with it. Better yet buy both a GTR and Vette.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Charlie M
Pro

Reliable? What are all those wrenches on the firewall, and fingerprints on the intake pipes. Looks like that engine is worked on wayyyyyy too much......
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

What I am getting at is, i need you guys to give me reasons to buy a newer vette, cause i really want to but need convincing in going with a c6 z06 over a nissan GTR.

Reliability? - GTR may or may not be more reliable. It is hard to tell right now since it is such a new car. having said that, the Corvette is VERY reliable compared to your typical american car. it is built with much more pride and higher standards in Bowling Green than the average Chevrolet.

Class? as in "Classy" or "social class"? i'd say it is on par or higher than the GTR in "Classy", however probably lower in "social class".

Safety? the Corvette has many safety features and nannies, but the GTR probably has more. As far as crash tests, though, I dont know, youd have to look u the DOT tests.

Interior? I've never sat in a GTR, but they seem very nice. The Corvette is much nicer than magazines, Top Gear, and all the "experts" say it is. Although it is not all Leather wrapped (except the 4LT/3LZ/3ZR), it is much more attractive than the Porsche interior, and more ergonomic than most sports cars. Plus, there is an abundant after market for upgrading the interior at a reasonable cost to being it on par with any super exotic.

Problems? similar to the reliability question. there are not any major problems. but any little problems are well documented, rare, and usually come with an easy cheap fix.

Perks? over the GTR - removable roof, if you go with the base coupe or Grand Sport. Tire Shredding Torque. The Corvette Tax is probably lower than the GTR tax. Better Gas Mileage. However the GTR has a few more toys and a back seat and AWD.

More fun then an S2000? i have never driven an S2000, but i'd still say yes because of the engine. its a driver's race around an autocross course, but the Corvette will stomp it on a straight track. Not to mention that sweet pushrod v8 music vs the hi-rev vtec remix.
see my responses in the quote above.

i dont think you can go wrong with the GTR. it is an awesome car, but for the price, I love mt Corvette!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Mcpousnret
Intermediate

Default Great Question

I traded in a 2007 Mercedes SLK 55 AMG in for a new 2009 Vette. I have never looked back. I loved it. It's comfortable (I'm a big guy) and has a ton of options that costs alot of money in other cars. I like the performance and looks. It's a brute when I need it to be, and the sports luxury I enjoy other times. I couldn't be more happy. No brainer brother, buy the Vette.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I guess another reason is-How many GTR mechanics do you think are out there VS. Corvette mechanics ? Got to be a real PITA to find someone capable of working on a low production car.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

You should stick with a Honda, they don't make fart cans for Corvette's. And remember, GIRLS really dig Honda's, that leaves the WOMEN free for us Corvette owners

Get notified of new replies

To Honda guy here, Need you guys to prove something

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If after seeing, driving and reading about a Corvette Z06 you still need convincing I tend to think you'll be better off buying something else. To a great extent a car either does 'it' for you or it doesn't.

Other than a Toyauto Land Cruiser I had back in the early 1970's I've never been into Japanese cars. I recognize the Japanese build fine cars but they just don't do anything for me. I've seen a modified Honda S2000 do respectable lap times at the track and I've raced with Nissan GTR's. I have no doubt the S2000, much like a little Miata, is a fun car to tool-around in. The GTR is a tremendous performance machine but IMO compared to a C6 Corvette its butt-ugly. My modified C6 has been a great car in all respects...its reasonably fast with naturally aspirated power, it handles well, its been extremely reliable and I love its look. It's the car for me. There is no right or wrong or one car "better" than the other. We all like different things.

I still feel if you need convincing to buy a Corvette you'll be happier buying something else. What can I say? I'm a 'dog person'...I like the Corvette!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:36 AM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've gone from a 350Z to the 'Vette and mind you, the Z and the S2000 are very similar, only the Z is quicker. That said, I will tell you that my C6 Z51 ****s on my old car. Comparisons? There aren't any comparisons to be made... They are in completely different worlds. As far as the GT-R is concerned, it's an impressive machine but we've all seen Z06s walk them with the right drivers. Plus, the Z06 is just much, much cooler.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Drive them and then buy what you want.

I drive an Acura to work and a Corvette on weekends.....

Quick Reply: Honda guy here, Need you guys to prove something