C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Scraping the Driveway" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my car lowered all the way on the stock rear bolts and about 3/4" on the front bolts. Down in south Texas, not too much of a problem. Here in BC, I raised the front back up a 1/2" to keep the scraping to a minimum. I scraped over everything here, to the point that I kept collecting long strands of the plastic from the air dam.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

My driveway is quite steep, causing the air dam to scrape when I pull in. I got used to that, but more significant is that the rocker panels scrape at the apex of the driveway after the front wheels crest the incline. I solved this problem by laying down slats of artificial decking material to raise the rear tires just enough so that the panels don't scrape. I have to be careful to have enough momentum for the rear tires to get past the slats because using any gas while they're on them causes the slats to shoot out from underneath. I also can't have a passeger in the car, as the extra weight voids the height gained by the slats. Such is life with a Vette and an overly-steep driveway.

BTW, don't even think about backing up a driveway this steep. The sound of the tailpipes scraping on the concrete is about 10,000 times worse than the sound of the air dam scraping.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:55 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,071 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

My scraped air dam adds character to my vert , now my vert is not perfect just like me.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
I was wondering if anyone has made modifications to their driveway to alleviate this issue...or any other ideas... Are there certain requirements for the sidewalk? thanks.
I have the same problem, scraping the air dam when entering/exiting my driveway onto the street.

I bought some 3/4" exterior grade plywood and shot concrete anchors through the plywood into the gutter concrete. This secured the plywood, which will shift as you drive over it, unless it is anchored. The plywood spans the gutter and eliminates the transition (dip) at the entrance to the driveway.

Be sure to add some pressure treated strips under the plywood at the center of the plywood (following the gutter, not perpendicular) to span the gap between the underside of the plywood and the concrete gutter. This will reinforce the plywood and allow storm water to go under the plywood. This has been an effective and inexpensive solution, for me, but it is not attractive. There are companies that make expensive, attractive solutions to this problem. -Clark

Quick Reply: "Scraping the Driveway" discussion