C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRL's stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 PM
HoustonTX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL's stopped working

2006 C6 - Brought in for state inspection yesterday - now my DRL's do not come on. I don’t think it’s a fuse - the turn signals work and approach lights work - just no daytime running lights. The light switch is in "AUTO" position.

I believe the inspector accidently flipped something

Now I cannot get them to turn on - I tried searching old posts, found many trying to disengage the DRL's but couldn't find anything on this - any help would be appreciated!!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Is the e-brake on? DRLs won't light if the e-brake is on.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 PM
HoustonTX
Instructor

Nope - checked that too - but thanks for the suggestion.

It seems like I had this happen before and it seems like the fix was a no brainer, I just can't remember what it was!!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:56 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Hmmm...that's a stumper. If indeed the switch is in the "auto" position and the e-brake is off, the DRLs should come on...possibly unless you have an automatic transmission? I'm not 100% sure, but does an automatic need to be in gear (not in park) for the DRLs to come on?
Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 PM
HoustonTX
Instructor

Yes, it is auto and does need to be in gear - but not coming on anymore when in gear. Thank you though for the suggestion.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,607 Likes on 1,636 Posts

If the turn signals work, I can't immagine why the DRLs would not. Strange.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonTX
...The light switch is in "AUTO" position...
Maybe it just looks that way.

That is, maybe it's really in the adjacent position ("OFF"). Or maybe it's in-between OFF and AUTO.

Anyway, get someone to twist the lamp control stalk thru all positions, while you watch from the front.

And of course make sure the light sensor (on top of the instrument panel) is not covered.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:45 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Last option!

Last option disconnect the battery and then reconnect a few minutes later. Reindex the windows.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:22 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont mean for this to sound rude so please don't take it that way but how is this a bad thing? I turn my drl's everytime I get in the car. I wish they would become "accidently" disabled. If you like the look of the drl's, then I support your taste and Im sorry I can't help except for you may have the light switch adjusted wrong.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

That happened to me once when I was gassing up and reached into the window to pop the hood and my arm changed the setting on the stalk.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TysonJones

...how is this a bad thing? I turn my drl's everytime I get in the car. I wish they would become "accidently" disabled.

If your DRLs have magically become disabled (and the turn signals still work fine), this is truly a blessing in disguise. If you wind up figuring out what caused this, please post it, very many people will be interested including me.

As most know, the bright filament in the turn signal bulbs (used for the DRLs) is really not designed to be on all the time so the DRL filaments tend to burn out prematurely. I always turn mine off before pulling out of the garage. I'll often just turn my parking lights on instead, this way I get the lower power front filaments glowing and low power rear light filaments glowing as well... and they last longer. If I'm going through a very shady area and want a little more glow in front, I'll flip on the fog lamps. I try to keep the main headlamps off as much as possible since they are the most difficult lamps to change and are expensive.

I'm not familiar with the functionality of DRLs on automatics, but it will be interesting to see what caused this. What's even more interesting is that the inspector must have caused this to happen, it would seem to be something that can be easily implemented by hand... cool.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
HoustonTX
Instructor

Actually I like the DRL's - I guess to each his own.
Yes, the turn signals do work - and the approach lights work.
I tried cycling the switch through all of the cycles - still no luck.
Yes, I may try disconnecting the battery and resetting - this is really driving me crazy!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:00 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet

If your DRLs have magically become disabled (and the turn signals still work fine), this is truly a blessing in disguise. If you wind up figuring out what caused this, please post it, very many people will be interested including me.

As most know, the bright filament in the turn signal bulbs (used for the DRLs) is really not designed to be on all the time so the DRL filaments tend to burn out prematurely. I always turn mine off before pulling out of the garage. I'll often just turn my parking lights on instead, this way I get the lower power front filaments glowing and low power rear light filaments glowing as well... and they last longer. If I'm going through a very shady area and want a little more glow in front, I'll flip on the fog lamps. I try to keep the main headlamps off as much as possible since they are the most difficult lamps to change and are expensive.

I'm not familiar with the functionality of DRLs on automatics, but it will be interesting to see what caused this. What's even more interesting is that the inspector must have caused this to happen, it would seem to be something that can be easily implemented by hand... cool.

I do the same when in garage pitch dark I hit the auto switch so they don't come on because they would go right back off immediately when outside. I would be worried that the bulb would burn out alot faster if it always came on.
I also shut off the twilight feature and horn and headlight for locking car in "Personal Options" settings in hopes of extending the life on these parts. Some people use these features all the time (not just Corvettes) I don't like it attracts attention and makes noise too.

If I remember correctly in 2005 when my DRL went out the turn signal didn't work?
Doesn't this bulb do double duty as both DRL and turn signal?

Last edited by LS WON; 08-01-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON

...If I remember correctly in 2005 when my DRL went out the turn signal didn't work? Doesn't this bulb do double duty as both DRL and turn signal?
Yes. To my knowledge, the DRL is the bright filament of the turn signal bulb being kept on at all times. It has been said that the bright filament in these bulbs was not originally designed to be kept on at all times, designed primarily for brake lights and turn signals, not full time use... burns very brightly, gets quite hot. As long as they are not too hard to change, then it's not a big deal, but the "bad" part is that when this DRL filament blows, you lose that turn signal, not the end of the world, but could be a headache if you're on a long trip and don't feel like messing with bulbs.

I have over 20k miles and 4 years on my car, I have not had any bulbs burn out yet. Though I often see C6s on the road coming at me with one DRL out.

It's the main headlights that are the biggest problem, I believe they are the hardest and most expensive to replace The main headlights always want to come on when I first start the car in my dark garage, so I hit the stalk right after I crank the engine, BEFORE they actually come on, and turn them off, I'm sure doing this adds a lot more life to those bulbs... having cold bulbs cycle on and off EVERY single time the car is started in my garage is surely not good for the bulbs.

I am a big believer in DRLs, anything that helps other drivers see you is a good thing. On my other cars that do not have DRLs I often just keep the headlights on during the day (on the cars that have cheap, easy to replace headlights ). The C6... I usually run the parking lamps and fog lights during the day. These lamps will have a longer life than the DRL filaments and even provide light behind the car which is not a bad thing when on shady mountain roads.

It's not a big deal, but I do wish that the stalk had a fully mechanic light switch set up so you could force the lights to remain off if you want as opposed to having them come on automatically when you start the car in darker areas (without having to remember to hit the stalk every time you start the car). But, this is a very minor "annoyance" on a car that is otherwise so perfect.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vet
Yes. To my knowledge, the DRL is the bright filament of the turn signal bulb being kept on at all times. It has been said that the bright filament in these bulbs was not originally designed to be kept on at all times, designed primarily for brake lights and turn signals, not full time use... burns very brightly, gets quite hot. As long as they are not too hard to change, then it's not a big deal, but the "bad" part is that when this DRL filament blows, you lose that turn signal, not the end of the world, but could be a headache if you're on a long trip and don't feel like messing with bulbs.

I have over 20k miles and 4 years on my car, I have not had any bulbs burn out yet. Though I often see C6s on the road coming at me with one DRL out.

It's the main headlights that are the biggest problem, I believe they are the hardest and most expensive to replace The main headlights always want to come on when I first start the car in my dark garage, so I hit the stalk right after I crank the engine, BEFORE they actually come on, and turn them off, I'm sure doing this adds a lot more life to those bulbs... having cold bulbs cycle on and off EVERY single time the car is started in my garage is surely not good for the bulbs.

I am a big believer in DRLs, anything that helps other drivers see you is a good thing. On my other cars that do not have DRLs I often just keep the headlights on during the day (on the cars that have cheap, easy to replace headlights ). The C6... I usually run the parking lamps and fog lights during the day. These lamps will have a longer life than the DRL filaments and even provide light behind the car which is not a bad thing when on shady mountain roads.

It's not a big deal, but I do wish that the stalk had a fully mechanic light switch set up so you could force the lights to remain off if you want as opposed to having them come on automatically when you start the car in darker areas (without having to remember to hit the stalk every time you start the car). But, this is a very minor "annoyance" on a car that is otherwise so perfect.

I will just keep hitting the auto switch just as I start car in dark garage so nothing comes on. If I want it to come on all I have to do is hit the switch again and DRL's come on.
Don't know what the cost is to replace HID low beams but I know they are alot and probably alot of trouble if you DIY.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:14 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
...If your DRLs have magically become disabled (and the turn signals still work fine), this is truly a blessing in disguise. If you wind up figuring out what caused this, please post it, very many people will be interested including me...
From my 09 owners manual:

"To turn off the DRL, turn the exterior lamp control to the OFF position... The DRL will stay off until the control is toggled again..."

This is from pg 3-16 of the Owners Manual: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...09corvette.pdf

(The exterior lamp control lever is illustrated on pg 3-14.)

The OM also says the DRL's are turned off when you shift to Park, and turn back on when you shift out of Park. But if you have a manual transmission, maybe the DRL's will stay off unless you reset them.

To the OP: If your 06 is like my 09, the OFF position is spring-loaded... it automatically returns to the AUTO position.

So, just as you described, you can be in the AUTO position with the DRL off.

You'd think the DRL would reset when the engine is turned off. But yours haven't, so apparently the reset is not automatic.

Try selecting the OFF position. I bet that resets your DRL. If that doesn't work, then twist the lever to the HEADLAMPS position, then back to AUTO.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 08-02-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
<snip>

As most know, the bright filament in the turn signal bulbs (used for the DRLs) is really not designed to be on all the time so the DRL filaments tend to burn out prematurely. <snip>

What's prematurely? My car's a daily driver for the past 46 months - 52K miles. Lights and battery are fine. No battery tender.

Get notified of new replies

To DRL's stopped working

Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
HoustonTX
Instructor

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Maybe it just looks that way.

That is, maybe it's really in the adjacent position ("OFF"). Or maybe it's in-between OFF and AUTO.

Anyway, get someone to twist the lamp control stalk thru all positions, while you watch from the front.

And of course make sure the light sensor (on top of the instrument panel) is not covered.
UPDATE - DRL's are working!!

Not sure what went wrong - but I ended up manually turning the switch up (as if to turn on the headlights) and it sprung back to the "Auto" position (like it is designed to do) and the DRL's started working again! I guess it wasn't locked into "Auto".

I thought for sure that I had tried cycling it through the positions before.....

Did I have my first "Senior Moment"???
Old 08-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Senior Moment? Only if you soiled your Depends.

Intermittent electronic gremlins are always hard to diagnose and many of the 'switches' in the C6 are more akin to the the left button on your mouse.

Once in awhile you just gotta give it another, more determined click.

Glad it worked out.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

So then there is no way to have DRL's always off? You have to use the auto switch before you start car to keep DRL's from coming on?

Quick Reply: DRL's stopped working