C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy, but need to fix driveway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:51 AM
John in MD
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy, but need to fix driveway

I'm looking to buy a C6, but need to do something with the curbing to my driveway before I can buy. As it sits now I'll scrape the nose of a C6 going up my driveway. I was going to look into having the curbing cut down but I just came across this from Griot's - http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...curb+bridge.do

Has anyone tried this and how did it work for you. The big advantage for me is that it would be quicker (and cheaper) than having the curb cut and part of the drive redone.

Thanks!

John
Old 08-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I have seen that but never seen one used in person. How bad will you be scraping? I scrape my air dam everytime I go in and out of my driveway, they are replaceable, cheap and easy to replace so if that's all that's hitting don't even worry about it IMO.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Scraping the cheapo air dam is just part of the program. That said, the Griots ramp you showed wouldn't work for me as it rains enough here that it would make it problematic and it sounds really heavy and a PITA to move around a lot. I'd have the work done if you really feel the need.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Remember that these things are only a portable fix....someone can pick them up and walk away w/it when you not watching....if only the air dam rubs then it's o.k. They were designed to be somewhat flexible and also not to cost allot because I think it's understood this sort of thing will happen because they are low....they do NOT cost allot either....test drive your Vette and bring it home and check it out....you might also turn at angle as I do when I drive my C6 'Z to work....the turn-in at work causes me to approach at angle, The dam does scrap alittle when angled in but nothing what would happen if I did not angle the car when turning in.....good hunting....lots of great pricing now on left-over '10 models....good financing rates too if ya plan to go that route....I got 0% for 60 on my '10 Z06....

Last edited by tim414; 08-01-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

I have the same problem getting in or out of my driveway. I need to replace my driveway so when they are here I'll have them add to the front of the driveway to eliminate the problem. This is one problem I don't have with the C-4 - dragging the air dams.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

If your driveway is similar to the one in the picture, you can get the same results by using Black Top Patch. (Home Depot, Lowes etc.) Comes in bags, easy to put down, fairly inexpensive and is permanent. You can also extend it across the entire drive. Good Luck
Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 AM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

There's plenty of other places where you'll scrape your front end anyhow!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're worried about someone stealing a $300 temporary bridge, make your own with some cheap lumber.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:51 PM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VettinFan
If your driveway is similar to the one in the picture, you can get the same results by using Black Top Patch. (Home Depot, Lowes etc.) Comes in bags, easy to put down, fairly inexpensive and is permanent. You can also extend it across the entire drive. Good Luck
I agree, and I've done it myself.

If you go this route, get some asphalt cleaner, I used simple green and scrub it with a firm brush to clean it. The asphalt patch will stick and become part of the underlying asphalt and form one piece, (unless it has a lot of driveway sealant on it).

I had a 8 inch section of concrete curbing between my paved driveway and the paved road. It had raised up and was causing problems. I used asphalt patch and built it up to a level height, and it has been fine for several years. Having a square asphalt tamper to press it in place and compress it slightly helps too.

Plus, working with asphalt is fun!

TomZ
Old 08-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Lay in a piece of PVC pipe to act as a 'culvert' under the asphalt patch material if you need drainage control.

+1 for the fun DIY project.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
C6VetteBoy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the other guys. The cheapo air dams were designed to scrape and flex. I wouldn't be too worried about it personally. That curb ramp does look neat though, but I'd be worried some body would take it off my driveway.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:11 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Use a couple of 1X4's with some concrete blocks on them to keep your lines straight to have a neater appearance. Fill and tamp until you have the height you want then move the 1X4's and pack down with another vehicle. Mines been holding for over 2 years.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:01 PM
John in MD
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I'll have to get to a dealer and measure the front ground clearance. I'm sure I'll scrape the front eventually, but I couldn't bear to do it each and every time I came home.

Thanks!

John
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 AM
drtli
CRAZFST
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sprang for the rubber "Bridge-It" 2-3 years ago after trying lots of other things (2X12s, etc) Really quality product. Drains water underneath, Stays put in the rain and doesn't wash away down the street like my 2X12s. I have 5 sections which are securely bolted together and weigh about 400# . It would be really hard to steal without taking it apart first which would be a real job in itself. It works great. Nice and soft to drive over and it eliminates scraping if you dont go over it too fast and compress the suspension. I slide it into the street every year and rinse out accumulated sand and leaves from under, otherwise maintainance free. Love it and would not be without it for my drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy, but need to fix driveway

Quick Reply: Looking to buy, but need to fix driveway