C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Let Me Drive A ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dealer Let Me Drive A ZR1

When I was negotiating with the Internet salesperson for my GS, I got the price down to where I wanted, but when she asked if we had a deal, I said, if you throw in a PAL we do. Anyway they had to order one and there was a mix up or something and it took longer then they said.

While I was waiting at the Dealer for them to install it, the salesperson comes up to me and says, "How would like to take a ZR1 for a spin". I told her to grab the keys and lets go. She said she had to go with me witch was fine with me. She gave me the fob to a Spiral Gray one, and off we went. It had 4 miles on it when we left. If anyone on Stemmons Frwy in Dallas saw a Gray blur go by around 10:30 AM, it was me. Not a lot traffic at that time of day, but way to much. What a car. All I can say is, what little time I spent in it makes me want one really really bad. Maybe I should trade the GS and the CTS-V in for one.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:23 AM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRR
When I was negotiating with the Internet salesperson for my GS, I got the price down to where I wanted, but when she asked if we had a deal, I said, if you throw in a PAL we do. Anyway they had to order one and there was a mix up or something and it took longer then they said.

While I was waiting at the Dealer for them to install it, the salesperson comes up to me and says, "How would like to take a ZR1 for a spin". I told her to grab the keys and lets go. She said she had to go with me witch was fine with me. She gave me the fob to a Spiral Gray one, and off we went. It had 4 miles on it when we left. If anyone on Stemmons Frwy in Dallas saw a Gray blur go by around 10:30 AM, it was me. Not a lot traffic at that time of day, but way to much. What a car. All I can say is, what little time I spent in it makes me want one really really bad. Maybe I should trade the GS and the CTS-V in for one.
No doubt.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:23 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Cool that you got to take a spin in a Cyber Gray ZR1
Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In an age where most people have problems even getting a test drive in a base Corvette, you get to test a ZR1? They must really like you at that dealership!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 PM
RACN1320
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
In an age where most people have problems even getting a test drive in a base Corvette, you get to test a ZR1? They must really like you at that dealership!
That's what I was just thinking
Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by vettedoogie

They probably felt bad because they made too much $$ off of the GS
Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM
jor8888
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe she wanted to ride it herself but shes not allowed to drive it alone lol.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:47 PM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jor8888
maybe she wanted to ride it herself but shes not allowed to drive it alone lol.
Bingo!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Hey, I bought an 08 Coupe from Friendly in Dallas. Think they'd let me drive a new ZR1? I might even talk about trading my GS. Too bad, talk would be about as far as I could go.
Cool that they let you drive one, though.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:11 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Smoky Mountain Chevrolet in Franklin, NC won't even let their SALESPEOPLE drive any of the very few base Corvettes they get. Your experience was a rare one!
Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

That is definitely cool you got to drive one.

But............................... I wouldn't want to be the guy/girl who ultimately buys that car. I personally don't understand why dealers would let anyone, including those who are OBVIOUSLY not going to buy one, go for a test drive in someone (when it sells) else's SUPERCAR.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 PM
PJRed2008
Pro

Originally Posted by ssmoke
But............................... I wouldn't want to be the guy/girl who ultimately buys that car. I personally don't understand why dealers would let anyone, including those who are OBVIOUSLY not going to buy one, go for a test drive in someone (when it sells) else's SUPERCAR.
That would be what the engine is for, to allow the car to be driven. Otherwise its just an extremely large paperweight.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Nice! I got to drive a ZR1 about 150 feet... I got to back it out of a trailer and then drive it to it's parking spot at a Corvette show up here. Despite reaching a peak speed of 7 mph, I enjoyed it just the same! As far as I know, this was/is the only ZR1 in Alaska.

Then last month, when I was buying my C6Z from a private seller in San Diego who also owns a '10 ZR1, I talked him into giving me a ride. So it was short but sweet... I got to hear the engine above 1000 rpm for the first time... and WOW. It's so different from my C6Z with that blower... it makes the car so much fun even when not romping on it.

How much of a test drive did you get? That's really cool!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:43 PM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by arcticblast
Hey, I bought an 08 Coupe from Friendly in Dallas. Think they'd let me drive a new ZR1? I might even talk about trading my GS. Too bad, talk would be about as far as I could go.
Cool that they let you drive one, though.

Friendly was where I was at.

TRR
Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

You test drove a ZR1 upon their invitation and were able to walk away from the dealership afterwards without the keys? What incredible willpower you must possess. I agree with the post above which read that the salesperson herself must have wanted to experience the thrill.

BTW, CONGRATS on the GS
Old 07-31-2010, 03:55 PM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetteuphoria
You test drove a ZR1 upon their invitation and were able to walk away from the dealership afterwards without the keys? What incredible willpower you must possess. I agree with the post above which read that the salesperson herself must have wanted to experience the thrill.
BTW, CONGRATS on the GS
She kept telling me to go ahead and punch it. I kept telling her, look if I punch it any more we're gonna run up some body's ****. We were just about back to the dealer and I was going to give her one more run when I saw a Dallas PD right in front of us.

TRR
Old 07-31-2010, 04:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by TRR
She kept telling me to go ahead and punch it. I kept telling her, look if I punch it any more we're gonna run up some body's ****. We were just about back to the dealer and I was going to give her one more run when I saw a Dallas PD right in front of us.

TRR
No doubt, she was just wanting the thrill and you got lucky.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer Let Me Drive A ZR1

Old 07-31-2010, 04:33 PM
ECV
Advanced

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
That would be what the engine is for, to allow the car to be driven. Otherwise its just an extremely large paperweight.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool I didn't get the opportunity to drive a my Z06 until I bought it, they did let me drive a automatic C6 just before signing that dotted lines.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:02 PM
7thgeneration
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

So were you both breathing heavily after the um er.... test drive ?

Quick Reply: Dealer Let Me Drive A ZR1