C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Washtubman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Dried wax is commonly removed by solvents (to harsh for roof) or peanut butter (oils work, believe it or not). I am not a fan of Dawn in car care and suspect they would not even suggest using on a Fabric Roof. While I am relucant to offer it, is there a small spot where you can try some peanut oil to see if it loosens the dried wax which is likely intewoven into the fabric. Once done, the oil will easily be removed by Ragtopp.
I saw on your website you sell the 303 products. Would that be worth a try, or is it about the same as Raggtopp?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Washtubman
Did you wet the top first or spray it on dry?
Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
In my detailing shop we put Ragg Top on a dry top and use a soft/medium stiff brush to scrub it. Don't be afraid to use some pressure when you scrub it, you won't wreck the top. You will if you use enough pressure to mangle the brush, but some decent pressure won't hurt anything. As stated on very tough stains we let it sit, scrub it and use water from a hose under pressure(Full or Jet setting). NOTE: not a pressure washer, a regular hose with a nozzle capable of delivering decent water pressure.
Very interesting. I can't recall reading anywhere on the directions that the RaggTop Cleaner is to be applied to a completely dry top. Mine's always been wet as a part of washing the car first. Now, I know something different!

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Washtubman
I saw on your website you sell the 303 products. Would that be worth a try, or is it about the same as Raggtopp?
303 makes some great products, their Aerospace Protectant is one of the best protectants, but I think you in the same area as Ragtopp in convertible care specifically.

I too might suggest trying on a dry roof too ..
Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Washtubman
Advanced

Well, today I did the "Dawn" tryout to remove the spot on my top. It really did not improve it at all. Next up is "Iosso" as suggested by one of the replies. So far 4 tries with RaggTopp and now the Dawn. Its really driving me crazy! I have not tried the peanut oil because that really makes me nervous. I must say my top is really, really clean except for that area!

Last edited by Washtubman; 08-09-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:25 AM
stevette17
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bought my vert used. its black not really faded but has the crease marks where the top goes down. if i use raggtop will the dissapear?
Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 866 Likes on 397 Posts

Try a commercial clothes cleaning product called "ZOUT". Works great on most stains. Also, if that does not work don't be afraid to use lighter fluid...(obviously don't smoke around it) it's an old dry cleaners trick that will remove the toughest stains. I was able to completely remove a large soakded in motor oil stain from a tan top with with it.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Caliber350
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Washtubman, did you ever get the stain out? If so, what product worked? Thanks!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stevette17
bought my vert used. its black not really faded but has the crease marks where the top goes down. if i use raggtop will the dissapear?
My vert is sitting in the garage now after dawn and ragtop cleaner and I still see the crease marks. I may try lighter fluid next. Has anyone tried toothpaste? I understand you can clean crummy headlight covers with toothpaste rather than buy the headlight cleaner kit. I wonder if toothpaste would bleach the color out.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 PM
doubledime
Pro

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
In the video is does touch on it lightly, best bet is to wipe off the overspray from protectant while its still damp. If you find it hard to remove, use a little glass cleaner and its comes up quickly.
Used Raggtop from Auto Geek last week. Did 3 coats (Didn't mask, just was very careful and wipe over spray off immediately.) I highly recommend it. Just let dry over night.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Cleaning