C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Mods Add or Detract Value

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Jeremyknapp
mods are funny in the aspect that they are worth more only to those who were planning to do the same.but on the other hand makes one wonder how the car has been driven and really deters people who don't want mods. definately will not get most of your money back. imho...only do high dollar performance mods if : 1) you have expendable money to burn 2) if you are planning on keeping the car..........just my $0.02
Good way to look at it.

Originally Posted by Xedes
It all depends on the buyer. It seems that the older people look at my car as if I just put the word "pimp" in diamonds on the Holy Grail but the younger crowd stare with mouths open and give me the . So obviously if I go to sell, I'll advertise on the net and not in Readers Digest.

Originally Posted by Racer44
For the most part the mods are a losing proposition, you do them because you want them knowing you are going to lose around 50%-100% of what they cost you. Of course, if you do a widebody, it will be worth more than a stock Vette to the right person, but you will still lose a ton of money compared to what you put into it.

I just sold my C5 Heads/cam coupe, and I removed the CCW wheels and a few other things to try and at least get some money back (which I did) but for the most part, car sold just a tad more than bluebook, and that is only because they buyer I had was selling his modded M3, so my mods on the C5 did not scare him off.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:57 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Truth is that performance mods are a positive if the buyer wants them and knows who and how the car was modded and driven thereafter. Does that mean it is a positive from a price standpoint? That is a matter of opinion also.

What anyone looking at ANY USED Corvette needs to be sure of is that the car hasn't just been RETURNED TO STOCK after having been modded and driven like it was stolen. I suspect that lots of guys are doing this and not telling the truth about it. Buyer beware! Getting a service history printed out from a GM dealer can help determine the truth.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 07-29-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just look at the For Sale section here. There are dozens of MODDED C6's for sale, some have been trying to sell for months, nobody is touching them. Put a clean, un-modded C6, and the thing sells relatively quickly.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
Just look at the For Sale section here. There are dozens of MODDED C6's for sale, some have been trying to sell for months, nobody is touching them. Put a clean, un-modded C6, and the thing sells relatively quickly.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

NOPE........................
Old 07-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Vette 5.5,

Also the the long tube's even with cat's, will make it fail a visual emission inspection in many state's.
Can you elaborate, please?

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Curti
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OP has read ALL of the responses. Where else would I find a group of folks with the combined knowledge as is on this forum. The consensus of opinion is unanimous.
I am 66 years old and I have the 11 grand but I didn't get the 11 grand by spending foolishly. The 'thought' of 500+ RWHP is very attractive. Would I use it; probably not.
Pulling up next to a hemi challenger or a ricer and just knowing I could blow him away is a good feeling. But not $11,000 good. Points well taken; I'll save my money for a ZR1 the only problem there is, it ain't a vert!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:07 PM
grumpy63
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default mods

To some extent you will reduce the value of the vehicle by however much it costs to put it back into stock condition. So if you install a set of headers it will reduce the value by how much it would cost to remove the headrers and put everything back to stock. It has very little to do with how much you spend on the mod but more a factor of the cost to restore it to stock. This is less of a factor with newer vettes but the older the vette gets the more this is true. I also have a 63 SWC and it is a big factor with these cars.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't get a tiny fraction of that money back. Depending on the boost you may destroy your engine. You may destroy the clutch, rear end, everything. It's a money pit. You can't just drop on a SC and expect everything to stay in good shape.

One little scent that serious performance mods have been made to a performance car should be a red light for any smart buyer. People almost always do performance mods to go faster. Even if they don't flat out abuse their cars the strain of the extra power will cause much faster engine wear etc.

You want to go faster save your money and get a Z06 that's still in warranty. Make certain ( if this is even possible ) that it's never been tuned. Then enjoy it as it left the factory.

You put $11 k in SC and other stuff on your engine get ready for a total cash outlay of minimum $15,000 up to easily $25,000 after you have to replace the engine.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Ten-Zing
Instructor

Has the option of selling the perf/mods been put out yet?

Keep the stock equip when modding a car, when your ready to move on, put it to stock, sell it. Then come here and sell a slightly used S/C, headers, etc. kits in swap.

You'll get a real kick out of it when the guy searching for a "stock" Vette buys it from you local then hits you up on CF looking at your used S/C and he's looking to "mod" his newly used stock Vette!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:21 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Curti
The OP has read ALL of the responses. Where else would I find a group of folks with the combined knowledge as is on this forum. The consensus of opinion is unanimous.
I am 66 years old and I have the 11 grand but I didn't get the 11 grand by spending foolishly. The 'thought' of 500+ RWHP is very attractive. Would I use it; probably not.
Pulling up next to a hemi challenger or a ricer and just knowing I could blow him away is a good feeling. But not $11,000 good. Points well taken; I'll save my money for a ZR1 the only problem there is, it ain't a vert!
If you take your time and find a good used supercharger and headers, it wouldn't cost you any where close to $11K.

I bet you would use the 500+ RWHP a lot more than you think if you have it.

Lastly, if you purchased a ZR1, I think you would lose a lot more than $11K in depreciation by the time you sell it.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken H.
I suspect that the used Corvette market has far more people who would like to buy a car that has no mods. .
100%. And if you're trading your car in at a Chevy dealer, the most desirable Corvette has NO MODS.

The more mods, the less it's worth to the average used Vette buyer.

Why? Because most used Corvette buyers see mods and say ... "This car has had the **** run out of it!"

May not be true, but that's what they're thinkin'.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
Vette 5.5,

Can you elaborate, please?

Thanks.
Some state's will actually put the car up on a hoist and do an undercarriage inspection to make sure everything's as came from the factory when it was EPA certified. Sound's silly, but locating the cat's further downstream from the engine exhaust port's as in long tube's, take's them longer to light off and actually become effective. Plus the aftermarket cat's aren't part of EPA certified package. Area's of California and other state's are pretty touchy about this. You'll probably pass the sniffer test once everything is warmed up with some mod's and feeling green, but good checking with the inspection policies in your area first.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kevakasper
All cars are a depreciating asset, The parts on them depreciate as well. If replacing parts to maintain a car, the cost of those parts does not gain the car any value, as it is just that, maintaing a "level" that the car is worth at that point in time. Adding a bunch of after market parts does not add value to a vehicle. As stated in the posts above you limit your resale options, and take yourself out of any pre-detemined depreciation tables (KBB, Edmunds etc.) You also now have the stigma of how the car was driven and cared for. You would be better served taking that $ and re investing in a newer, faster, stock model of what you have than by adding all of the aftermarket stuff to yours. But again if you plan to keep the car, do what you want, what makes YOU happy and forget what anyone else thinks. But don't expect to add value to your car with the money you add to it with the Mods.

Man, there is some great advice coming out on this thread. I can't add anything, really, except my endorsement of what's already been said. We used to have a saying when I was in the car business: "Whatever it cost to make those modifications, it's going to cost that much to remove them".

As others have suggested, your best bet when you go to sell it is to find a buyer who shares your philosophy. Ironically, your best bet might be to trade it in and make no mention of the mods.Sad, huh?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

It all depends on the buyer. It seems that the older people look at my car as if I just put the word "pimp" in diamonds on the Holy Grail but the younger crowd stare with mouths open and give me the . So obviously if I go to sell, I'll advertise on the net and not in Readers Digest.
I think I resent this post.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 PM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I'm not sure I would have a hard time finding a buyer as for the most part mods make a great car. However, many of you are correct, if its not what you want its going to be looked at as negative to buyers who do not want those specific mods. So its up to you, if you think many people would like what you like then you can feel free to mod and know you will have many to sell to when you are done with the car. I would never mod a car I was just going to keep for a few years...totally not worth the money.

So if you can keep the car and have some money to burn go for it - I did and got a great car, much more powerful than any ZO6 and it'd be a close match with a ZR1 even...lol

I'm not sure after everything done I could even drive a standard C6....it really feels different.

I don't think there's anyone alive that wouldn't want to buy this beauty..... :P

Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Stereotyped again.
Older guy here. I bought a C5 that had headers, X pipe, B&B bullets, and increased intake a few years ago. It was worth more to me because of the mods.

When selling, it didn't seem to make much difference.

I would not spend $11,000 on mods unless I was planning to get that much enjoyment out of them. You probably can get some of it back when you sell, and you may even find a buyer that wants exactly what you have done. If you are increasing power, are you going to need to beef up the transmission?

Get notified of new replies

To Do Mods Add or Detract Value

Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, you really can't judge people by their age sometime's. While not a Vette, my brother recently sold a Buick Regal supercharged to a woman well into her 70's. She couldn't keep her foot out of it on the test drive. Sometime's you just dont know.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
bahamutzyro
Racer

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Q) Generally speaking, will these mods make the car more or less desireable for resale?

A) Much less desireable.

Q) Would I expect to get any portion of that $11,000 back at resale time?

A) No, that will be gone, and then some.

Q) Would it actually make the car worth less?

A) Yes, for sure.
lol absolutely untrue. it makes your car worth more and you definitely would get back more. not all your money back, but you will get more.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting discussion.

For those of you who say that you would avoid purchasing a modded car I have a question for you.

Would you have any reservations about buying a car modded by Callaway, Lingenfelter or Katech?

Quick Reply: Do Mods Add or Detract Value