C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Vette hit--repair facility of insurance co. wants to patch

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

That's not true. GEICO is number one in customer satisfaction for a reason.

And I speak from experience with them for 30 years and when two years ago my 05 was totaled by a woman running a red light.

I know, radar detectors, radar guns blah, blah, blah.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 07-28-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I take it you like Geico?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:47 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette50
I just spoke with someone at Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD. This shop has a great reputation. He said that whether to patch or replace depends on the amount of damage. Also that when a panel is replaced, it rarely lines up. If it's a small crack, he recommends repairing. Interesting!
I know the guys at Tony's their good people. They will do right by you. I know your pain about Christwell's their dogs. The insurance question is a toughy but here's my take on it. State farm WILL low ball you,that's their business. You need to to get your insurance involved,he// you may wind up needing a lawyer to fight both insurance companies. I hope it don't come to that but be prepared. Tony's will give you a fair and honest estimate and they are beholding to no insurance comapany. BUT YOU NEED TO STICK TO YOUR GUNS A BE THAT BIT/H IF NESSARY. GOOD LUCK
Old 07-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by AORoads
I take it you like Geico?
When I reported the accident to GEICO, the rep first asked if anyone was hurt. The second questions was, "do you have a preferred body shop that you would like us to take the car to?" Every person from GEICO that I interacted with during the claim process was professional, accommodating and pleasant to work with. I ended up with an extremely fair appraisal for my old car and moved from a 3 year old full up 05 with 32,000 miles to a similar ordered 09 for $12,000. My experience with them was exceptional.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I just spoke with someone at Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD. This shop has a great reputation. He said that whether to patch or replace depends on the amount of damage. Also that when a panel is replaced, it rarely lines up. If it's a small crack, he recommends repairing. Interesting!
That is surprising, no shocking! Many of us on the forum have done wide body conversions and the panels line up perfectly.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
When I reported the accident to GEICO, the rep first asked if anyone was hurt. The second questions was, "do you have a preferred body shop that you would like us to take the car to?" Every person from GEICO that I interacted with during the claim process was professional, accommodating and pleasant to work with. I ended up with an extremely fair appraisal for my old car and moved from a 3 year old full up 05 with 32,000 miles to a similar ordered 09 for $12,000. My experience with them was exceptional.
Nothing wrong with Gecko. They are a good company.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM
C5C6Sell
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hadn't done that yet. My insurance is USAA. I'll call them. Thanks for the advice.
We have USAA, they'll make it right and go after the other insurance co.
Good luck
Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM
99c54me
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
That's not true. GEICO is number one in customer satisfaction for a reason.

And I speak from experience with them for 30 years and when two years ago my 05 was totaled by a woman running a red light.

I know, radar detectors, radar guns blah, blah, blah.
I have noting good to say about Geico. I've never been a customer, rate quotes have been to high.

My personal experience, being hit by a Gieco customer, was horrible. Geico tried to place partial blame on me even with the facts clearly stating I was not moving. Their driver said the light turned green and I didn't move fast enough, so I was partially to blame for being hit from behind. Unreal. My ins co said no surprise with Geico and paid in full, no fault. I have friends/coworkers with many similar stories.

F Geico.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Everybody has a story. Not being a customer, yours doesn't really count. Sounds like the other driver blamed you.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Is that picture suppose to show damage? Just go get it fixed Sally. sheesh....
Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bizaro
Is that picture suppose to show damage? Just go get it fixed Sally. sheesh....
Name's not Sally.

I'm glad that there are so many members that take questions seriously and give constructive answers on this forum.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by BSSN
BS. Car should be in identical condition to before the incident. DO NOT ACCEPT anything less.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 PM
mgtr
Pro

I would also ask that they rent a Corvette for you to drive, and claim $500 reduction in car value due to a Carfax caused by their customer. They will probably give your something. On the car rental, don't fall for the scam that they only allow $20 a day, or whatever. That applies to their customers, not to cars which their customers damaged.
I raise these issues, because I had a pristine car 20 years ago, and like you, some idiot ran into it. I called my attorney informally, and he recommened the above strategies. They worked.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

First off, unless you get a lawyer, you're going to have to be your own advocate here. You have a $60K ish car that has suffered significant damage due to someone else's carelessness/negligence. In addition to physical damages - requiring the proper repair of your car which you are entitled to, you are also entitled to "diminished value" damages, to make up for the loss of value your car will suffer, regardless of how it is repaired (or not). You also have a loss of use issue to consider.

Although the idea is abhorent, you may want to consider retaining an attorney in your State. No doubt they get a piece of the action if successful, but it might be the only way you can get a fair shake.

My recommendation is get the car properly repaired by replacing damaged parts with Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts and having a repair shop experienced with and good with Corvette repairs do the work. However, in most cases the car will never look the same and may not drive the same either. At that point your best bet would be to sell or trade it. Look at the bright side - it might provide the means and motivation for getting that new Grand Sport vert you were thinking of.

Keep your chin up and good luck.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Carjo,

However, in most cases the car will never look the same and may not drive the same either. At that point your best bet would be to sell or trade it.

Did you even read the first post here????? The damage is barely noticeable. Come back to reality.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Insurance companies report claims to a central organization for which all of them have access as to your claims, accidents, etc. Just because you don't tell your insurance company does not mean that they will not know about it. The rating given to a driver varies according to each company's own standards. While you are not at fault, it is still an "incident" that can affect your policy and cost. If too many accumulate your rate is sure to rise.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

To they guys who say "Call your own insurance company" you guys are smokin crack. Your insurance company is going to penalize you for this and they will do nothing for you.
The only thing they possibly could do is cover your loss minus your deductable if the other insurance company won't cover it or if the driver had no insurance.
Trust me on this one. I have been involved in 3 accidents where it wasn't my fault and I called my insurance company 1 time and it was a big mistake.
The time I called, my Camaro was totalled and I didn't have full coverage on that particular car, my other Camaro did have it. They said there is nothing they can do, proceded to get all my info about the crash and then jacked up my rates leaving me to pay the 4 grand and sue the lady to get it back. I won the lawsuit but never got a dollar and I was in college and therefore poor so it pissed me off.

Get notified of new replies

To My Vette hit--repair facility of insurance co. wants to patch

Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

The reality of the situation is that this is very minor damage and can easily be repaired by any competent body shop. I can't believe any adjuster would allow for a complete panel replacement given the limited extent of the damage.

A proper repair, with appropriate blending of the paint, should be undetectable when finished.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ryoder
To they guys who say "Call your own insurance company" you guys are smokin crack. Your insurance company is going to penalize you for this and they will do nothing for you.
The only thing they possibly could do is cover your loss minus your deductible if the other insurance company won't cover it or if the driver had no insurance.
Then you need to find a better insurance company. I had an accident about 6 years ago. Cruising along in the fast lane, looked down for some reason then looked up to find the truck in front was making an emergency stop. Nowhere to go because of traffic and so little time. About $6K damage. State Farm recommended a local body shop that had very high ratings from people who had used it. Shop said they could get new bumper or patched but they recommended new and State Farm usually wanted new (Ok, might have been shop inflating bill?) so I got all new parts. Repair was almost undetectable unless you know where to look. It would have been no different if it were the other guy's fault. State Farm wants the car fixed right and me happy so I keep paying them.

Next renewal my rate went DOWN because the car was 6 months older. If you've been with them a few years they don't raise rates because of an accident even if it was your fault. The reason for raising rates is you demonstrate you are a bad risk when you have an accident. But if you have a good track record with them they know it was a fluke.

If you aren't their customer my understanding is the story is very different.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 AM
VETTE RN835
Instructor

Default accident

I can be a real b____ if I have to be. I just have a feeling that State Farm is going to tell me that I'll have to pay the difference. I appreciate the reply because men handle matters differently than women. I did tell them not to start on it until I get back to them so I could get some feedback.
Put your big girl panties on,and fight for what is right(Im a woman too) Dont let anybody push you around, and they will try, because you are a woman!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: My Vette hit--repair facility of insurance co. wants to patch