C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How has your 'vette been?
My stock LS3 has had a valve/rocker arm or piston (etc) failure
0%
My non-stock LS3 has had a valve/rocker arm or piston (etc.) failure.
0.60%
My LS3 is just fine.
53.89%
My stock LS7 has had a valve failure
0%
My stock LS7 has had a rocker-arm failure
0%
My stock LS7 has had a piston failure
0%
My non-stock LS7 has had a valve failure
0%
My non-stock LS7 has had a rocker-arm failure
0%
My non-stock LS7 has had a piston failure
0%
My LS7 is just fine.
14.37%
My 2008-2010 Tremec 6060 grinds even when warmed up
2.40%
My 2008-2010 Tremec 6060 grinds only when cold
7.78%
My 2008-2010 Tremec 6060 doesn't have any issues
19.16%
My A6 has shift issues when warm
3.59%
My A6 his shift issues when cold
4.79%
My A6 does not have shift issues
22.75%
My magnetic shock(s) (F55 option) have failed
0%
My magnetic shock(s) (F55 option) have not failed
19.16%
I can tell my F55 option does something when I switch modes
17.37%
I can't tell that my F55 option works, but I trust that it does
3.59%
My removable top makes noise when going over bumps/expansion joints
24.55%
My removable top is as solid as a hardtop as far as I can tell
27.54%
I have broken the rear-end or a half-shaft (stock)
2.40%
I have broken the rear-end or a half-shaft (not stock)
0%
I have not broken the rear-end or a half-shaft (stock)
44.31%
I have not broken the rear-end or a half-shaft (not stock)
5.99%
I am happy with my corvette and will/would buy again
81.44%
I have enjoyed my corvette, but would probably not buy again
3.59%
I have not enjoyed owning this car and would not buy again
1.20%
My convertable top works well
14.37%
I have had issues with the convertable top
1.80%
I have had sway-bar bushing issues
4.19%
I have not had sway-bar issues.
47.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

The Big FAIL(or not) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Confusing poll, too many options, leaves too many cars out (pre-2008's). Mustn't be anything on TV tonight........
Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
but why? it seems a lot of your posts are just meant to search out issue with these cars. They are relatively very reliable cars and most issues are likely modification caused or user error/abuse.
Just looking before I leap. I didn't look hard enough for issues on the last car I bought (2001 WS6) and it came back to bite me on the ****. I was a member of LS1tech for years before I bought the car, but I never went to the "general" section, nor did I pay attention to the nay-sayers and they were quickly shouted down by the F-body faithful.

What did it get me? A black-hole that sucked money and broke nearly once a month on average for the 3 years I owned it.

What did I then do? I traded it on a car that got awesome forum reviews except for its motor-mounts. What has happened? The car has been flawless--after I replaced the torn motor mounts (Infiniti).

Yes, I am looking for flaws. However, I am coming to the conclusion that the LS3 powered 'vette is as good, or better than anything in its price-range regarding performance vs. durability.

Everything has problems--the GT500's grind gears, the 370Z's overheat, the GT-R's blow transmissions, etc. etc.

The C6 has relatively few issues from what I have seen. The 2011 transmission mods should fix the gear-grinding with the TR6060.

So far, since people here want REAL numbers, the PPh for the corvette is 71 (2009, when I looked at them in 2005, just ogling the car, they had a PPH of 100. Just looking at the car now I can tell its better made. THe body panels line up and there is no more trash in the paint). The ownership satisfaction (% of people who would "definitely buy it again) was 89%, compared to the only car that beat it, at 92% (A Prius for crying out loud. My former roommate's Xgf had a prius, and in my opinion they are nice cars--if you're a vegan. )

Last edited by BSSN; 07-21-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
Just looking before I leap. I didn't look hard enough for issues on the last car I bought (2001 WS6) and it came back to bite me on the ****. I was a member of LS1tech for years before I bought the car, but I never went to the "general" section, nor did I pay attention to the nay-sayers and they were quickly shouted down by the F-body faithful.

What did it get me? A black-hole that sucked money and broke nearly once a month on average for the 3 years I owned it.

What did I then do? I traded it on a car that got awesome forum reviews except for its motor-mounts. What has happened? The car has been flawless--after I replaced the torn motor mounts (Infiniti).

Yes, I am looking for flaws. However, I am coming to the conclusion that the LS3 powered 'vette is as good, or better than anything in its price-range regarding performance vs. durability.

Everything has problems--the GT500's grind gears, the 370Z's overheat, the GT-R's blow transmissions, etc. etc.

The C6 has relatively few issues from what I have seen. The 2011 transmission mods should fix the gear-grinding with the TR6060.

So far, since people here want REAL numbers, the PPh for the corvette is 71 (2009, when I looked at them in 2005, just ogling the car, they had a PPH of 100. Just looking at the car now I can tell its better made. THe body panels line up and there is no more trash in the paint). The ownership satisfaction (% of people who would "definitely buy it again) was 89%, compared to the only car that beat it, at 92% (A Prius for crying out loud. My former roommate's Xgf had a prius, and in my opinion they are nice cars--if you're a vegan. )
Life is too short to analyze it to death, live it.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Confusing poll, too many options, leaves too many cars out (pre-2008's). Mustn't be anything on TV tonight........
My TV just gathers dust anyway. Stopped watching TV when I was 13. Preferred reading, unless CSI was on, or Dexter, or house. But mostly reading. Thankful for it, I was the only guy who would sit down and slam through a text-book page by page in college. I was also one of the approximately 25% that graduated with my original group

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Life is too short to analyze it to death, live it.
Won't have the cash to buy until Jan/Feb 2011. Might as well research it in the mean time.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

if the LS3s and TR6060s have so many problems, why not get an LS2/T56 Corvette and save some cash? every car has a lot of issue according to the internet.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:09 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by m48xhp
if the LS3s and TR6060s have so many problems, why not get an LS2/T56 Corvette and save some cash? every car has a lot of issue according to the internet.
LS3 appears issue free and the extra 40-50whp is nice. TR6060 is getting a fix for 2011. Buy new. Not someone else's problem.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I don't see anything skewed or biased about the poll or the way the questions are worded.

Sure, the sample will be a bit small. When someone else comes up with a better poll, then we'll use it. Until then, this one will be interesting.

Consumer reports does a good job of collecting reliability data, but their categories are so broad that often it's tough to figure out what the problems actually are.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

LS3 appears issue free and the extra 40-50whp is nice. TR6060 is getting a fix for 2011. Buy new. Not someone else's problem.
What if some other problem (not happening now) creeps up in the 2011's??!!!!

I bought used, saved 30k versus buying new, and it hasn't been to the dealer once
Old 07-22-2010, 12:51 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

What if some other problem (not happening now) creeps up in the 2011's??!!!!

I bought used, saved 30k versus buying new, and it hasn't been to the dealer once
I would just rather buy new. Bought used every time before and dreamed of the day I could buy a car that someone didn't get rid of for one reason or another. Once I buy this, I will probably revert back to buying used again in the future, but would like a new car for once.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

I would just rather buy new. Bought used every time before and dreamed of the day I could buy a car that someone didn't get rid of for one reason or another. Once I buy this, I will probably revert back to buying used again in the future, but would like a new car for once.
I did the same thing you're about to do. My first 2 *new* cars were 2005 GTO and 2007 Corvette Z51....(I owned the GTO for 1.5 years, the vette 2.5 years). It was nice having new......no scratches, new car smell etc. But cars that are driven get little nicks here and there....no matter how well I would care for the car I'd get a stone hit on the highway or find a scratch somehow. I was paranoid to keep the cars "new" but in the end trading them in or selling them...they were still "used" cars to everyone else.

I got the new car bug out of me, don't think I'll be buying new ever again.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

I did the same thing you're about to do. My first 2 *new* cars were 2005 GTO and 2007 Corvette Z51....(I owned the GTO for 1.5 years, the vette 2.5 years). It was nice having new......no scratches, new car smell etc. But cars that are driven get little nicks here and there....no matter how well I would care for the car I'd get a stone hit on the highway or find a scratch somehow. I was paranoid to keep the cars "new" but in the end trading them in or selling them...they were still "used" cars to everyone else.

I got the new car bug out of me, don't think I'll be buying new ever again.
This will be a weekend car, so yes, it will still get dings here and there I am sure, but I too need to exorcise the new-car demon within. Grew up rather poor (food stamps and govt. housing, never missed a meal though, so nothing extreme) and never had anyone in the family buy a new car. Never had any friends who got a "new" car until I got into highschool.

Bottom line? I used to sell cars and know exactly what kind of "value" loss I will get, but I consider that the price of admission. I don't need a new car, but then, I don't need a $55K car either. I'm no-longer living a lifestyle where I base everything on need. It's nice.

Besides, when there is a ding, I will know where it came from. Also, I will probably sell it to a friend instead of trade it back in. I know lots of people who buy 'vettes who will be up for a "new" one by the time I am ready to trade in.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Loved my C6 coupe so much that after two years I traded for a Z06.

Love them both immensely.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I don't see anything skewed or biased about the poll or the way the questions are worded.

Sure, the sample will be a bit small. When someone else comes up with a better poll, then we'll use it. Until then, this one will be interesting.

Consumer reports does a good job of collecting reliability data, but their categories are so broad that often it's tough to figure out what the problems actually are.
I have no issues with people posting polls, I think it's a cool feature of the forum. My issues is this: He makes general statements and comments/assumptions that are just not true. I'll give you a perfect example: "LS7's as daily drivers like to drop valves" from his other thread. "

He then goes around saying the LS7 is not a good motor and the LS3 is better blah blah blah. As you mentioned, the sample will be very small. Therefore it's not accurate. He admitted himself the poll is flawed if you go back and read his eariler post in this thread. So what logic is there to base decisions off information that is flawed or not entirely accurate

If you just want to survey the forum like he is doing..hey it's all good... Get a feel for what is out there, that;s totally cool.but then don't go making assumptions and statements based off that small sample of people that are simply not true.

As of now this poll has about 79 responses, and over 440 views...that right there shows a good deal of people have not even take the poll...how many have vettes but choose not to participate?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Roush
The Big FAIL seems to have described it perfectly
Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Well, the thread is serving its purpose. Downpayment being saved at a good rate.

Bank told me to talk to them around the end of Feb. Hoping to join the Z06 crowd shortly thereafter.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 PM
gixxerrob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, even though my Vette has been in the shop for the last 85 days, I did enjoy driving the car for the first 35 days I owned it. I just can't remember how it drives any more. Can't wait to get it back.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2009 Coupe is the 3rd Corvette I've owned. My first was a 1993 convertible that had lots of issues. Bought it used and didn't hold on to it long because of the problems. Bought a 2002 C5 Coupe to replace it. It was a great car and very reliable. Bought a 2009 C6 Couple to replace the C5. So far its been just as good a car and maybe even better. No problems with the engine, sway bars, or half shafts. I have minor noise issues with the roof panel. I didn't mark any of the manual transmission questions. The transmission is slightly "stiff" when its cold, but I wouldn't call it grinding. Overall I love the car and its performance.

Over all the years that I've owned Corvettes and been in Corvette clubs, the only real catastrophic failures that I've seen (other than my '93) are with cars that have been modified or are old enough that parts have worn out. I think GM builds the cars pretty darn strong in stock form.

- Mark

Get notified of new replies

To The Big FAIL(or not) Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:39 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
I have no issues with people posting polls, I think it's a cool feature of the forum. My issues is this: He makes general statements and comments/assumptions that are just not true. I'll give you a perfect example: "LS7's as daily drivers like to drop valves" from his other thread. "

He then goes around saying the LS7 is not a good motor and the LS3 is better blah blah blah. As you mentioned, the sample will be very small. Therefore it's not accurate. He admitted himself the poll is flawed if you go back and read his eariler post in this thread. So what logic is there to base decisions off information that is flawed or not entirely accurate

If you just want to survey the forum like he is doing..hey it's all good... Get a feel for what is out there, that;s totally cool.but then don't go making assumptions and statements based off that small sample of people that are simply not true.

As of now this poll has about 79 responses, and over 440 views...that right there shows a good deal of people have not even take the poll...how many have vettes but choose not to participate?

--CLIFF NOTES FOR THE ABOVE STATEMENT--

OP said something bad about my car and now I'm going to harass him.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:44 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, the thread is serving its purpose. Downpayment being saved at a good rate.

Bank told me to talk to them around the end of Feb. Hoping to join the Z06 crowd shortly thereafter.
so you are taking the statistics gathered in this poll do determine the Z06 has fewer problems......
Old 10-31-2010, 01:47 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noone will ever be completely happy of course. Sometimes you say "something sucks" and someone says "noone on the forum says so, so it's wrong". Then you get a huge list of forum people with the issue and it's "Well those numbers are skewed", so until someone finds out what is in GM's service computer records, I challenge you to do better.

Or you could just say that my poll has flaws, which we all know it does. But then, you might as well go make fun of Ray Charles for being blind.
We have covered this so many times, I doubt there is anything to be gained. There appears to be three groups that owners fall into.

Group 1. No problems at all, or problems that were covered under warranty. There is not a car made that does not fall into this category regardless of price tag or where it was made.

Group 2. Problems because something was changed on the car and owners understand that is the risk when modifying the car. These owners don't just blame GM for the failure, they understand that they have some skin in that game.

Group 3. Problems with the car because something was changed and the owner does not want to accept the risks that go along with modding the car. They blame GM for all their problems and get all bent out of shape when GM refuses to pay for the trouble created.

You will never get an accurate summary because as stated already, this forum is a very small portion of total owners and probably the most vocal of all owners in existence.