C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 AM
beerbarrel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me?

I have no desire to mod my car in anyway. Are there more folks on here that feel that way? My car, an LS2, is plenty fast for me. I think if I were to do a mod, I would just upgrade to a LS3 or Z06.

I did put new Lloyd floormats in BTW.

Tracy
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

its just you
Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
epic
Racer

Stock cars are boring.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 AM
beerbarrel
Instructor

They may be boring, but the are reliable!

Originally Posted by epic
Stock cars are boring.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beerbarrel
I have no desire to mod my car in anyway. Are there more folks on here that feel that way? My car, an LS2, is plenty fast for me. I think if I were to do a mod, I would just upgrade to a LS3 or Z06.

Tracy
It's not just you. Haven't done anything dramatic to my car other than tint the windows and put on an Exhaust Commander. I did paint the "Corvette" on the back bumper, I almost forgot. Is that getting too crazy? Ha I have no intention of adding headers, cam, exhaust, spoilers, etc.

Have your car to your liking!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

Stock cars are boring.
What's really boring is when you get denied a warranty claim because of a mod!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 AM
DriverC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You aren't alone. At Bloomington Gold this year, there were a Lot of late model Vettes and, except exhaust, very few mods, not even many aftermarket wheels. The stock Corvette is an exceptional car as is, great looks, great handling, plenty of power, all with dailiy driver suitability. Terrific car, stock or modified.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 334 Posts

They may be boring, but the are reliable!
Lots of mods can be done that don't effect reliability, but can improve driveability, handling & comfort. Wheels & tires, shocks, exhaust, chassis stiffening plate (especially on Verts), even headers & tunes. All depends upon your personal preferences.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

I think to see any real performance gains you have to go beyond the typical intake (air filter) and cat back exhaust mods that most people make. Once you get to cam, heads, tune etc. the dollars become pretty significant and there are trade offs with reliablility and driveability to gain 40-50+ HP. I intend to stay pretty much stock and keep the GMPP warranty in effect and enjoy the humble 430HP the car was born with.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM
epic
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
What's really boring is when you get denied a warranty claim because of a mod!
I guess I just enjoy having something different and not something anyone can go buy today.

Half the fun of these cars is modding them and being proud of what you did.

Live a little.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM
G Morse
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

No, you are not alone. I have a 2007 coupe and the only thing I have done is replaced the original floor mats with the Llyods. The car has been so much fun to drive. I especially like to go up on the Blueridge Parkway and use the paddle shifters to play road course driving. I do almost all of my spirited driving in a straight line. For example, I have a favorite place (out in the country away from law enforcement officers) where I launch it in the WOT mode. What a rush. I too believe that the power and all the other features my Corvette has available, is plenty for me.

I have nothing against Corvette owners who wish to mod their cars. It is an individual preference.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

I have not done any engine mods and have no plans to do any. Hopefully in the next few years I will trade up to a Z06 or perhaps the new C7 if that happens. For now 436 hp is enough for me on the street. Have to admit I do love the power and the more the better in my book.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I just enjoy having something different and not something anyone can go buy today.

Half the fun of these cars is modding them and being proud of what you did.

Live a little.

I'm with you. I like to have something that sets mine apart for the others. To each his own though. Not a big deal if you don't mod.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM
chupr0kabra
Instructor

I spent a lot of time, effort, and money modding my Z28, and while I was pleased with the end result, there were a lot of trade offs. When I test drove my C6 (used '06), I remember thinking, 'Oh, right. This is what a car feels like when all the parts were designed to actually work together.'

The only thing I've done so far is change the wheels. There are some other things I'd like to do, such as upgrading the stereo system, but that's about it for the foreseeable future. I bought the extended warranty to keep myself from modding it. Now that my wife and I have our first kid on the way, I've got plenty of other priorities.

-Mike
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM
davey_boy
Heel & Toe

Default Mods

I'll five you 5k for mods, you'll then see what kind of fun you can have with it.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Ten years ago, I modded my cars a lot. Eventually I came to understand that for me, using the car as a daily driver, the dollars + time + driveability + reliability + warranty issues; made most mods a poor tradeoff.

For someone who enjoys the work, or absolutely must have maximum performance, or drives the car mostly as a hobby; the answer may be different.

My current plan is that my mods must be cheap, easily reversible, and not void the warranty.

Right now:
Hardwired V1 and redlight GPS, MTW foot switch, TKO sound mat + Lloyds mat in trunk, cocomats up front, GM storage pouches behind seats. The car does what i want and doesn't give me any headaches.

Your car, your money, your choices...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
HD_Rider
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

It is not just you; I have no desire or need to modify my car in any way. As has already been mentioned, it is already an exceptional car as it is. I prefer reliability and no warranty concerns over increased noise, more horsepower (like you really need it), or other issues that come about from modding a car.

And although others may disagree, when it comes to buying a Corvette, I would never consider purchasing one that has been modded, no matter who did it or how it was done. There's just too much chance of something being screwed up or abused.

Last edited by HD_Rider; 07-20-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it just me?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

It's not just you. Peformance-wise, my used Z I just bought will stay stock for the most part. This time around I am going to do some minor mods, muffler mod on the Z, some cosmetic stuff on the interior, minor things. That's it. No heads/cam, blower , gears blah blah

I learned my lesson on my C5 coupe with modding, and though it was a great learning experience, I am applying those lesson learned to this car.

I still like to mod as it is fun to customize the car a bit to your liking, but there comes a cross-roads where you have to decide if it is really the best thing for you, and is it really worth it.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tracy
Well, if I had the measly LS2 I would definitely MOD... kidding.

You are not alone, I have zero interest in modding, especially while the warranty is intact. Although I did install the M2W.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,231 Likes on 2,309 Posts

All my Corvettes have been stock and always will be. I don't really care if it's just me.

Quick Reply: Is it just me?