C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel install -- Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM
AKC_C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel install -- Please help!!!

I got a DSV steering wheel and I've been attempting to install it. A forum member has a great write-up on here which I've been referring to.

I was able to take apart the airbag module and disconnect everything in no time. The next step is pulling off the old steering wheel, but I cannot get the damn thing off! I've tried everything I can think of. I went up to Autozone, but the steering wheel puller they have will not fit. I also went to PepBoys and Murrays looking for a tool that will work with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?
Maybe someone who has done the install can recommend a steering wheel puller at a certain store?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by AKC_C6
I got a DSV steering wheel and I've been attempting to install it. A forum member has a great write-up on here which I've been referring to.

I was able to take apart the airbag module and disconnect everything in no time. The next step is pulling off the old steering wheel, but I cannot get the damn thing off! I've tried everything I can think of. I went up to Autozone, but the steering wheel puller they have will not fit. I also went to PepBoys and Murrays looking for a tool that will work with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?
Maybe someone who has done the install can recommend a steering wheel puller at a certain store?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You did say, "I've tried everything I can think of." but I'll ask/suggest it anyway.
Did you try rocking the wheel back and forth and pulling on it at the same time ?
Sometimes, that's all it takes and it'll pop off with out using a wheel puller.
Is odd though no body has a wheel puller that fits.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are gonna have to use a puller. i got one from my local advance auto when i did mine. not sure why the one you used wouldnt fit? what you need is a pully puller with claws and not one that bolts onto the thing being pulled
Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
You did say, "I've tried everything I can think of." but I'll ask/suggest it anyway.
Did you try rocking the wheel back and forth and pulling on it at the same time ?
Sometimes, that's all it takes and it'll pop off with out using a wheel puller.
Is odd though no body has a wheel puller that fits.
firmly wiggle it out
Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I had the same problem. I tried to just pull it off without using a puller but it seemed it on there was too tight to do that. I went and got a puller from Autozone but the bolts were too big so I went to Home Depot and got smaller bolts.

Then I couldn't figure out how to get the nuts on the bolts behind the wheel.

Long story short, I was just messing with the steering wheel and all of the sudden it just came off into my lap. I must have just happened to get equal pressure on each side by accident and it slipped right off.

Moral of the story, just keep fiddling with it but don't try to apply too much pressure (as that seems to put the wheel in a bind) and it may pop right off like mine did.

Good luck!

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 07-14-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM
AKC_C6
Instructor

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, we tried to rock back and forth to loosen it up and pull it off. I was amazed at how tight its on there... We were pulling hard, but it wouldnt budge. There is that unspecified threshold of how hard I was willing to pull because I obviously dont want to damage anything. From what I've read, its luck of the draw-- some people's steering wheels came off easily while others had wheels which were on there really tight.

I will try my local Advanced Auto... You're exactly right, we need the puller with claws as opposed to the bolts. The only place I went to that had a puller with claws was Pep Boys, however the claws were to thick and wouldnt fit. I tried the bolt type puller from AZ, but there wasnt enough clearance to fit my fingers to the back of the frame to put a nut on the bolts.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 PM
AKC_C6
Instructor

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I had the same problem. I tried to just pull it off without using a puller but it seemed it on there was too tight to do that. I went and got a puller from Autozone but the bolts were too big so I went to Home Depot and got smaller bolts.

Then I couldn't figure out hoe to get the nuts on the bolts behind the wheel.

Long story short, I was just messing with the steering wheel and all of the sudden it just came off into my lap. I must have just happened to get equal pressure on each side by accident and it slipped right off.

Moral of the story, just keep fiddling with it but don't try to apply too much pressure (as that seems to put the wheel in a bind) and it may pop right off like mine did.

Good luck!
Hahah.. Sounds like the EXACT situation I'm in. I can only hope that my story will end just like yours did and the wheel will pop off. I'll keep fidling with it!

In the meantime, I'm also going to check with Advanced and other local hardware stores to see if I can find some claws which will fit. I gave up on the bolts. I even tried some industrial strength zip ties, but they were not strong enough.

If I cant find anything, I was thinking about trying my local chevy dealership. I highly doubt they'd let me rent or borrow the puller, but maybe its worth a shot as a last resort.

Thanks again for everybody's input.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AKC_C6
Hahah.. Sounds like the EXACT situation I'm in. I can only hope that my story will end just like yours did and the wheel will pop off. I'll keep fidling with it!

In the meantime, I'm also going to check with Advanced and other local hardware stores to see if I can find some claws which will fit. I gave up on the bolts. I even tried some industrial strength zip ties, but they were not strong enough.

If I cant find anything, I was thinking about trying my local chevy dealership. I highly doubt they'd let me rent or borrow the puller, but maybe its worth a shot as a last resort.

Thanks again for everybody's input.
If you are still having problems you might give it a shot of WD-40. After it soaks into the spine you may be able to get the wheel to slip off.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel install -- Please help!!!

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel install -- Please help!!!