C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Grand Sport - Very disappointed with GM and GM customer service

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktzon
I talked with Tadge Juechter (GM's Chief Corvette Engineer) at Carlisle 2 weeks ago about the problem. His' response was, GM knows about the problem and these cars shouldn't leave the factory with this issue.

There is a fix but it calls for your dealership to install stiffeners behind the seats.....I'll do the fix my self since I'm a Aerospace Engineer and deal with Oil canning issues and aircraft strengthening all the time. I don't have faith in turning the car over to my dealership for the fix.

Good Luck.
I'm surprised they were that honest about admitting there is an issue. He's the top engineer for Corvette - why is he letting them ship cars out the door without a fix?

IMO - they should dispatch someone from BG to the dealership and have that person do the fix on your car. That would do 2 things: 1) Ease your concern that the fix be done correctly and 2) Provide training for the dealerships techs so they can properly do the next one. Just my $0.02.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighTL
You may also wish to minimize the flexing with a stiffer part.
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/E...ent_Plate.html
This is an excellent modification. I bought the 3/8" plate and noticed an immediate difference in stiffness on my 07.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow! After selling my C5 because of mechanical problems, I hope I didn't make a bigger mistake by buying a C6!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by NORTY
I'm still trying to figure out why numerous people have to quote the lengthy ENTIRE original post...and then add something useful like "Good luck with your car." Seriously,WTF?
I know, right? Or have signature pics that take up most of the screen. I mean, oh...my...GOSH!!!!

Ktzon, if/when you end up doing the fix, would you mind taking some pics please?
I'm wondering if simply re-tacking the seam would be sufficient, or if a bead rolled replacement panel might be more suitable...perhaps even lighter, in addition to stronger.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

quit screwing with the dealer and gm and investigate your states lemon laws here in ca you can get the attorney for free and it sounds like your car more than qualifies. remember, days where the car might be sitting at the dealership waiting for parts count as down for repairs days. make em take it back and give you all your money back.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i dont belive it ,someone speaks the truth about GM and what a bad job they are doing
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Start calling the dealership owner, get the dealer involded with GM. I had a similar problem with another Chevy product, I called GM customer assistance and got the run around. Stuiped lady told me my tires with 11/32 tread wear were worn out! Needless to say the dealer owner got involved, all hell broke loose and my car got fixed! Stick to your guns, if the dealership you purchased at has any morals they will stand behind you. The paint work should be fixed at the dealer, the oil canning I would also check the tunnel cover bolts, then apply some sort of sound deadening material before I would allow them to start burning holes in my car! The dealership sold you the car, they get paid by GM for warranty work, make them do thier job! Besides three times for the same problem, they buy back the car! Start counting! Good luck.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW - almost 6500 views of this thread.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
I'm surprised they were that honest about admitting there is an issue. He's the top engineer for Corvette - why is he letting them ship cars out the door without a fix?
While I love the C6, it is not perfect. It does have issues and I just expect it will because I take it for what it is. Bang for the buck, it cannot be beat. But I still know that it is a GM and I will have the usual GM issues that I have grown to know (not love) over the past 25 years.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I talked with Tadge Juechter (GM's Chief Corvette Engineer) at Carlisle 2 weeks ago about the problem. His' response was, GM knows about the problem and these cars shouldn't leave the factory with this issue.

There is a fix but it calls for your dealership to install stiffeners behind the seats.....I'll do the fix my self since I'm a Aerospace Engineer and deal with Oil canning issues and aircraft strengthening all the time. I don't have faith in turning the car over to my dealership for the fix.

Good Luck.
I'm betting this is a coupe issue only. Any convertibles out there with this happening?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

I have been holding back this post, but for the good of this forum, I'm going to express my disappointment with GM and GM customer service.

I traded in my 09 for a 2010 CRM Grand Sport that I ordered last year. My 09 was perfect, everything worked and the finish was as expected..Zero flaws.

After I place the order, I was very excited to get the Grand sport. I always loved the look of the Z06 but really didn't want one, the GS filled that gap for me.

After posting and searching the Corvette Forum, I found 2 other Grand Sport owners having the same issue. So this is not an isolated case.
Regards, Chris
The other Corvette forum (DC), guys are reporting A LOT of problems with the 2010+ GS. Electrical issues, quality control, and the things you mentioned.

Is this a GS problem or a 2010 problem? Well, the answer is pending but since GM is producing twice as many GS's vs. base coupes, time will tell.

Many people on the other forum believe it is related to the QC that GM now has. QC has gone downhill since late 2009. It is now showing up in the cars. Whether it is related to the bailout, bankruptcy, union debacle, GM cutbacks, employee morale, most likely yes.

That does not help you but as least you know there are many others out there that are experiencing the same.

Last edited by LBear; 09-09-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM
bruiser3138
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping Noise from Floor Board

I have owned my C6 since brand new (2007) and have had nothing but issues. I have had:

Seats replaced
Floor Mats replaced
Steering Rack replaced
Slave and Master Cyninder replaced
Crank Pulley replaced
Differential Fluid replaced twice
Shifter Box replaced
Transmission line replaced as it cracked and started leaking
Now have Popping/Creaking Noise

All of this on a car that costs $58,000 and only has 44,000 miles on the odometer.

GM will NEVER rise to the level of BMW in build quality or service. NEVER. My last and next car will not be from GM but from BMW again as they know how to build better vehicles and take much better care of their customers! Period. End of story!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:43 PM
MJDVET111
Instructor

Originally Posted by bruiser3138
I have owned my C6 since brand new (2007) and have had nothing but issues. I have had:

Seats replaced
Floor Mats replaced
Steering Rack replaced
Slave and Master Cyninder replaced
Crank Pulley replaced
Differential Fluid replaced twice
Shifter Box replaced
Transmission line replaced as it cracked and started leaking
Now have Popping/Creaking Noise

All of this on a car that costs $58,000 and only has 44,000 miles on the odometer.

GM will NEVER rise to the level of BMW in build quality or service. NEVER. My last and next car will not be from GM but from BMW again as they know how to build better vehicles and take much better care of their customers! Period. End of story!
I can understand your level of frustration with having so many problems after so few miles and so much money. However, for every lemon car there are probably 100 guys on here who will say "no major problems", not to mention all the Corvette owners who never post to forums.

Also...for what it's worth...I go by a large BMW dealer and an Audi dealer every morning, both with lots of service bays, and full service parking lots of cars waiting. I somehow doubt they are all at the dealer "just for an oil change". Audi/BMW/MB make great quality cars...BUT unlike a Toyota Corolla their quality is derived from nifty engineering, great materials, tight build quality. But pure reliability? Please...I've owned a few, that's a laugh
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

the sad part is THEY DON'T CARE.....it shows in every part of the GM
division ,from top to bottom.
: rofl:
Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 PM
windcharger
Intermediate

My last and next car will not be from GM but from BMW again as they know how to build better vehicles and take much better care of their customers! Period. End of story!

Ya, BMW is the best car in the whole wide world, just read Car and Driver they say it's so...
Old 09-23-2010, 05:42 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

I have owned my C6 since brand new (2007) and have had nothing but issues.

Remember, GM bankrupted just a year ago. I gave GM another chance when I got my C6, sure enough, I've got a couple vehicle issues and when I went to the GM dealer, I was told that they were "normal". The dealer did the usual, go away you are bothering us.

GM will go under again, I have no doubt. Nothing has changed with them after their bankruptcy. They are the same company, only this time they are getting daddy government to pay for their stupid mistakes.

Now, onto calling other GM dealers and hopefully someone can treat me like a human being, instead of a 2nd class citizen.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
the sad part is THEY DON'T CARE.....it shows in every part of the GM
division ,from top to bottom.
: rofl:
You're right. They don't.

If people ran a business like GM does, they would go bankrupt. Oh wait, GM did go bankrupt...

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 Grand Sport - Very disappointed with GM and GM customer service

Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 PM
jmess
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can read horror stories about quality and service issues in just about any car forum. What is interesting is how many really bad issues you see here. If you are expecting industry leading quality and service don't buy a Corvette. The local Chevy SUV/Truck centers seldom have the technical capability and/or customer services skills to support you. A lot of Vette owners ignore quality problems out of fear the local dealer will make them worse. I know I did.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go ahead and buy a BMW, join there forum and get off of the Corvette forum. Every car, motorcycle, yacht or airplane have issues. It isn't a perfect world, but Corvette is the neatest sports car for the money. I really think BMW looks like any other car on the road.
Capt Bob
Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktzon View Post

Good Luck.
GM has known about alot of things for a long time.
The fact is that these cars do leave the factory like this and have for the entire life of the C6!Don't even start with the C5 and that little column lock issue either that they carried over to the 05 c6.They know stuff and still don't correct it.That's just bad business all the way around.Granted,every manufacturer can't build a perfect car 100% of the time but when others find an issue they fix it chop chop,for the most part.GM just ignores it till it bites them in the ***.Then and only then do they attempt a fix.I had my car (08) in for yet another gas cap today.My 05 went thru 3 of them.I also explained to them about the 10 year warranty on them and the dealer had no idea.I needed my climate control unit looked at and fixed also.So I get a call midday "what exactly is your car doing"? "The outside temperature gauge blinks and when I turn on the a/c or heat it all blinks" I said."Well if you had a tune,blah blah.." he says.I'm thinking,what's one got to do with the other??Well,he was waiting for my car to over heat or something,which it wouldn't do...so my point is THEY DIDN'T LISTEN TO ME WHEN I TOLD THEM THE ISSUE!!!GM might pretend to listen,but only when it suits them!!I love my VETTE,but I shudder when I have to go anywhere near a dealer!That is scary stuff and GM should pay attention to their network out here.

Quick Reply: 2010 Grand Sport - Very disappointed with GM and GM customer service