C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Vette raise front end/spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 AM
ggolds5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Vette raise front end/spacers?

I would really like to raise the front of my Vette about an inch. Its an 05 C6 coupe. Can I use spring spacers to do this safely and without any problems?. Can I use rubber spacers, or does anyone suggest any other type of spacer and where to purchase. There are a lot of them on the net but I also don't want to create any other issues by doing this. Any suggestions?. PS. Will the car overheat if I remove the front spoiler which as you all know scrapes everything. Thanks. ggolds5@aol.com

Last edited by ggolds5; 07-09-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: add email
Old 07-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ggolds5
I would really like to raise the front of my Vette about an inch. Its an 05 C6 coupe. Can I use spring spacers to do this safely and without any problems?. Can I use rubber spacers, or does anyone suggest any other type of spacer and where to purchase. There are a lot of them on the net but I also don't want to create any other issues by doing this. Any suggestions?. PS. Will the car overheat if I remove the front spoiler which as you all know scrapes everything. Thanks. ggolds5@aol.com
Raise the front end? Now there is something you don't here very often....err....ever! I have trimmed my front spoiler 3\4" and never had any issues, not sure taking the whole thing off would be ideal, but maybe some others have done it with good results. The spoiler is made to scrape, 459,000 other vette owners live with it, why don't you? Your car will look ridiculous raised even one inch.

Last edited by Racer; 07-09-2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: wrong dimension
Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The Forum consensus is that yes the car will run hotter. Actual overheating may come down to the climate you're in.

I know it's painful to hear the thing scrape, but it is after all, almost a sacrificial piece (3 pieces) and it isn't very expensive to replace.

My vote is, don't raise your front end.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:56 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Why don't you just get those tires you see on these cars with all 4 tires raising the height of car. DUB
Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

If you really want to raise it up, adjust the ride height bolts first before doing any "spacer" things.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 AM
FinalTouchDetail
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvettes sit too high stock as it is...

As long as you aren't actually scraping the car I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, just use the bolts. You can get 3/4" higher. I guess you'd want to raise the rear to match. Car & Driver raised the car they drove to Alaska by the bolt method. Since this is an adjustment device that comes with the stock vehicle I doubt there would be any cooling problems as a result.

If you do decide to go this route take some before and after pics and post them.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I raised my car almost a 1/2" from the tire and wheel combination.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Just use the adjusting bolts. If you raise or lower for that matter you need toadjust the alignment of the car. Raising may give you a pretty unusual look.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 335 Posts

Why in the world would you want to RAISE the Vette, especially only in the front? The bit of air dam scrapping we all deal with going over speed bumps or steep driveways is nothing compared to spoiling the look of the C6. Don't do it!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:46 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Was the car lowered before? If so get some stock bolts and put it back where it belongs. Go and measure some new ones at a dealership. Make sure you have the correct wheel / tires also. If the car was used you have no idea what the prior owners did to it. Mine scrapes a little on STEEP inclines, you grimace and then move on. No real damage to the air dam, its flexible, gets a little scraped up is all. I wouldn't take it off, it helps with cooling.

Then again Air ride! Raise it up to clear the drive way and then drop it until you get sparks!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If all you're doing is scraping the front diffuser I would not raise the car. It may scrape on occasion but I can't imagine it scrapes on "everything." As mentioned, its designed to withstand some scraping. I've heard of a very few people who've reduced or removed the diffuser. The one guy who removed it claimed to have no ill results, however, the fact remains its an integral part of the cooling system. Your call.

Raising the car may not create a problem with typical street driving but its certainly the opposite of what someone would do who's trying to improve the 'performance' of the car. There could also be adverse affects on the suspension. There's no guaranty your car was setup perfectly from the factory. If you do start messing with the setup I'd make the effort to do it right. There are specific procedures to follow, measurements to take and re-take, etc. to insure the car is 'balanced' properly.

Lastly and of less importance, raising the car will definitely not enhance its appearance. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM
speeding bullet
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer44
Raise the front end? Now there is something you don't here very often....err....ever! I have trimmed my front spoiler 3\4" and never had any issues, not sure taking the whole thing off would be ideal, but maybe some others have done it with good results. The spoiler is made to scrape, 459,000 other vette owners live with it, why don't you? Your car will look ridiculous raised even one inch.
I am another of the 459,000 other vette owners that would like to raise my car 3/4 - 1" in front. My car is Procharged, and I guess the extra weight has caused the the front to sit about .5 -.75' lower. It rubs on the slightest grade. This did not bother me untill 2 weeks ago. I was traveling over railroad tracks - about 10 MPH (or about 9 faster than I should have been going) a bolt was protruding from the tracks, it caught the radiator cradle tore a hole in the bottom of the radiator. Brought car to what I think is the best body shop on the eastcoast (Ace auto styling in staten Island) car is coming beautiful - while he is at it I'm having him put SIC Z front cover on - bottom line don't want it rubbing as often anymore. Will be raising mine 3/4" .

Last edited by speeding bullet; 08-18-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Perhaps he wants to raise car so he won't have to worry about curbs when parking along with all the other problems that come with a car that's low to the ground i.e. rock chips etc.
At the current height cement curbs do major damage to this car.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I removed the whole thing

I removed my rubber spoiler quite a while ago. It has caused no issues at all with overheating. I live in Austin, Texas where it is often 100 degrees or more. The car is my daily driver. I'm happy not having to hear the scraping anymore.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

i lifted mine a bit more than an inch, but I never scrape on anything nowadays and love the ride.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 AM
RaleighTL
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I raised mine to 27" measured at the center of front wheel, bottom of wheel opening to ground. Done by my tire dealer by using the stock bolts. Did not want to push the limit of the amount of threads that extend above the leaf spring. This threw the alignment way out per the alignment guy, which of course he corrected ... just FYI ....

Get notified of new replies

To 05 Vette raise front end/spacers?

Quick Reply: 05 Vette raise front end/spacers?