C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP- Thanks all!- Long Post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default NPP- Thanks all!- Long Post!

I've had my 2007 A6 since last October and have loved every minute of it but always wanted to try NPPs. After reading all the posts about them, I decided to buy a used pair, along with the NPP in a Box.

After many days of searching, finally a pair was listed on the big auction site. I jumped at the chance. The seller was very prompt and my NPPS arrived a few days later, along with the NPP in a box.

The NPP in a Box installation was 'fairly' straight forward and Ed promptly answered any questions I had. Getting the vacuum line attached the the rear of the manifold is difficult. I tried all the hints posted on this forum but my hands were just to big to get back there. By shear luck, I managed to pop the T fitting with a short hacksaw blade.

That part wasn't fun at all! The supplier of NPP in a Box has a brass T fitting which fits into the front (easily accessible!) of the manifold. I would HIGHLY recommend you order this along with the NPP in a Box.

Running the vacuum line to the rear wasn't too difficult but as the NPPs were being installed and the car was on the lift, I noticed I had run the line very close to the exhaust manifold. Big no no!

The muffler install was straight forward.

Everything done, I started the vette. It was a new car! You CF members were right! The vette finally sounded strong. Prior to this, I had rarely used the paddle shifts because I could barely hear the engine revs. Now, that is all I use! Finally, I feel like I am driving a vette and not a Monte Carlo.

My vette has come alive! And I have a smile so wide it hurts my cheeks!

Thanks to all who recommended this mod and took the time to post instructions!

I'm outta here....going for a drive!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:18 PM
John_Syb
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ONLY time I run in "quiet" mode is when I am rolling down the highway with my fiance in the car because she complains about the drone.

Otherwise... I let the Vette Roar!!!

I almost didn't get NPP on my 09 Vert.. Happy that I did.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by John_Syb
The ONLY time I run in "quiet" mode is when I am rolling down the highway with my fiance in the car because she complains about the drone.

Otherwise... I let the Vette Roar!!!

wife for me
Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
csriram45
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you mind sharing how much you got your NPP for? I am looking to get one for the car I plan to buy which does not come with NPP.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
gene0809
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluman

wife for me
Old 07-06-2010, 01:37 PM
vetphan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, That's great to hear. I won't be be far behind you in changing out my exhaust also. I'm just not sure on which way to go. Should I get npp's, BB fuion or Corsa sport?
Old 07-06-2010, 01:46 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Cool and the only item I should have got from the factory is the NPP exhaust
Old 07-06-2010, 02:02 PM
AlfredMay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vetphan,

Get NPP's........ you can turn them on or off AND/OR tune the sound using collars or hose clamps on the actuator rods. Plus they are a stock item on the car, so a LEO should not give you a ticket for a loud exhaust. If you do get one, bring supporting information to traffic court to show this item is installed on new Corvettes by Chevrolet.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:08 PM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '13

I agree with this original post 100%,

I now have a grin everytime I drive now that I put on the NPPs, and can't wait to drive it again-even to work!!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
mdb917
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

OP: I changed my non-NPP '07 to NPP and have not looked back since. Sure made a difference in the Vette's presence.

Originally Posted by vetphan
Dude, That's great to hear. I won't be be far behind you in changing out my exhaust also. I'm just not sure on which way to go. Should I get npp's, BB fuion or Corsa sport?
This is like asking what color should I get. I looked long and hard at the Corsa Extremes but thought the NPPs gave me the best of both worlds (they are not anywhere near as loud as Extremes!). You can run quiet mode for the long highways or with a little attitude at the push of a button. Fusions have that ability too and are somewhat louder than the NPPs. I'm not aware of any others that can be opened/closed. I suggest you go to a Vette club meeting and listen to the ones you are interested in. This gives you a first hand listen to what they will sound like on your car (assuming the car you listen to is the same model, does not have other mods like long tube headers, etc.)

Originally Posted by peter pan
Cool and the only item I should have got from the factory is the NPP exhaust
This is a really simple change if you'd like to add them now. I went with Sunset Orange Creations vs. NPP in a Box because I liked the idea of being able to control the valves via a D.I.C. push button rather than a remote. Just a personal preference. Not a thing against the NPP in a Box (or that vendor).
Old 07-06-2010, 02:16 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by csriram45
Would you mind sharing how much you got your NPP for? I am looking to get one for the car I plan to buy which does not come with NPP.
PM sent
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetphan
That will be your personal preference...don't buy anything without hearing them first...in person and not of YouTube...I like the ability to turn 'em off when the 'war department' is in the car...or maybe I should leave them open, so I can't hear her!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:37 PM
csriram45
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N2TU
PM sent
Got it. Tks.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:06 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default yup..

I put them on my 06, saved me from having to buy a 08

Now it sounds like a Corvette Should... and Quiet when My other half wants... Best mod ever... Cost $1100 with the Retro-Fit Mild to Wild.

Last edited by AtHomeSoda; 07-07-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM
jcmarathon
Advanced

I purchased the NPP mufflers off ebay and had them installed. I still have not been able to pop the T off the vacuum line inlet. My hand looked like raw hamburger after several hours attempting to snap it off. Did you run the hacksaw blade down from the top of the engine?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:55 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ah...

Originally Posted by jcmarathon
I purchased the NPP mufflers off ebay and had them installed. I still have not been able to pop the T off the vacuum line inlet. My hand looked like raw hamburger after several hours attempting to snap it off. Did you run the hacksaw blade down from the top of the engine?
Why not just buy the Brass "T", that installs up front? Makes it EASY.

Talon90 I am sure has them... Works great.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
Why not just buy the Brass "T", that installs up front? Makes it EASY.

Talon90 I am sure has them... Works great.

That 'behind the manifold' is tough. I got lucky and popped it from some weird angle (after many, many expletives)

Go the easy way. Get the T fitting from the vendor.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP- Thanks all!- Long Post!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM
vetphan
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdb917
OP: I changed my non-NPP '07 to NPP and have not looked back since. Sure made a difference in the Vette's presence.

This is like asking what color should I get. I looked long and hard at the Corsa Extremes but thought the NPPs gave me the best of both worlds (they are not anywhere near as loud as Extremes!). You can run quiet mode for the long highways or with a little attitude at the push of a button. Fusions have that ability too and are somewhat louder than the NPPs. I'm not aware of any others that can be opened/closed. I suggest you go to a Vette club meeting and listen to the ones you are interested in. This gives you a first hand listen to what they will sound like on your car (assuming the car you listen to is the same model, does not have other mods like long tube headers, etc.)

This is a really simple change if you'd like to add them now. I went with Sunset Orange Creations vs. NPP in a Box because I liked the idea of being able to control the valves via a D.I.C. push button rather than a remote. Just a personal preference. Not a thing against the NPP in a Box (or that vendor).
Thanks for the advice mdb917. Your color analogy helped. Meaning, I never see a color I don't like. I just like some colors better than others. The same for exhaust notes. Moreover, the fact that you found the Corsa Extreme very appealing but, are satisfied with the NPP's has made the choice for me. I'll go with the NPP's. I very much like the fact that NPP's are a stock item. I just was't sure they would be loud enough. To anyone interested, I need '08 NPP's - '09's or Z's or too difficult to install.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Another data point.

I drove a 2006 with Extremes yesterday...and the are LOUD!...very, very nice sounding but LOUD....much, much louder than my NPPs....

I guess I am showing my age!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:01 PM
jcmarathon
Advanced

As I understand it the T fitting will not work on the LS3 09. No place to install it.

Quick Reply: NPP- Thanks all!- Long Post!