C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously torn-would you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why even ask? Just do whatever you want.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
mojoman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Viper is a exotic sports car that cannot be used as a daily driver. Your Vettes can. Hey, it's your $$$. Make up your own mind. You see Corvettes everyday on the road, but a Viper? Once in a blue moon!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
NO.....the technology in the Viper is not there .... IF you really want a performance car trade your two in on a Z06.

A good friend from our Corvette Club owed several Vettes and added a new Viper to his stable in 2004 ... well, 2 weeks ago he killed himself in the Viper ... IF it had stability control like the Z06, it would not have happened. By the way, his wife was so against the Viper that in the 6 years he had it, she NEVER sat in either seat.
This happens more than people realize... people switch to vipers and before you know it, they've lost control and wrecked their car. I would stop short of blaming that on Dodge however. Most performance car makers have opted to put a stability control system in their cars because of THE SHORTCOMINGS OF THE DRIVERS. Its a nice feature to have, but its not Dodge's fault if you can't handle a high horsepower car without electronic nannies keeping you on the road. What if that system fails? You should know how to drive any car you own at its limit without help, and if you can't then you should sell it.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Chrysler always made cheap cars,
You're kidding right??Have you been in a C5??A c6??Chrysler for sure does not have the market cornered when it comes to cheaping out on their cars.

O.P....I wouldn't do it.
The Viper is a exotic sports car that cannot be used as a daily driver. Your Vettes can. Hey, it's your $$$. Make up your own mind. You see Corvettes everyday on the road, but a Viper? Once in a blue moon!
What he said.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 PM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

OP, your asking a Corvette Forum if they would trade two Vette's for one Viper.... Trick question, right?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VettinFan
OP, your asking a Corvette Forum if they would trade two Vette's for one Viper.... Trick question, right?
no, it is not a trick question. I thought it was OK to share my dillema?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Newt373
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petermj
KBB private party is about 32k for C5 and about 37 for C6 but I seriously doubt these are realistic values these days? The Viper is 57k but it does have 17k worth of upgrades with receipts and the upgrades are very recent.
FWIW and IMHO a 57K Viper with 17K in mods is probably asking for trouble when compared to two fairly low mileage and nice Corvettes. The C5 triple black is one of my all time favs! But, if i were considering trading in two Vettes, I would look at something new. You're looking at ~60K in trade-in value on a new fully waranteed vehicle. Why not look at a new ZO6 or ZR1 or a new Viper? Unless you're trying to keep living without a payment. But, even then, 60K down on a '10 ZO6 should put you in for about 10 to 30K or less!

I wouldn't do either.

Good Luck
Newt
Old 07-06-2010, 04:41 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
You're kidding right??Have you been in a C5??A c6??Chrysler for sure does not have the market cornered when it comes to cheaping out on their cars.
actually the quality of car they make is far inferior to your import and ford/chevy (more so ford recently) vehicles. I'm talking about the actual construction of the vehicle.

I say you go the zo6 route. Recently they had a new 2009 z06 for sale at 61,999. I say you look for a left over z and make an even swap.

at least drive a viper first.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 PM
basacowan
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

Your money, your choice, but seeing that you asked not only NO but - well you know the rest!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by petermj
no, it is not a trick question. I thought it was OK to share my dillema?
It is perfectly okay. I for one would not, however, trade one vette for a Viper.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:19 PM
JFish2
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
NO.....the technology in the Viper is not there .... IF you really want a performance car trade your two in on a Z06.

A good friend from our Corvette Club owed several Vettes and added a new Viper to his stable in 2004 ... well, 2 weeks ago he killed himself in the Viper ... IF it had stability control like the Z06, it would not have happened. By the way, his wife was so against the Viper that in the 6 years he had it, she NEVER sat in either seat.
Wow, I think I actually heard about that. My sister's boyfriend is a cop in Cedar Falls. I said that I was looking at Corvettes and he mentioned that someone recently died in Viper accident. I asked how fast he was going and just assumed it was someone really speeding. I was surprised when he said that he wasn't speeding at all, he just lost traction in the rain accelerating to pass someone. Really unfortunate.

On a lighter note, I might have seen your Z06 in Cedar Falls about a month ago. I was going out to eat at Bourbon Street and saw a red Z06 parked just off main street. I was surprised since you don't see a lot of Z06s in Northeast Iowa.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:25 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2vette2
It is perfectly okay. I for one would not, however, trade one vette for a Viper.
I wish this was possible, LOL... This is the actual car

Old 07-06-2010, 06:02 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
I say you go the zo6 route. Recently they had a new 2009 z06 for sale at 61,999. I say you look for a left over z and make an even swap.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JFish2
Wow, I think I actually heard about that. My sister's boyfriend is a cop in Cedar Falls. I said that I was looking at Corvettes and he mentioned that someone recently died in Viper accident. I asked how fast he was going and just assumed it was someone really speeding. I was surprised when he said that he wasn't speeding at all, he just lost traction in the rain accelerating to pass someone. Really unfortunate.

On a lighter note, I might have seen your Z06 in Cedar Falls about a month ago. I was going out to eat at Bourbon Street and saw a red Z06 parked just off main street. I was surprised since you don't see a lot of Z06s in Northeast Iowa.
guys, for little driving I do, I am a firm believer in back to the basics with no frills in form of electronic assistance. As regrettable as life being lost always is, like with guns, cars do not kill. As a matter of fact, I have never used the C6 nav or HUD in either of the vettes. Traction control off as well
Old 07-06-2010, 06:24 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Originally Posted by JFish2

Ya this is the one .... this guy was a 54 year old engineer at John Deere....very respected. He had many years of high performance driving and had to have been caught completely off guard with the accident. The really sad thing is it was the "safety cables" that the IDOT strung a few years ago to keep cars from crossing the median ... they are designed to "snag" a car to keep it from getting back into its own lane ... in this case it certainly snagged it, spun it around and the top cable killed him..... it the DOT had of used the normal concrete barrier, he would likely be alive today.

As far as me in downtown Cedar Falls .. not likely but there are a couple of other red Z06's in the area.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:24 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
I did test drive Z06 before, it is a very thrilling car but all things being equal, switching from one vette to another is not that much of a radical change for street driving. Getting Z06 means losing the open air, and if this is the outcome, there better be something else than another vette
Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,219 Likes on 830 Posts

Why not....No more than you seem to drive and the VIPER simply has more curb appeal.

Get notified of new replies

To Seriously torn-would you do it?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

that's a beautiful color.....sorry to against the grain here but for the amount you drive I would make the trade....
Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gilly6993
that's a beautiful color.....sorry to against the grain here but for the amount you drive I would make the trade....
LOL, I do not think there is with or against grain in this case, just very hard to decide. If this was a switch to minivan, then I would not have an issue at all.

How do you decide? I know I would not have this dillema with regards to deciding between women, LOL...
Old 07-06-2010, 07:38 PM
mikez51c6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

I realy like vipers but I dont think I could trade 2 nice vettes for one but I would be thinking about it

Quick Reply: Seriously torn-would you do it?