C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed Diagnosing Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 04:04 PM
johnkinsley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed Diagnosing Squeek

I've got a 2008 C6 6 speed.

There is a squeek, sounds to me like a belt squeek, on accerleration. It lasts only a second or so, and its heard in each gear. Only on accerleration and going up gears. I never hear it in idle when I rev the engine, nor in reverse. Annoying as hell to listen to the car squeek up like that!!!

Been to the dealer. They said it was the springs that hold the exhaust, so they greased them. ????? But squeek is still there.

I was hoping to take the car back to the dealer, armed with a differential diagnosis. I'd like to tell them to check this... and check that.... Don't want to play games with them.

Anyone have similar issues and can point me in the right direction?

BTW, I originally took the car in for an alignment. They discovered that my right rear tire was bad...they said the bands were separating. 11,000 miles on the car. So I go a new tire under warranty, but coughed up the cash for the left tire also. Feel rather lucky that they found that.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:41 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

John:

First of all I'm no mechanic but greasing the exhaust springs. Really. Didn't know they had grease zerks. Might have those guys grease your muffler bearings too while they are at it. I think you got blown off!

My knee jerk guess from being on the forum a few years and since none of us can hear the actual problem would be to have them check the balancer and bolt that holds it on. Many have failed which leads to a slight wobble and could be causing you're belt chirp when under load. In other words its starting to fail.

As for your tire I believe that would have been "belt" failure of the tire and not the "bands" of the tire. Get your point but tires have belts not bands as far as I know. Just FYI.

I'm sure someone who has experienced the balancer/bolt issue will chime in and add to my post with any corrections to my assumption from their experience as to what they experienced when theirs gave them problems.

Good luck.

George
Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM
nomo50
Instructor

I too have an 08 6sp and have the same issue.
The exhaust spring squeek is a real issue, it only squeeks when going over speed bumps or on rough roads at slow speed. Simply spray WD40 on the springs and the squeek will go away.
What the OP is refering to is under hard acceleration, shifting gears you can hear what sounds like the belt slipping, just for a split second
Does not do it under normal driving, but it is very noticible when pushing it. I have not gone to the dealer about it, I asked the same question last year and seveal people posted that it was normal.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:03 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

WOW! How irritating to have talking springs. Any chance you can remove and upgrade these springs to something not so chatty? I can't imagine a shot of WD-40 lasts that long at suppressing the spring chatter. Perhaps you could remove each spring, cover with an over sized section of shrink tubing, then shrink over the springs and spray the inside of the spring with white molly lube to give a more lasting fix to this problem. Since I've never found WD-40 to be much of a lubricant, more of a moisture dispersant, with short term lubrication qualities. IMHO

George
Old 07-05-2010, 05:07 PM
johnkinsley
Intermediate

Thanks, I'll do a little research on the balancer/bolt issue. Sounds plausible and now I think I remeber other posts about that bolt actually working its way out!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
nomo50
Instructor

George,
I guess the phrase "your mileage may vary" applies here.
My exhaust hanger springs were squeeking like a bitch. I squirted WD40 on them 2 years ago and have not had a reoccuring squeek.
Maybe it's an Arizona thing, not much moisture here to wash away the product.

Anyway, squirt your favorite lube on the springs and you will be all set.

Back to the OP question, does anybody else have belt squeek under hard accelleration?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM
bj33813
Racer

I have a similar noise, have no idea what it is, and 2 mechanics say they cant hear it, so crank up the stereo !
Was hearing it at around 3000-4000 rpm, now its around 2000-2500...sounds like a belt or slipping pulley, no squeal tho.
Changed the belts and tensioners, still there.
26k on the clock. A4.
Find a knowledgeable mechanic (I am still hunting for one) and hope it can be traced down.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Needed Diagnosing Squeek

Quick Reply: Help Needed Diagnosing Squeek