C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We gotta leaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default We gotta leaker

Let me start by saying my car for the most part a garage queen(05,1sb ,z51,16xxx)moved to Florida 1yr ago and got caught in a few heavy down pours,a couple of days ago was one of those heavy rains, I feel the water hitting my shoulder .The roof was secured properly,so when I got home I did my own water test(I had washed the car countless times and never had any leak of any kind)so I sprayed in the area where I thought the leak was coming from....and wallah same results wtf.the following pics will show where the water penetrated the window gasket,has anyone else experienced this issue,fwiw I tested the passenger side and got the same results

Old 07-03-2010, 06:43 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see your problem.

The window is down.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Fonzijr1964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dealer time
Old 07-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Originally Posted by EDinPA
I see your problem.

The window is down.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Fonzijr1964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not gonna lie this is the exact reason i dint get a coupe. (one of 2)
Old 07-03-2010, 07:07 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Do you lube your rubbers? and I don't mean that in a kinky way
Maybe they have dried out in 5-6 years.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Slimpikins5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the C5, the gasket which seals out the water must be out over the area where you put the top in. It's very easy to remove your top, then reinstall it and pinch the rubber so that an opening is created, hence your leak.

All you have to do is drop the top on, and before clamping it in place, look at both back rear corners to see if you set it in without pinching the gasket improperly. If you did, then just pull the rubber out over and into place properly, then clamp the top and you are good to go.

I never liked the design on the c5.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Always lube the rubbers
Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Do you lube your rubbers? and I don't mean that in a kinky way
Maybe they have dried out in 5-6 years.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

I removed the top,then meticulously reinstalled,both sides(drive,pass) leak at the same point
Originally Posted by Slimpickins 5
On the C5, the gasket which seals out the water must be out over the area where you put the top in. It's very easy to remove your top, then reinstall it and pinch the rubber so that an opening is created, hence your leak.

All you have to do is drop the top on, and before clamping it in place, look at both back rear corners to see if you set it in without pinching the gasket improperly. If you did, then just pull the rubber out over and into place properly, then clamp the top and you are good to go.

I never liked the design on the c5.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Slimpikins5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might need new rubber gaskets. It's possible that with age it has compressed, lost pliability and now won't expand enough to seal.

Again, I thought the design was not very good from the start which is why I got some leaks when not set properly. The C6 is nicely improved, so they know that they had an issue.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

So the c5 leaked in this same area
Originally Posted by Slimpikins5
You might need new rubber gaskets. It's possible that with age it has compressed, lost pliability and now won't expand enough to seal.

Again, I thought the design was not very good from the start which is why I got some leaks when not set properly. The C6 is nicely improved, so they know that they had an issue.

Get notified of new replies

To We gotta leaker

Quick Reply: We gotta leaker