C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former Terminator Cobra owner with a GS review.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Congrats on the new GS!

BTW, it's not just torque management... did you defeat e-nannies by pressing the traction control button twice?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chets Z06
ive ran 2 pullied cobras and beat both of them. roll runs. 35 and 50. I also ran a 12.00@118 DR ONLY in my ls3 as well.

cobras can be faster easily.. personally driving a cobra, driving a c5 Z06. and now my 08 (non GS) the c6 is SMOOTH. not raw feeling like the z06, z06 feels more raw than a cobra. and these are all cars running similiar times. yet c6 feels soo smooth (slower in peoples mind)

just my opinion
This.
Even an LT1 feels faster than the LS3.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:25 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
I think chevy did this so people would be so pissed they have to tune the car and void the warranty. hahahah
I agree. Tm and low RPM timing sucks on all newer GM cars.

Actaully, a tune can wake that car up so quick. The typical LS2 cars I have tuned will roast tires through first and second, which makes it harder to go fast in reality but man...being able to do that and still get 33-40 MPG at 65-75 MPH is worth a lot.

Man...makes me want to go buy a GS vert. I mean, I really want one and screw that warranty.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:12 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chets Z06
ive ran 2 pullied cobras and beat both of them. roll runs. 35 and 50. I also ran a 12.00@118 DR ONLY in my ls3 as well.

cobras can be faster easily.. personally driving a cobra, driving a c5 Z06. and now my 08 (non GS) the c6 is SMOOTH. not raw feeling like the z06, z06 feels more raw than a cobra. and these are all cars running similiar times. yet c6 feels soo smooth (slower in peoples mind)

just my opinion
I do no doubt this at all. LIke I said, the cobra is a rough car to drive. Many owners have no idea how to drive them. I used to race my cobra against others with the same mods and they would get toasted. Only one other cobra gave me a challenge and he beat me...he had a 2.6 pulley i had a 2.8. I'm ganna race him soon in the vette I will post the vid.

I love how smooth the car is. Infact I decided against a cam bc i like the stock feel. Superchager for me!!!!someday.....
Old 06-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. If you want a little more from your Corvette there are things you can do. I come across all kinds of Mustangs running road courses...Cobra Mustangs, Saleen's, Rousch, etc. I'm glad I'm driving a Corvette!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Originally Posted by EDinPA

Did you buy an auto?

Torque management it for auto trans.

Launch control is something different, only in the sticks.

Traction control is something else all together. But you can turn that off if you want.

And yes, a PD blower is a fun ride in the grand sport.
I would love a ride in your car!!!!!

My car is a stick when you use launch controll the tq management is very little.... in low rpms it sucks the life from her.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. If you want a little more from your Corvette there are things you can do. I come across all kinds of Mustangs running road courses...Cobra Mustangs, Saleen's, Rousch, etc. I'm glad I'm driving a Corvette!
I love the corvette as well. I wouldn't trade back lol...
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM
RixRedC6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

Good stuff. I kept my '03 Cobra for a while to keep the 'vette company in the garage. Definitely a different ride altogether. Although 520+ rwhp is fast, it is a rough ride like was stated by Mike. What I like about the 'vette is that my g/f can drive it with no problem. The Cobra will be on the market in the near future and I'll miss her like a first love, but worth it for someone else to have fun with. Be well.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 AM
res0n0xg
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently made the jump from an 03 Cobra with an upper/lower pulley combo that made 465rwhp/540rwtq and went to an 08 automatic c6.

I'll tell you the vette felt slow for awhile, but man they sure do pull down the highway, and the thing just keeps going past 140mph. While the cobra could do the same you can't even shift past 4th gear without high risk of blowing your motor, so that always annoyed me.

To the guy that says he beat two pullied Cobra's, you really shouldn't have. A pullied cobra makes about 450-460/480rwtq on average and with a set of DR's can run 11.5's at 120 or better.

Anyway, I now have intake/tune/catback and the vette definitey is a quicker call down low and really pulls on the highway, I feel like to 100mph my old Cobra still would win, but the vette would inch away above that speed, once long tubes are on at the end of the year I think the vette would have the nod above a pullied cobra across the board due to similiar power and a good bit less weight.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no just pressed it once...I thought 2 times took off both active handeling and traction...will 2 times make a difference if the acceleration? Guess I could see for myself lol
No press and hold takes off everything. Once does T/C and twice relaxes active handlings nannying.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 AM
pbm.cc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually thought the same thing! I sold my 2003 pullied and o/r exhaust cobra to my buddy and i bought my C6 LS2. did O/R exhaust on the vette, Airaid CAI and a predator tune and from a 50 till 140+ I won 3 races and he won 2! EXTREMELY CLOSE RACES... (on our way to the gym) on the way back once both of the cars were cooled down (as I drove longer to get to his house then to the gym) I beat him badly... I have driven both cars and I consider myself a good driver... i havent missed a gear since I was about 18...
The torque on the svt is king, but over 100 the corvette will fly by...I personally think the Vette is a better car for performance... weighs less, aerodynamic and my LS2 is probably putting down about 360 if that... the SVT should had been at about 450 to 480... 2.76' pulley, idlers, tune, k&n cai, Catback and o/r X midpipe. so less power as it weighs less and is air friendly. Make that LS3 tuned and camed and you should be able to beat ALOT of 03-04 on eatons... ofcourse you should know that 03-04's on KB and whipples are another story. =]
Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by filmjay
Just fyi...you can bolt on anything you want to your car and it won't void the warranty. It's only when you alter the programming will it void you out.
Headers would still be a nice gain. The ECM would adapt. You just wouldn't get the full potential without the tune. But headers won't void your warranty.

Try holding the TC button for 5 seconds.

Where in the world did you get this information? Please don't tell me some ignorant service advisor told you this as it couldn't be farther from the truth.

An exhaust & most CAI are about as far as you can go & be 100% comfortable with the warranty.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Vivid1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just fyi...you can bolt on anything you want to your car and it won't void the warranty. It's only when you alter the programming will it void you out.

"we have to deny your warranty claim"

"why??"

"you have a supercharger the size of a dinner plate"

"hold on! that comes right off with a few bolts"
Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

I used to race my cobra against others with the same mods and they would get toasted. Only one other cobra gave me a challenge and he beat me...he had a 2.6 pulley i had a 2.8. I'm ganna race him soon in the vette I will post the vid.
Comparing to the other guy will be a much better gauge to how you are really running. Then, you'll know if you need to make some changes. Considering you mentioned the smoothness of the GS, and I have to imagine even the sound difference, judging by FEEL could be very deceiving for you right now. Kind of like doing 100 in a Caddy, doesn't feel like it

And, having two LS vehicles with torque management, I also believe that does play a significant factor down low as you mentioned.

Last edited by CodyC6; 06-24-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't seen that you confirmed you have driven it with the traction control turned off. There is torque management on the manual but it is pretty limited, not nearly as bad as the auto.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Just fyi...you can bolt on anything you want to your car and it won't void the warranty.
I can't speak for GM/Corvettes but for any number of other cars I can tell you that is false information.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Originally Posted by Beatitt
I haven't seen that you confirmed you have driven it with the traction control turned off. There is torque management on the manual but it is pretty limited, not nearly as bad as the auto.
Yea, I have....just never pressed it 2 times. Ill try it today. A slow first gear roll is when its the worst after that it is much less.

Get notified of new replies

To Former Terminator Cobra owner with a GS review.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
I can't speak for GM/Corvettes but for any number of other cars I can tell you that is false information.
Yea, I wouldn't expect GM to honor the warranty if you have mods.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 PM
HP JNKEY
Drifting

Not so fast about how slow the LS3 is compared to a hot rod Cobra.

Down here in San Diego we don't have a 1/4 mile track so we run the
1/8th mile up at Barona. A friend of mine has a 2003 Cobra that's equipped with an aftermarket blower and is putting down 630rwhp. The guy is at the drag strip all the time and knows how to drive.

My car is a 2008 LS3 making 399 rwhp but it has 3:15's and a Yank 3600converter and I ran 7:44 @ 95 the same day he ran 7:36 @ 96.
I'm sure that he would pull me on the freeway but not by alot and remember tha he has 230rwhp more than me.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:26 PM
res0n0xg
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Finelee
Not so fast about how slow the LS3 is compared to a hot rod Cobra.

Down here in San Diego we don't have a 1/4 mile track so we run the
1/8th mile up at Barona. A friend of mine has a 2003 Cobra that's equipped with an aftermarket blower and is putting down 630rwhp. The guy is at the drag strip all the time and knows how to drive.

My car is a 2008 LS3 making 399 rwhp but it has 3:15's and a Yank 3600converter and I ran 7:44 @ 95 the same day he ran 7:36 @ 96.
I'm sure that he would pull me on the freeway but not by alot and remember tha he has 230rwhp more than me.
Ok, but you have a high stall converter and that's going to really help your 1/8th mile numbers! In the 1/4 you'd probably run 11.8 @ 116, and he would run 11.0 at 125mph. He would walk the **** out of you past the 1/8th, not to mention on the highway.

Quick Reply: Former Terminator Cobra owner with a GS review.