C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for those with "rear end noise"

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:25 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default for those with "rear end noise"

Im sure some of you know this already:

(and this rear end noise is not from Taco Bell...dont go there )

I posted a few days ago about a noise I was getting from the rear, sometimes, on left hand turns...

Dealer told me try going out and doing some figure 8's or circles. I did. Noise went away. Noise came back a week later.. so I made an appt with my dealer for today... and the mechanic, who is a good friend as well as the mechanic thats been working on performance cars since 1995.. he's awesome. Funny thing, he switched dealers from Pontiac to Chevy 2 months before i bought my vette.. ... sold my Firehawk, Comp TA, then the 05 GTO and the 08 Soltice GXP LOL...

Anyway.. I got there and we went out to a vacant parking lot for a 'ride'....... the noise was gone. Just like a kid when you want them to do something, or a dog.. and they dont do it. So he took it in the shop just for good measure and went over the whole underneath... nothing loose, nothing rubbing.. alls well.

He then showed me what to do....... For those vettes that see interstate driving, ie: straight lines, very little twisties...and sit a lot... every 3 to 4 months: go out, turn the steering wheel to lock and then back off 1 inch... and do tight circles for 5 min! left ones and right ones. get that fluid out and over the clutches...

I put two and two together with this, for now that im going to the new gym, which is right down the street from me, 1.5 miles in a straight line... I have not been taking the back roads to the old gym which was 17 miles away... and they were some fun back roads too... my car had not been driven hardly at all because of winter and then spring with the new gym and no road trips.... waaalaa... the noise showed up.

Its gone now.. I tested for it several times during the course of the day today.....

The new Dextron rear end fluid already has the slick additive stuff in it as most of you know too... the 08's got the new fluid.

If then noise comes back they are going to change the fluid out, but he said unless i take it out and make sure that fluid gets moved around back there... the noise proly will return even with new fluid..

I was looking for an excuse to do more driving and playing, I got it now...
Old 06-16-2010, 05:34 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

oh..forgot... beware.. those tight circles make you dizzy at heck!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 06-16-2010, 05:35 PM
grandsport6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a similar problem. Drain and filled with Royal Purple HP Gear Oil and the Ford additive part # CM19546A1 and its now as quiet as a tomb...
Old 06-16-2010, 05:45 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to hear something wasn't seriously wrong. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:48 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Put Amsoil severe gear lube in that puppy and you can forget the figure 8 routine and other hocus pocus.

Trust me. I went through the exact same song and dance that you're going through now.

Tom
Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TCW
Put Amsoil severe gear lube in that puppy and you can forget the figure 8 routine and other hocus pocus.

Trust me. I went through the exact same song and dance that you're going through now.

Tom
hmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grandsport6
Had a similar problem. Drain and filled with Royal Purple HP Gear Oil and the Ford additive part # CM19546A1 and its now as quiet as a tomb...
interesting
Old 06-16-2010, 05:52 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

HEY! I wonder if I could talk Sal Zaino into coming up with a rear end fluid! That would be some slick chit!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ken...

Waddya think...is the oil getting to my clutches...

Here is the old C4

Last edited by jpee; 06-16-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:56 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 30,000 miles, I changed to the new fluid last week and did the tight figure 8s. It fixed the grinding noise I heard while backing.
I'm not sure if it was the new fluid or the 8s, but I'm sure that a fluid change was good for the differential.

PS: Changing rear end fluid on an '05 is a b*tch.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jpee
Ken...

Waddya think...is the oil getting to my clutches...

Here is the old C4

errrrrrrrrrr...............i might be!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 448 Likes on 335 Posts

Default TSP for "rear end noise"

Guys....there is a specific TSP that was issued couple of years ago that has to do with improper differential fluid which had insufficient friction characteristics, causing the differential clutches to slip, causing the noise. The correct fix is to drain & replace the fluid with the new recommendation. I don't have the TSP # at hand, but if you do a search on "C6 rear end noise" or something similar, you should find it. The figure-8 exercise you've described is actually the procedure for driving the new fluid into the clutches after the refill. Without the fluid replacement, it's only a temporary fix.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

After owning a 05 CTS V it is hard to imagine a more noisier rear end, even a taco bell one. Figure 8s didn't help that car at all, nor did frequent rear end fluid changes (and I tried them all).
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
After owning a 05 CTS V it is hard to imagine a more noisier rear end, even a taco bell one. Figure 8s didn't help that car at all, nor did frequent rear end fluid changes (and I tried them all).
i had the same issue on my CTS. it was at the dealer a few weeks ago for new front seat covers due to excessive wear. i told them to check for a TSB on the rear, he already knew about it and they changed the fluid. no more noise . and nice new seat covers (all under warranty).
Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I've had to do the figure-8's after the winter lay-up to get the rear end quiet again.

I used Amsoil w/their friction modifier.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
i had the same issue on my CTS. it was at the dealer a few weeks ago for new front seat covers due to excessive wear. i told them to check for a TSB on the rear, he already knew about it and they changed the fluid. no more noise . and nice new seat covers (all under warranty).
I was told I abused my car since an 05 V should not go thru a set of tires at 14k and on its second rear end at the same time. Although, Cadillac recommended 3k tire rotations to help with wear. I remembered later when it was time to look at a sports car in the $50-70k range. Just proves that even a luxo brand has its share of idiot dealers and district service managers.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave S
Guys....there is a specific TSP that was issued couple of years ago that has to do with improper differential fluid which had insufficient friction characteristics, causing the differential clutches to slip, causing the noise. The correct fix is to drain & replace the fluid with the new recommendation. I don't have the TSP # at hand, but if you do a search on "C6 rear end noise" or something similar, you should find it. The figure-8 exercise you've described is actually the procedure for driving the new fluid into the clutches after the refill. Without the fluid replacement, it's only a temporary fix.
Read broh ......I have an 08. it has the new fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To for those with "rear end noise"

Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Wolf: i have a 08-Z51 & i had the fluid changed in Feb.09 & it still did not sound right back there,so i took it back last month & the service writer said for me to leave it,cause he was going to order new clutch packs for it,so i left it & the next afternoon he called & said it was ready.They put in new clutch packs & new fluid again & the service man took it out & did some (8's) & all is great.I only had 29000 0n the car.It should of not needed clutch packs,cause i never drive it hard,never been on a tract.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Superproducer
Instructor

a little Beano usually clears up my rear end noise
Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 AM
djust
Instructor

Some on here say the noise is not hurting anything just an annoyance.
I just purchased an 07 coupe about 6 weeks ago with 11k miles and it has the rear end noise when backing out of the driveway after it has been sitting awhile but after that quite as can be.
Question. The TSB #07-04-20-002A I think thats right, is for changing to the Dextron LS
75w-90 with slip lock additive.
Will the dealer change this for free since it has a TSB and is making noise or will I have to pay for it, or is it even needed?
There is a vette mechanic on here from time to time that specializes in rear ends and said there is nothing wrong with it making noise and does no harm whatsoever.
I don't know.

Quick Reply: for those with "rear end noise"