C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettes DNF at Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:01 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by dollarbill
First 24 hour endurance race with the LS9s and both fail

First engines not built by Katech.
Not LS9s.....
Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

As far as the engines going bad, it might be not using E85 since that is what they were designed to run on.

If someone looks at the preferred racing line for Le Mans they will find the 64 was on it and leading Davidson into the corner. The racing line then switched sides of the track for the next corner. When Collard looked inside there is Davidson.

At that point he had two choices. One was to run into Davidson taking both cars out, 2nd was to run through the "clak" which is basically old rubber pebbles on the road. That quickly reduced his traction and forced him off the track. Davidson raced GT cars before so he knows how much less downforce the GT cars have compared to the LMP cars. Difference is between night and day.

I watched the race and Davidson was passing cars using the shoulder right before the crash, which it is illegal to go outside the white lines. The announcers were leaning on Davidson pretty good and I think one of them was also British. Actually they crticized Peugeot's tactics from the beginning of the race. Davidson's car had around 20 minutes more time in the pits compared to the Audi, mostly to fix their mistakes.

Wurz was a lot better of a driver compared to Davidson. Davidson even got airborne when he was coming into the pit for the final time.

I was worried about Corvette when they did a nice story on the Corvette Racing team in the pits earlier in the morning. Then the 63's engine failed and not much longer 64 was in the barrier. The repair on the 64 was AMAZING. Much credit has got to be given to the Corvette Racing team. Of course the engine failed later on. It is hard to say if it is part of the accident or not. I don't think so but the oil system on the GT2 is in the trunk. Peugeot's and Corvette's reaction to the accident was very different. Corvette's was very political while Peugeot's, especially Davidson's was as if Corvette deserved it. Davidson's reaction and his other race issues lead me to believe it was his fault. Audi's leader chewed up a BMW's pit crew for their "mistake" which IMO was not a mistake.

Well karma came around and Peugeot's remaining cars failed before the race ended. Bordais didn't even get to see a green light since his Peugeot broke on the first stint.

Davidson should have been penalized for his passing on the shoulder at least and his car should have been required to stay in the pits until they fixed a body panel (that was broke and not the Corvette's fault). That is another one of those rules that the stewards tended to overlook with Peugeot.

Sometimes an accident is not as it seems and something that occured laps earlier usually contribute to the accident (bad pit stop, agressive driving, prior mistake, etc).
Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The 64 vette had a 1" hole in the oil sump as a result of the crash...then he drove back to the pits and the sump was empty...not clear if any oil was still in the lines or not...
Old 06-14-2010, 12:29 AM
ToRedVettes
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone disappointed at the coverage provided to GT1 and GT2 by SPEED? Seems to me they focus on the P1 and P2 classes and only comment on the GT classes when they have to. Reminds me of a 12 year old boy lusting after his first french kiss. Doug Fehan mentioned this during the C5/C6 Bash. Apparently, the team has been apprised of the lack of GT class coverage. It's getting hard for me to watch the constant dribble about Audi's and Peugeots.

IMUO
Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Ashur
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ToRedVettes
Is anyone disappointed at the coverage provided to GT1 and GT2 by SPEED? Seems to me they focus on the P1 and P2 classes and only comment on the GT classes when they have to. Reminds me of a 12 year old boy lusting after his first french kiss. Doug Fehan mentioned this during the C5/C6 Bash. Apparently, the team has been apprised of the lack of GT class coverage. It's getting hard for me to watch the constant dribble about Audi's and Peugeots.

IMUO
Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
About a year ago, I remember reading that they were switching from Katech built/maintained engines, to GM built/maintained.

I wonder if that's relevant to what happened?
Corvette Racing runs 5.5L GM built engines in GT2
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

IMUO
Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default just once

before i die i'd like to have a corvette beat the porsche.
i can relate to the cub fans.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
i can relate to the cub fans.
Ohhhh..... That's cold.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:44 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Is anyone disappointed at the coverage provided to GT1 and GT2 by SPEED? Seems to me they focus on the P1 and P2 classes and only comment on the GT classes when they have to. Doug Fehan mentioned this during the C5/C6 Bash. Apparently, the team has been apprised of the lack of GT class coverage. It's getting hard for me to watch the constant dribble about Audi's and Peugeots. IMUO
I agree, since I watch only for the GT2 Corvette Racing Team. But, the title of the broadcast is the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Speed TV focuses on the race leaders, first, and then the leaders of the other classes.

What I would like to see is the program called "Corvettes at Le Mans" and only focus on that team. Not going to happen, though.
-Clark
Old 06-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by filmjay
I.............................
"The crash" was the Corvette's fault, not the Peugeot. No contact was made. At first viewing, it looks as though the Peugeot is losing his inside line and pushing the Corvette to the outside and into the rough stuff near the edge, causing the rear to step out.
My analysis is that it was a miscommunication on both drivers' parts...but the C6R had the right of way and gave it up; The Corvettes' mistake was that he altered his line to make room for the Peugeot on the inside as the Peugeot was expecting to pass on the outside, then dropped inside as he saw the Vette moving away from the apex. That's just part of developing "racecraft" or technique.

This incident was clearly Anthony Davidson's (Peugeot) fault. In pre-race drivers meetings it was clearly stated that the slower cars continue with their normal line and the faster car find his way around. This happened in the Esses which basically turned this particular portion of the track into a double apex left hander. The Corvette never altered his route and the Peugeot attempet to pass in that very short area between the two apexes.

Crazy and stupid, the Puegot should have been waiting for his opportunity later down the track. It was out right foolish, especially with a car as fast as his who would have easily been able to make the pass only seconds later down track.....

Maybe you'd like to see it again....

Click ===> HERE
Old 06-14-2010, 05:24 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

IMUO
Speed uses the feed from another source, They do not have one of their own...
Old 06-14-2010, 05:26 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glennm27
This incident was clearly Anthony Davidson's (Peugeot) fault. In pre-race drivers meetings it was clearly stated that the slower cars continue with their normal line and the faster car find his way around. This happened in the Esses which basically turned this particular portion of the track into a double apex left hander. The Corvette never altered his route and the Peugeot attempet to pass in that very short area between the two apexes.

Crazy and stupid, the Puegot should have been waiting for his opportunity later down the track. It was out right foolish, especially with a car as fast as his who would have easily been able to make the pass only seconds later down track.....

Maybe you'd like to see it again....

Click ===> HERE
Old 06-14-2010, 05:49 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Damn! Sounds like those engines have oiling issues.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Damn! Sounds like those engines have oiling issues.
The 64 had a major oiling isse. A 1" hole after backing into the armco at speed.....
Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 PM
jaswart
Heel & Toe

Well up till the 'incident' the Corvette team was doing a great job making miles and staying out of the way of rookies and reckless wild guys. It looked like the crew worked their *** off fixing the 64! Couldn't ask for more. I'm sure they'll find and fix the problems on the 63.

Didn't they win 7 of 9 years or something like that? Can't wait till the next time!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 PM
RIRaven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about seeing more of the GT classes - although I recognize that SPEED does not control the feed. However, someone on TV made the point that the Le Mans series contributes more to advances in road cars than any other series. If so, I imagine that statement is based on road cars derivatives in the race rather than the esoteric prototypes. I wonder if Formula 1 contributes just as much to actual road cars as does the prototype classes.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes DNF at Le Mans

Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mhack
Too bad
We were so close..
I wonder what went wrong with the engines..
I thought only LS7s blew up???
Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rpm94
I thought only LS7s blew up???
The (6)3 car engine failed - dunno why. The (6)4 car lost the oil from the accident and ruined the motor, as I understand it.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jaswart
Well up till the 'incident' the Corvette team was doing a great job making miles and staying out of the way of rookies and reckless wild guys. It looked like the crew worked their *** off fixing the 64! Couldn't ask for more. I'm sure they'll find and fix the problems on the 63.

Didn't they win 7 of 9 years or something like that? Can't wait till the next time!
Bad luck this time or they would have finished 1-2...

Quick Reply: Corvettes DNF at Le Mans