C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hated Flying Lizard Porsche Out at Le Mans!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hated Flying Lizard Porsche Out at Le Mans!

The Flying Lizard Porsche Team #80 driven by Jorge Bergmeister et al, is out of the race at Le Mans. This is the car that spun Magnussun into the front straight wall at last year's last ALMS race.

Also out of the race at the 11th hour mark is the #81 Jaguar (1 0f 2 team cars) and the #92 Aston Martin (1 of 2 team cars). The BMW that took 2nd place (and beat the 3rd place Corvette) at last month's Laguna Seca ALMS race is way back in the pack. One of the commentators stated that the BMW was 5 mph slower in top speed than the Corvette Racing Team cars.

BTW, there are two Corvettes in the GT1 class but are a French team. They are not doing as well in their class, being led by a Saleen at the 11th hour into the race. -Clark
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Go C6!

Odd to see the French team using Corvettes, don't you think?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:06 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino

Go C6!

Odd to see the French team using Corvettes, don't you think?
They know those GT1 Vettes were pretty unbeatable.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like Corvettes are 1st and 2nd position, with closest GT2 competitor over 3 minutes behind. Ferrari that was fighing them for GT2 lead broke the gearbox.

you can hate on the Porsches all you want but I think it sucks that 4 teams had theirs GT2 cars DNF. the whole point of Corvette going to GT2 was to have more actual racing... not just finishing first.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
looks like Corvettes are 1st and 2nd position, with closest GT2 competitor over 3 minutes behind. Ferrari that was fighing them for GT2 lead broke the gearbox.

you can hate on the Porsches all you want but I think it sucks that 4 teams had theirs GT2 cars DNF. the whole point of Corvette going to GT2 was to have more actual racing... not just finishing first.
Agreed, but it is not called endurance racing for nothing. If you car can't handle the duration, then you go home early.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

updated standings show Porsches within 30 seconds of Corvettes, maybe we will see another GT2 battle...
Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

It's not over and it sure isn't Corvette Racing at fault. I think the whole point was to prove that the Corvette can run with any of them, including from a reliability basis, and win. Though it can be said that MAYBE, running against these new Corvettes is causing some of these other cars to fail because they are working so hard at attacking them.

BTW, when was the last time you heard a Corvette Racing Team car DNF if it wasn't in an accident? I can't think of one.
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just past half way and the GT2 Corvettes are ahead of ALL GT1 & GT2 cars!
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Corvette garage being shown...
Tire heaters getting them up to 150 degrees before changing at pit stop..sweet.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 06-12-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkakirby
The Flying Lizard Porsche Team #80 driven by Jorge Bergmeister et al, is out of the race at Le Mans. This is the car that spun Magnussun into the front straight wall at last year's last ALMS race.

Also out of the race at the 11th hour mark is the #81 Jaguar (1 0f 2 team cars) and the #92 Aston Martin (1 of 2 team cars). The BMW that took 2nd place (and beat the 3rd place Corvette) at last month's Laguna Seca ALMS race is way back in the pack. One of the commentators stated that the BMW was 5 mph slower in top speed than the Corvette Racing Team cars.

BTW, there are two Corvettes in the GT1 class but are a French team. They are not doing as well in their class, being led by a Saleen at the 11th hour into the race. -Clark
GT1 is an attrition race! C6.Rs are 2nd and 3rd. The SR7 will likely break!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:29 AM
clarkakirby
Racer

I hate the Flying Lizard Team Porsches because of the Pit Manuever their driver Jorge Bergmeister pulled on Corvette driver Jan Magnussen at the 2009 Laguna Seca race.

Plus, Porsches have had their day in the sun. They have dominated all forms of competition for 30 years or more. It is way past time for the Corvettes to have their decades. Go Team Corvette!
-Clark
Old 06-13-2010, 04:15 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettedoogie

BTW, when was the last time you heard a Corvette Racing Team car DNF if it wasn't in an accident? I can't think of one.
unfortunately, this is exactly what has happened few hours ago http://www.lemans.org/en/news/73-Cor...tires_980.html
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

And so are we...wtf?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

After watching the 64 car being taken-out of its first place position at Le Mans I think we may have worthy competition to the hated Flying Lizard Porsche.

I hate the Flying Lizard Team Porsches because of the Pit Manuever their driver Jorge Bergmeister pulled on Corvette driver Jan Magnussen at the 2009 Laguna Seca race.

Plus, Porsches have had their day in the sun. They have dominated all forms of competition for 30 years or more. It is way past time for the Corvettes to have their decades. Go Team Corvette!
-Clark
All credit to Porsche for their achievements but the GT1 Corvettes were pretty dominate IMHO. Aston Martin gave them a good run at times but Corvettes ruled GT1. I enjoy the variety of competition in GT2 but the GT1 C6.R is still my favorite.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Those two driver are not saints. They both were involved in questionable tactics in that race, and they were both suspended for (what I remember to be) two races after that Laguna Seca race.

Additionally, I do not think Bergmeister's goal was a pit maneuver. He had nose position coming out of the final corner and he "used" the whole track down the straight. Magnussen continued to try to stick his nose in front (staying on the inside) when there was no passing lane to do so. He ended up hitting the wall and loosing control.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:37 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

This is the car that spun Magnussun into the front straight wall at last year's last ALMS race.
I was wondering just this when I saw this thread title.

The Corvettes didn't fare so well with the engine problems. Oiling issues....sound familiar?

I caught a little bit, 'til about the 19th hour this morning before I went to bed. The Pratt C6.R driver lost it in Corvette Corner to the outside with a P1 Audi trying to get under him.
As they came into the corner, he tried to move to the outside but was forced into the marbles. The rear swung out and took the P&M C6.R into the wall, ending its' day.

Arguments are that he should have let the Audi by sooner and that he was "defending aggressively". But from what I saw, he was moving to the outside to let the Audi by. He was going a bit too fast for the slightly outside line the Audi forced him into and lost it.
But it wasn't the Audi's fault...oh nooo. Their driver said that it was all the Corvette's fault, blah, blah, blah. Yet that Audi driver was having issues all day with his car control.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:41 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

With the race over who won the GT1 and GT2 classes
Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Notch
Safety Car

-Clark
So it's only right for everybody to have their time on the top podium? That sounds a lot like..."OK Tommy, you've won the school ping-pong tournament the last three years in a row, so this year it's John's turn to win."

Last edited by Notch; 06-14-2010 at 11:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hated Flying Lizard Porsche Out at Le Mans!

Quick Reply: Hated Flying Lizard Porsche Out at Le Mans!