C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran Over Truck Tire Derbris

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 PM
usraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM
TWOBUELLS
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wrrn73
Twobuells,if you really hate trucks try to go for 1 week not using anything that moves by truck!
I'm well aware of what they carry and what i use , I just wish they had their own damn roads , sort of like a train that has it's own track......
Humm , Now that sounds like a novel idea. A train on a track , carrying tons of freight and not destoying our roads and cars.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jpee
You are Sooooooooo Right.. about 5 months ago a deer ran out from my left.. I swerved to the right, & hit a rock on the side of the road (about the size of a bowling ball) .. ruined a rim and front tire, & the right rocker panel (its an expensive part on C6) its part of the door frame.. damage was over $5000

I was told it was collision because I swerved into the rock, BUT had I drove straight ahead into the deer it would have been covered under comprehensive....

Yea.. and the F***ING deer may have gone through my windshield and killed me

If I had lied, and said the deer ran into me causing me to lose control and hit the rock comprehensive would have covered it...

Bottom line if your "Honest you get screwed"
Yup.......the operative word in this case would have been the "deer ran into you"; you didn't run into the deer.

The deer running into you would have been considered the "proximate cause" of damage that created the ensuing loss. Therefore this would have been treated as a Comprehensive Claim.

If however you ran into the deer or swerved to avoid the deer and struck something else and caused property damage or bodily injury; it would have been treated as a Collision Claim subject to a deductible and potential loss of any safe driver discounts and a potential accident surcharge rate increase.

In the OP's case, if he was driving at the posted rate of speed in his lane and simply drove over the recap even though it was unavoidable and damaged his car; it's considered a Collision Claim subject to a deductible and rate surcharges.

If however the OP was driving at the posted rate of speed and all of a sudden the truck in front of him shedded a recap and the recap flew through the air and struck the OP's vehicle and caused damage to his vehicle; now it's a Comprehensive Claim.

The semantics are sooooo important.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Shelbyvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by savewave
Good luck on getting the car running right.

I was talking to a retired truck driver recently and told him I thought they should outlaw recaps on trucks because of all the failures you see in the road. He said it's not economically feasible to use non-recaps except on the front steering tires. He claimed the problem is not the recaps, but drivers not keeping the tires properly inflated.
I drove semi for 13 years and lost tread on regular tires too. No one I knew of would put a cap on the front. and if the front made it to 80,000 miles it got changed and put on the trailer.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:55 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

and the problem was.....??
Old 05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
rjbraud
Instructor

If however the OP was driving at the posted rate of speed and all of a sudden the truck in front of him shredded a recap and the recap flew through the air and struck the OP's vehicle and caused damage to his vehicle; now it's a Comprehensive Claim.

I was actually driving 5 miles below the posted speed and the recap flew from the truck that was about 65 yards in front of me. It landed right in front of me and I rolled over it. It did not actually strike the exterior of the vehicle. The timing of it landing on the ground and falling right in front of my vehicle was perfect (from the standpoint of it not damaging the exterior of the vehicle).

State Farm says it is a collision claim since I rolled over the recap and it did not hit me.

They did indicate that since I was not "at fault" that it should not impact future premiums. We'll see. I'm still arguing for it to be covered under comprehensive, but I think it may be futile.

I'm expecting an estimate of the undercarriage damage -- as well as the diagnosis of why the engine is miss-firing, tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:54 AM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rjbraud
If however the OP was driving at the posted rate of speed and all of a sudden the truck in front of him shredded a recap and the recap flew through the air and struck the OP's vehicle and caused damage to his vehicle; now it's a Comprehensive Claim.

I was actually driving 5 miles below the posted speed and the recap flew from the truck that was about 65 yards in front of me. It landed right in front of me and I rolled over it. It did not actually strike the exterior of the vehicle. The timing of it landing on the ground and falling right in front of my vehicle was perfect (from the standpoint of it not damaging the exterior of the vehicle).

State Farm says it is a collision claim since I rolled over the recap and it did not hit me.

They did indicate that since I was not "at fault" that it should not impact future premiums. We'll see. I'm still arguing for it to be covered under comprehensive, but I think it may be futile.

I'm expecting an estimate of the undercarriage damage -- as well as the diagnosis of why the engine is miss-firing, tomorrow.
I do applaud your honesty with State Farm concerning the specifics of the claim; however if State Farm intends on coding the claim loss as a "Collision"; I regret to inform you that all Collision claims are considered to be "At Fault" and as such could be subject to the loss of any safe driver discounts as well as an accident surcharge.

Many insurers will however offer "Accident Forgiveness" and no loss of current safe driver discounts or accident surcharges if you've been with your insurer for say at least 5 years or more. This varies by insurers and the state in which they do business.

But once State Farm reports the Collision to Choice Point which is the insurance industries repository for claims reporting for all prospective insurers; it would hamper your ability to shop for insurance with another carrier for at least 3 years in most states.

If the gator had broken loose from the truck and struck your vehicle while air born even if it bounced off the highway; it would by definition be considered a Comprehensive Claim as the gator hit you rather than you hitting it and therefore an At Fault Collision Claim.

Unfortunately; if it was just laying in the road and you were forced to have to drive over top of it; it will be classifed as an At Fault Collision Claim.

Are you 100 percent sure that it didn't hit you?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 AM
rjbraud
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6LSx
I do applaud your honesty with State Farm concerning the specifics of the claim; however if State Farm intends on coding the claim loss as a "Collision"; I regret to inform you that all Collision claims are considered to be "At Fault" and as such could be subject to the loss of any safe driver discounts as well as an accident surcharge.

Many insurers will however offer "Accident Forgiveness" and no loss of current safe driver discounts or accident surcharges if you've been with your insurer for say at least 5 years or more. This varies by insurers and the state in which they do business.

But once State Farm reports the Collision to Choice Point which is the insurance industries repository for claims reporting for all prospective insurers; it would hamper your ability to shop for insurance with another carrier for at least 3 years in most states.

If the gator had broken loose from the truck and struck your vehicle while air born even if it bounced off the highway; it would by definition be considered a Comprehensive Claim as the gator hit you rather than you hitting it and therefore an At Fault Collision Claim.

Unfortunately; if it was just laying in the road and you were forced to have to drive over top of it; it will be classifed as an At Fault Collision Claim.

Are you 100 percent sure that it didn't hit you?
I am in the process of appealing the "ruling". I clearly explained that the recap hit my vehicle (vs. me rolling over it). I further explained that it flew in the air, and "laid down" flat on the road and hit the underside of my car. I think he is doubting my word since the exterior of the vehicle (nose/bumper, etc.) was not damaged.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM
rjbraud
Instructor

UPDATE: Total damage is $3,500. Cause of the engine vibration was bent fan and broken fan shield. Apparently the tire strip hit/broke the fan shield, and that in turn damaged and bent the fan. The fan hitting the shield, as well as the fan being out of balance, is apparently the cause of the vibration. Most of the damage is the plastic deflectors and shrouds, a cracked rocker panel and damage to a couple of the panels in the rear underside. While a PIA, I am very happy and fortunate that we were not injured, didn't hurt anyone(s) else, that the damage is fixable and insurance will cover the majority. I am still arguing my point with the insurance carrier. While I may not be successful, it won't be due to lack of effort. While my attempts may be futile, I will be writing to public and government officials regarding my concern for road debris in general, and 18 wheeler recaps specifically. I have been observing recap strips along Highway 59, I 10 and I 45 in the Houston area since Monday and I'm shocked to see how many "tire carcasses" there are along the side of the highways. I never realized how significant this issue is.

I really appreciate the care, thoughts and input from my fellow CF buddies. I only hope I can return the favor some day.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:15 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

RJ, it is a HUGE issue in Houston because we get a lot of...less than stellar vehicles coming up into our state lets say.

My wife totalled her Solstice when a truck threw a tire infront of her and caused her to spin.

Originally Posted by wrrn73
Twobuells,if you really hate trucks try to go for 1 week not using anything that moves by truck!
Being necessary and liking them are two separate things

I too hate truck drivers that don't properly maintain their vehicles or clean up their massive debris that they leave when a recapped tire comes apart. It's unacceptable.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 05-28-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

I am in the process of appealing the "ruling". I clearly explained that the recap hit my vehicle (vs. me rolling over it). I further explained that it flew in the air, and "laid down" flat on the road and hit the underside of my car. I think he is doubting my word since the exterior of the vehicle (nose/bumper, etc.) was not damaged.
OK....here's a bit of information that will send you straight to the head of the class as well as making the claims adjuster's day!

Just as you explained; the recap was shreaded from the truck in front of you; flew through the air, struck the nose of your vehicle and was then forced underneath causing whatever damage that ensued.

Explain to the claims adjuster that the urethane front bumper nose was the initial point of impact.

And as such; the front urethane bumper nose performed exactly how it was engineered in crash tests without causing exterior damage to the urethane nose cap.

Meaning that the front urethane nose bumper and its underneath styrofoam structure with its engineered crumple shock zones absorbed the energy of the intial impact.

Your concern now is that although the urethane bumper nose "appears" to be without damage; the underneath styrofoam structure with it's engineered crumple zones has now been compromised from the frontal initial impact.

In fact; that may very well be the case.

Once a front bumper absorbs and disperses the energy from an kind of frontal impact; the crumple zones in the underneath styrofoam structure is usually always compromised and needs to be replaced. This can actually affect future front air bag demployment if not inspected and replaced if damaged.

Insist that you want the front urethane bumper nose removed and inspected for damage as well as insisting that the insurance company replace the underneath styrofoam structure with its engineered crumple zones.

Last edited by C6LSx; 05-28-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
rjbraud
Instructor

OK....here's a bit of information that will send you straight to the head of the class as well as making the claims adjuster's day!

Just as you explained; the recap was shreaded from the truck in front of you; flew through the air, struck the nose of your vehicle and was then forced underneath causing whatever damage that ensued.

Explain to the claims adjuster that the urethane front bumper nose was the initial point of impact.

And as such; the front urethane bumper nose performed exactly how it was engineered in crash tests without causing exterior damage to the urethane nose cap.

Meaning that the front urethane nose bumper and its underneath styrofoam structure with its engineered crumple shock zones absorbed the energy of the intial impact.

Your concern now is that although the urethane bumper nose "appears" to be without damage; the underneath styrofoam structure with it's engineered crumple zones has now been compromised from the frontal initial impact.

Once a front bumper absorbs and disperses the energy from an kind of frontal impact; the crumple zones in the underneath styrofoam structure is usually always compromised and needs to be replaced. This can actually affect future front air bag demployment if not inspected and replaced if damaged.

Insist that you want the front urethane bumper nose removed and inspected for damage as well as insisting that the insurance company replace the underneath styrofoam structure with its engineered crumple zones.
C6LSx - While I did not describe it as succinctly, and with the expertise you did, this is the approach I am taking.

I cannot express my appreciation for the information and insight you are providing. You are 100% "right on" that semantics are so important.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 PM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

C6LSx - While I did not describe it as succinctly, and with the expertise you did, this is the approach I am taking.

I cannot express my appreciation for the information and insight you are providing. You are 100% "right on" that semantics are so important.
I've spent almost 25 years years in the insurance/auto industry. Feel free to PM or email me if you have any specific questions.

Remain steadfast and vigilant in your statement of facts regarding the claim; I wish you great luck.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:46 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I was on the interstate with the top down and a buddy of mine in the passenger seat when we passed a truck. When we were a few hundred feet ahead of him, we heard a BOOM behind us. I looked in the mirror to see that the rear tire on our side has blown out sideways. We dodged a bullet as I'm sure my buddy would have been injured if it had happened when we were right next to him. It always amazes me how stupid people can be when they drive along right next to an 18 wheeler for a long time...need to get past them, not hang around waiting for a problem....
Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I do wonder about the underlined above. I've been watching the "safer barriers" used at various race tracks, and most of them get smacked pretty hard, from side or front or rear impacts. They are not replaced every time they are hit.

Is there some major difference in the Corvette foam vs. the "safer barriers"?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 PM
C6LSx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AORoads
I do wonder about the underlined above. I've been watching the "safer barriers" used at various race tracks, and most of them get smacked pretty hard, from side or front or rear impacts. They are not replaced every time they are hit.

Is there some major difference in the Corvette foam vs. the "safer barriers"?
Somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison in engineering design, but a very valid question nevertheless.

The foam absorber/insulator behind the vehicles urethane bumper cover is manufactured from injection molded styrofoam with internal gussets or crumple zones designed to provide structural support to the outside bumper cover and absorb impact and disperse energy on impacts usually rated at about 5 mph before transferring energy an subsequent damage to the vehicle and its occupants. This foam component has a replacement cost of anywher from $9.00 to $120.00 on average.

The "crash barriers" utilized on various race tracks and vehicle highway off-ramps serve a very similiar purpose but unlike vehicle bumpers; they are highly engineered to absorb impact at much greater speeds and ultimately transfer energy to help protect vehicle operators in a collision from serious injury or death. While foam may be used in some of these crash barrier systems, I imagine that most of them also use a variety of composite and structural materials as well.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes, absolutely they do use steel and other things besides the foam. Glad to read your response and thanks!

You can find info on 'safer barriers' anywhere. Steel and Foam Energy Reduction, shortened to 'safer'.

Get notified of new replies

To Ran Over Truck Tire Derbris

Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 PM
kannibul
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWOBUELLS
This is why i hate trucks and wish they had their own roads...
I would be happy if they would just outlaw retreads.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 PM
kannibul
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE: Total damage is $3,500. Cause of the engine vibration was bent fan and broken fan shield. Apparently the tire strip hit/broke the fan shield, and that in turn damaged and bent the fan. The fan hitting the shield, as well as the fan being out of balance, is apparently the cause of the vibration. Most of the damage is the plastic deflectors and shrouds, a cracked rocker panel and damage to a couple of the panels in the rear underside. While a PIA, I am very happy and fortunate that we were not injured, didn't hurt anyone(s) else, that the damage is fixable and insurance will cover the majority. I am still arguing my point with the insurance carrier. While I may not be successful, it won't be due to lack of effort. While my attempts may be futile, I will be writing to public and government officials regarding my concern for road debris in general, and 18 wheeler recaps specifically. I have been observing recap strips along Highway 59, I 10 and I 45 in the Houston area since Monday and I'm shocked to see how many "tire carcasses" there are along the side of the highways. I never realized how significant this issue is.

I really appreciate the care, thoughts and input from my fellow CF buddies. I only hope I can return the favor some day.
Wow...$3500.

That for me is borderline where I'd debate on filing an insurance claim or not.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I hate those damn road gators, I ran over one last month following a truck - threw my air dam out of place.

Quick Reply: Ran Over Truck Tire Derbris