C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Base Auto Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:19 AM
calaher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Base Auto Transmission Problem

Car is just a bit over 44K miles. Driving home last night and Check Engine Light comes on and stays on. Pulled over and stopped (kept engine running) and read manual - said something about possible emission control problem and to have it checked soon. Also checked gas cap and reseated because I did just fill up about 20 minutes prior. No other warning lights or sounds. Put car in gear to head home and seemed like it was sluggish, like it was starting on 2nd or 3rd gear. Then quickly noticed that it was stuck on the one gear and wasn't shifting at all. At 40 mph, was running at ~2,000 rpm. Got off the highway and took back roads, keeping rpm down below 3,000. Car had been trouble-free and serviced on schedule. Last service was 2 months ago to correct the rear end clunk and dealer did the differential fluid TSB. He said no codes came up so not likely a tranny problem.

Any ideas on the cause? Is there anything in the DIC that I can check? Do I have a hosed tranny? BTW, I have GMPP Major Guard and will take to dealer this comming week but wanted to see if I can get educated first. Thanks in advance for the help...
Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

I had a different problem with the tranny gear shifter, but I feel your pain.

I had 13k on the 07 A6 Z51, and had a bit of trouble pulling it out of park at a light. Got home, and went to put it in Park, and it wouldn't go past neutral, not reverse, either.

Turned out to be a broken shift cable, and some kind of bent lever, replaced whole model for $600, covered under extended GMPP. Got to love the piece of mind the ext warr gives.

Your problem is obviously in your tranny, not your shifter, but don't be surprised if you do if you have the car for awhile.

Battery voltage got a litte low b4 I could disconnect the cable (because radio light wouldn't shut off w/o it in park (!), left it for 2 hours b4 I could get to it. Car wouldn't take a jump from me, tow truck driver, or dealer. 9 mo. old battery, and dealer had to recharge it to get it into the bay, been fine ever since.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:55 AM
calaher
Advanced

Originally Posted by chgoblue
I had a different problem with the tranny gear shifter, but I feel your pain. ... Turned out to be a broken shift cable...
Had a shifter problem last year. It would go in either D or S OK but only way to go into R was to go to P first and then down to R. A real nuisance when parking. Also, it could be easily be "bumped" from D to S. Dealer had to do something with the shifter cable. Yes, thank goodness for GMPP!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 AM
saintsfan1
Advanced

Is there a TSB on the rear end clunk? I took mine to the dealer for this problem and was told this is normal.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by saintsfan1
Is there a TSB on the rear end clunk? I took mine to the dealer for this problem and was told this is normal.
I don't have it, again, in my 07 A6 Z51...maybe they didn't put it in the LMB

That is frustrating since it's one of those slightly beneath the surface problems that a dealer can say, "Oh, that's normal". It sounds like because they aren't sure of what is normal, or how to fix it, so that's the easiest thing to say. They get paid either way (warr or not), but they won't take the job if they don't think they can figure it out.

I don't know, maybe describe the clunk, when it does it, how loud, etc, and do a poll for your year, model, suspension package, etc. And, point out that you want feedback from people who DON'T HAVE A CLUNK, since that's the whole point of the survey.

Just an idea. Maybe take it to any independent shop you trust, or one of your buddies knows, give em $20 just to have them take a ride around the block.

Or, better yet, go to a local informal Vette gathering, and see what the other Vettsters have to say.

Oh, yea, and here's to Dennis Fitchner and the GMPP
Old 05-23-2010, 02:22 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The only thing "normal" about it is that it is normal for them to tell you that!!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

hmm, goes from perfect running to CEL after filling tank? sounds fishy to me, like maybe a gas issue, potentially. any issues before with trans at all? tell us what dealer finds.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:36 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Sorry, I forgot to say maybe 'run a poll' asking if anyone has had a clunk or no clunk, "describe the clunk, when it does it, how loud, etc, and do a poll for your year, model, suspension package, etc. And, point out that you want feedback from people who DON'T HAVE A CLUNK, since that's the whole point of the survey."
Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 PM
calaher
Advanced

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570150095-post8.html
Old 05-23-2010, 05:56 PM
mus99gt
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

I have an 06 with automatic. My car has done this 2 times in 2 1/2 years. It did the other day. I cleared the codes and no more issues. The first time I took it to the dealership and they did the same. Could not find any errors in the TCM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM
bladesilvervette
Advanced

there is a TSB on the 6 speed auto tranny's pulling a pin loose on the tranny 21 pin conector. the tranny will default to 2nd gear you and pull it down to first. but there also is a traction control message and abs message at the same time. The problem being is that the harness is pulled short and the black with red wire will be pulled " you will have to look hard to see this" but will be very intermitent . I have seen this a few times . This wire will cause loss of comm at the bcm, tcm , and abs. Let me know if this helps
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM
calaher
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies. Will post after I take to dealer and (hopefully) resolved...
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 PM
calaher
Advanced

UPDATE: Got it back from dealer today. Codes were P0700 and P1825. Transmission range switch intermittent open circuit. Replaced shift valve range switch. Found no burning smell in transmission oil. Told them to go ahead and replace fluids anyway. Seemed OK on drive home. Will keep an eye on it until I regain confidence that all is well again...
Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by calaher
UPDATE: Got it back from dealer today. Codes were P0700 and P1825. Transmission range switch intermittent open circuit. Replaced shift valve range switch. Found no burning smell in transmission oil. Told them to go ahead and replace fluids anyway. Seemed OK on drive home. Will keep an eye on it until I regain confidence that all is well again...
There have been quite a few threads on this. No repeats after repair as far as I remember. Glad your dealer got straightened out for you quickly.

In case you're interested in an explanation here's one from Talon90:

the P0700 is an code set with the TCM has a failed diagnostic, meaning something else caused the failure. The P1825 is the failure that requested the P0700. The P1825 is from the IMS as noted. This likely means that the mode switch detected a condition that didn't agree with the mechanical shift. The IMS is basically an electrical confirmation of a mechanical action within the automatic transmission. The shift lever will move some slides that will open fluid ports. The IMS will look to confirm that the mechanical switch took place. Unfortunately these two codes don't tell you much and further diagnostics are required.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 PM
calaher
Advanced

Thanks. Looks like I need to learn how to do more effective searches 'cause I looked hard for something like what Talon90.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

good to hear the results and fix.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Good to hear the okay news - problem minor and solved.

Absent the clunk (I know - unrelated), I have heard little in the way of tranny failures, if you discount the dudes running 600+ HP through the A6.

I'm hoping that the tranny (yeah, I know - "hope" is not a "plan") in these does not turn out to be problematic as this is not a simple drop it operation to rebuild it. Still better than my buddies' Porsche Boxter sitting in his garage with a dead manual tranny.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

This is why I'm glad I got the old tried and true 4 spd auto 465LE on the 2005 model.

Get notified of new replies

To '06 Base Auto Transmission Problem

Quick Reply: '06 Base Auto Transmission Problem