C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow is my vert top hard to lock in place now after I did the recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Wow is my vert top hard to lock in place now after I did the recall

Just got home with my vert and went to put the top back up and had to use some muscle to get it locked in place. Any of you other vert folks who did the recall having the same problem. BTW, this was the recall that was to fix the issue with tops peeling back at speeds over 100mph.

Still cracks me up that there was enough of us going over 100mph to cause the recall
Old 05-21-2010, 08:07 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the recall done last fall and haven't noticed anything different about pulling the header down and latching it. Take it back to the dealer and ask them to check their work??
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 PM
sox3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't think "verts" had a recall?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

what recall?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would be glad that the top is a tighter fit now, since the recall was for the top fabric peeling back at high speed. Give it a bit of time to compress and then maybe take it back and ask them.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
what recall?
April last year, "certain" '08 and '09 convertibles. I got the recall notice for mine.....and I'm running out of time to use it....expires May 31, 2010.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-corvette.html
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cclive
I would be glad that the top is a tighter fit now, since the recall was for the top fabric peeling back at high speed. Give it a bit of time to compress and then maybe take it back and ask them.
Good point.. I read the work order and they also replaced the top of the windshield weather stripping....They were suppose to replace the side window weather stripping since the flat black paint is flaking off but they ordered the wrong part and just replaced it anyways at no cost.

I am thinking now it may be the new weather stripping on top that is causing it. I'll wait a couple of weeks and see since I have to go back anyways for the side ones.

Thanks all for the replies.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
Good point.. I read the work order and they also replaced the top of the windshield weather stripping....They were suppose to replace the side window weather stripping since the flat black paint is flaking off but they ordered the wrong part and just replaced it anyways at no cost.

I am thinking now it may be the new weather stripping on top that is causing it. I'll wait a couple of weeks and see since I have to go back anyways for the side ones.

Thanks all for the replies.
I'm glad I didn't have to do it with my '05 but I bet the top with be real easy to work by the end of the summer!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the recall done several months ago and there was no difference in closing the convertible top. Mine has always taken a stiff pull and twist of the handle when the top contacts the rubber seal. I'm very happy with the way it works and it has never leaked a drop when I got stuck in a rainfall. I just love my special ordered 09 Vert, here is a pic of my one of a kind Vert.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:17 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
April last year, "certain" '08 and '09 convertibles. I got the recall notice for mine.....and I'm running out of time to use it....expires May 31, 2010.

Good! Mine not included!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 AM
ironmanthor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem on my 09 vert. Its clearly an alignment issue. tops are expensive by hours at dealer, so they will probably try any excuse. But realistically the top should latch with 2 fingers if done correctly. Dont let them say let it settle or anything. It wont free up to where it should have been if done right. If they wont, sit out front with a big sign on yor car asking why they wont fix your major purchase vette correctly. Sit in front of service until you get enough attention. But these tops should be as easy as a manual with the power. If you have to work that hard for a top to latch it isnt in the design. They can and should be very easy.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:04 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks, Rick. I completely forgot about this one (thought it might be the tearing liner issue). I'd checked my vin and like one of the fellas above, my vin was before the recall. So far, top is in great shape.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ironmanthor
I had this problem on my 09 vert. Its clearly an alignment issue. tops are expensive by hours at dealer, so they will probably try any excuse. But realistically the top should latch with 2 fingers if done correctly. Dont let them say let it settle or anything. It wont free up to where it should have been if done right. If they wont, sit out front with a big sign on yor car asking why they wont fix your major purchase vette correctly. Sit in front of service until you get enough attention. But these tops should be as easy as a manual with the power. If you have to work that hard for a top to latch it isnt in the design. They can and should be very easy.
Thanks Ironman for letting me know you had a similar problem. I'll call on Monday so they have a record of my complaint about it. Prior to them fixing the recall, it did take a couple of fingers to latch. Now, I really have to pull it down.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:55 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake

Good! Mine not included!
Nor mine

Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I replaced it myself last year. I put my top down almost everytime I drive it and haven't had ANY problems...
Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ironmanthor
As a first time vert owner, I also noticed that locking the top on my 4 week old GS power top vert seemed more difficult then I would have expected. Good info, I will have it checked out!

Get notified of new replies

To Wow is my vert top hard to lock in place now after I did the recall

Quick Reply: Wow is my vert top hard to lock in place now after I did the recall