C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver door latch not operating.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Brian2010
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys beat me to it. Since the vette doesn't have the piec that pops up like the old cars, i guess its hard to tell.Yes there is a solenoid in the door. That was my guess. I have friends that do alarms and they are usually 30 bucks. I guess vette tax kicks in. Good job though to all very informative.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Michael Alan
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure why you would be afraid to take it to the dealer. It is an easy repair at the dealership. They don't even need to put the car on a lift. They also have a Tech II which can be used to look at the diagnostic codes that each module may set which can make it a lot easier to find the problem.

Don't suspect the switch right away just because so many people jump to it. You can do a few things yourself to isolate the problem before buying parts. If the door opens using the inside button and not the outside the switch becomes a potential culprit so swapping with the other side is a way to verify that is or is not. If the door doesn't open using the inside or outside switch then the failure is in the door module or the door latch in the B Pillar. If your window goes crazy and starts indexing up and down with the door closed the problem is definitely the door module. If the window indexes properly when you try to open the door but the door will not open from inside our outside start looking at the latch as the door module is probably in good shape. Besides these specific pieces of hardware the wiring to each of them needs to be checked since corrosion can build up in the connectors and cause the same issues.

Bill
Actually the reason I don't go to the dealer is----THEY RAPE YOU
FYI, this door latch is $300 at the dealer,(which i verified online---used run $100-$200) and they want $450 to install--AND I'VE BEEN TO 2 DEALERS THAT SAID SAME THING!! So i go on youtube--and wouldn't you know it--it's a 20 minute fix. you simply unplug the old door latch and plug in the new one. Unfortunately, its hard to find used drivers side door latches, probably because they are the first to blow.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Michael Alan
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mariomark
My drivers door latch will no longer open the door. The window zips up and down but I have to use the emergency lever to get out. I have to pop the rear hatch and pull the release in order to get in the car. Any Ideas??
welcome to the party---happens to everybody!

buy the door latch used---watch the youtube video on it---it takes 20 minutes to fix---the part is hard to find used though---they have plenty of passenger door latches but drivers side is hard to come by

Old 09-26-2018, 01:04 PM
Dieaug23
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Michael Alan

buy the door latch used---watch the youtube video on it---it takes 20 minutes to fix---the part is hard to find used though---they have plenty of passenger door latches but drivers side is hard to come by

I am having the same problem when I try to open my drivers side door the window goes down like it should but the door will not open... Only opens using the 2 door release's, so I took the 2 screws out and the side panel and pulled the latch out and when you try to open the door you can hear it trying to move... I have tried to get another one but I can not find it anywhere, so where and or what website can I go to, to buy another one? Also I have seen several videos on YouTube, but can you give me a link to the best video showing how to replace it? Thanks
Old 09-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Dieaug23
2nd Gear

Default 2009 C6 Door Latch...

I am having the same problem when I try to open my drivers side door the window goes down like it should but the door will not open... Only opens using the 2 door release's, so I took the 2 screws out and the side panel and pulled the latch out and when you try to open the door you can hear it trying to move... I have tried to get another one but I can not find it anywhere, so where and or what website can I go to, to buy another one? Also I have seen several videos on YouTube, but can you give me a link to the best video showing how to replace it? Thanks
Old 12-02-2018, 05:35 PM
gtmalone
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

This problem started the other day. Thanks for the info and here is a pretty good video on the remove/replace. One thing I would add is to witness mark the two mounting bolts to get the latch alignment close to the original position.

Last edited by gtmalone; 12-02-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:04 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Subscribed. i have the same issue. Dealer wants $300+ for new door latch actuator.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:24 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My problem began today. Following this thread.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by MYMOOMBA
Okay here is my experience...this just happened to me on Turkey Day
Problem: Drivers side door won't open...window will drop down and I can hear the switch attempting to work but no luck.

Solution: If your passenger door works fine...then before you go purchase a switch pad at dealership ($15) swap the passenger pad switch to drivers side (FITS BOTH SIDES)...IF it is works...then all you need to do is purchase a new pad switch. If it doesn't work then it is your Latch Solenoid. This part is located on the door jamb and has a solenoid that will go bad after a while and must be replaced. The part is about $169 at dealership. Also very easy to install.

I made the mistake of assuming it was my pad switch..I purchased and replaced it and still not woking...Dealerships WILL NOT take electronic parts back so -I RECOMMEND my solution above. Good Luck!

Rudy - Houston, TX
No Solenoid, it has a small motor that turns the gears to operate the door lock.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:05 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Other than the dealer, where's a good place to get the solenoid? Dealer here want's so much money it's almost better to get the entire latch assembly.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:46 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Lee who made the 200,000 mile Z06 video says he replaced his drivers door latch with one purchased from Gene Culley (forum vendor) if I recall correctly. Cultrag? Genuine GM part, new, want to say he said he spent <$200 and difficulty 1-5 was a 1.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:09 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Michael Alan

20 minutes to replace the lock in the B pillar.....
Old 12-11-2018, 11:28 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus
Other than the dealer, where's a good place to get the solenoid? Dealer here want's so much money it's almost better to get the entire latch assembly.
GM Parts Direct can get you one for $122.00 + it's a 'Special Order Part'. It is a complete assy I would like to know where that Solenoid is at???...I took my old one apart and there is no Solenoid in it.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:31 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gtmalone
This problem started the other day. Thanks for the info and here is a pretty good video on the remove/replace. One thing I would add is to witness mark the two mounting bolts to get the latch alignment close to the original position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOa0Da61Hw
Did I miss a page? You do not show how you got the panel off on the inside behind the seat.

Quick Reply: Driver door latch not operating.