C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seats not comfortable in the c6s??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

To both my wife and myself, the C6 seats are more comfortable than our Caddy STS. We even stepped up to the STS over the CTS specifically because of the seats. The combined milage is 100K for both '08s, but the Vette alone is 64K.

I think seat issues are more related to the size and age of C6 owners.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C6 seats are comfortable and my Vette puts up a very nice ride to boot with plenty of carving ability for the street. Only issue I have is the wimpy bolstering. This car has it all. GT cruising, turn carving, hugh power, good MPG ( on the freeway )
Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Chrisbert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 08 3LT seats are very comfy. I especially like the headrest padding. My guess is they chose seats that were already certified (including airbags) and fit a mass market at a desired price-point. Knowing enthusiasts would replace them anyway for track use.

I guess it would be cool to have a small bump of padding in the middle of the lower seat (between my thighs), and larger lower bolsters on some occasions, but on most occasions that would just be "extra". If they decide to make it more race-oriented in a future version they could add some knee brace padding on the door and tunnel too.

Perhaps the C7 will offer with a stripped version a'la the new Boxster or Lotus with a lot of the luxury removed (below a LT1 even, which is still quite feature-rich inside). IF they ever get around to the C7.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I have to admit, on my first extended road trip, my butt kept getting sore on the way there.
Really gotta avoid those truck stops
Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

While I can't comment on long term seat comfort (still shopping for my first Corvette), I do remember noticing that my legs were more straight out when I first sat in a Corvette. If you're used to a typical vehicle's seating, your legs are bent (more like sitting in an office chair), but in the vette, with the seats so low, your feet would be on the ground. That little bit of stretching on hamstrings will create a bit more strain on your back...which I'm wondering is part of the complaints (quality/material issues aside) that I've seen in my research.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM
MSO4
Racer

My '01 Z06 seats were unsupported.

My C6 sport seats are night and day better. I love them! As much as I love my BMW 335i sport seats.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:43 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I respect your opinion but I don't think C6 seats are "**** poor." There's certainly room for improvement but I find the C6 seats comfortable and acceptably functional for the majority of Corvette owners. I understand why we have the seats we do.
I completely understand why we ahve the seats we do as well...that doesn't make them any better when you decide to turn the steering wheel though.

The seats in the C6 are comfortable and very friendly for daily-driving and highway cruising...but that's where it ends.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
For me, the 2001 3LT sport seats were more comfortable than the 3LT seats in our 2006 and then 2009. Especially, I liked the two lumbar adjustments.
Yupper, I wholeheartedly agree... My 08 seats suck compared to my 99 sprot seats.. Most car magazines agree on this also. Not that they're right about everything but I agree with them on this..
Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Seats are good

For the life of me, I really do not get every frickin car mag bitchin about the seats in the C6. I have owned many, many nice cars. Lexus, BMW, Mustang, 4 different Vettes, yes I am old, 52, and I have zero problems with my 08 coupe and it's seats. Maybe it is because a am a tough old bird and do not whine. Drove it from Bowling Green to CA and was never beat up of had any issues with my back.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:58 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
For the life of me, I really do not get every frickin car mag bitchin about the seats in the C6. I have owned many, many nice cars. Lexus, BMW, Mustang, 4 different Vettes, yes I am old, 52, and I have zero problems with my 08 coupe and it's seats. Maybe it is because a am a tough old bird and do not whine. Drove it from Bowling Green to CA and was never beat up of had any issues with my back.
Again, I have never seen a magazine complain abuot the seats on the aspect of comfort. They are talking about how bad they are in terms of being a "sports car seat".

If you have ever sat in a viper, porsche, or even a solstice/sky you'd quickly see how lacking our seats are in the performance department.

They are comfortable seats, but GM needs to have an option for a sport seat.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM
C6Buddy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny. I thought the sport seats in my 00 were terrible. Most uncomfortable seats of any car I have ever owned. The C6 was a big improvement.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 PM
calvie018
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I think if Corvette was truly made to compete on "road courses" they would come standard with 'racing inspired' seats and 5/6-point restraints. Considering the more mature Corvette demographics, cost factors and that the vast majority of Corvettes will never see a road course is why we have the seats we do....it's always a compromise. Sure, GM could improve the seats but at a cost...monetary and otherwise. Many C6 owners have trouble as it is getting in and out of their car (having to slide-down into the seat or grab onto to something to pull themselves out). I think we'd see howls of protest if Corvette started putting 'racing' seats in the car (even seats similar to the Viper). Imagine the warranty claims for worn out side bolsters.
I understand the logic behind all this, but GM should have had an option for a sport seat.

Also, since the vast majority of Corvettes will never see a road coarse, why would they only compromise on the seats? Why not have less power...narrower tires...etc. (i hope you get where i'm going with this)
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

There are way too many factors in "seat comfort" to just read about it, or listen to opinions. My "opinion" is that my '08s seats are comfortable. And so was my '96; and so was my '93; and so was my '66. And yes, I am talking about long driving stints, the last one being about 1250 miles in 1.5 days.

OP, if you can find a dealer who will let you take a car for a weekend, or desire to rent one of the Hertz Corvettes, I think that is the only way you will determine if it's comfortable FOR YOU. Anything else, and it's just not relevant to you, is it?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:44 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Buddy
Funny. I thought the sport seats in my 00 were terrible. Most uncomfortable seats of any car I have ever owned. The C6 was a big improvement.
maybe it's my Italian A$$... Never know..
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

try it then buy it
Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
my seats are fine, and Im thankful to be an owner of a C6 as well..very thankful.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

love my seats!

Get notified of new replies

To seats not comfortable in the c6s??

Old 05-19-2010, 08:29 PM
C6Buddy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joec
maybe it's my Italian A$$... Never know..
If Italians have 165lbs asses. lol
Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I was a little surprised at the seats in my 09 when I first got it.
They didn't seem that good for the first few hundred miles.
I think most of it had to do with expecting upscale seats considering it was a Vette.
I now have almost 6,000 miles on it and have since found a good positioning of my seat, and now that they're broken in a bit....
I find them comfortable, even on long drives and can't really complain.
Could they be improved, Yes,.. are they really bad, No.
My only comment is the seats seem too narrow in the seat bottom.
I'm not a big person and I find I'm sitting on the bottom side bolsters and not just the seat bottom.
But at the same time, looking at the car and the amount of room inside, there's really not much room for wider seats.
As with anything, there could be improvment, but bottom line,..
I'm happy with the seats and find them comfortable
Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife's V6 Mustang leather seats are superb compared to my Vette's seats. They have support, are comfortable and feel much better put together than the Vette.

Quick Reply: seats not comfortable in the c6s??