C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:25 AM
okbkvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nav question

ok, i have a road trip where I'm starting here in the midwest then crossing over the Mississippi. I understand the discs get changed out. Can you just start with the "east" disc, since that is where I'm going? Or if I do, will it just not show anything West?
I guess the question is, if you are heading somewhere which is on a different disc, can you put in the address before you've crossed the Mississippi? That would seem awful dumb. I want to put in the address where I'm going at home, not 12 hours into the trip.
OR, can you put in the address,which is on the east disc, but you start off with the west, switching the disc over as you cross, and not losing your destination?

thanks all
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

If I remember reading the manual correctly, you will not be able to put in an address that is on the other disk. The manual recommended that you put an address/location along your route in an area that is overlapped on both disks. Once you are there, change out the disk and put in your final destination.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Both discs have map of the entire USA on them. The big diff is the POIs..so I think the way to do it is to put in the disc that has your destination, and then go from there....you may also be able to put it the disc that has your starting point, but I'm not sure about that. Easily tried in the driveway before you leave though....
Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

To travel to a destination that is on the DVD other than your home DVD you will need to start out by placing the other (second) DVD in the drive and changing the region to the region where the destination is located (If you are headed to California for example set the region on the West Disc to 2.)

Enter your destination and calculate the route. Now you can either leave in the other disc (easiest if you will not be stopping to eat via POI suggestion or for an overnight stay and need to find a hotel in the primary region where your home is) or put your home DVD back in if you think that you may want to stop using information contained on the DVD for the region that you want to live in.

The DVD's both contain the major highway network across the country (lower 48) and Canada. Both will be able to route you from point A to point B even as it spans regions. Where the DVD's differ is in "detailed city areas" and Point of Interest data. In so much as you won't find a point of interest destination choice for Disney Land on the East disc much like you wouldn't find a POI for Walt Disney World on the West Disc but both will likely have Buena Vista Boulevard in Orlando.

Once you have entered this new destination it will be saved by default in your Previous Destination choices from the Enter Destination menu of the nav. Worth noting also that now that it is saved on that menu (or if you chose to save it as a stored memory location) you can always go back to choose it as a destination regardless of what disc you have in the drive. Meaning that if you live in the east, select a destination using the first paragraph instructions above by putting in the West disc and decide to swap back to the East disc for the start of your trip. With the East disc in the drive you will be able to select your destination from the previous destination menu and plot a route to it without ever changing discs back to the west disc.

Also, swapping discs in the middle of a trip has no impact on your route, your chosen destination or any of your stored information. It will come back up with your route still active and your position still marked on the map (where ever you are).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Paul

Last edited by talon90; 05-05-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Another big for Paul!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:29 AM
okbkvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim