C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is experience with Cow tunes & warr. voiding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is experience with Cow tunes & warr. voiding?

Seems that a lot of Forum members have COW tunes and really like them. Would like to hear from this crowd.

Where I'm getting confused, is if the tune can be erased b4 it goes back to the dealer, if there is a problem to be fixed?

I have no knowledge of how these 'tunes' are implemented. Does a speed shop do it, or what? And, take a Chuck Cow tune,...can the 'mechanic' installing the tune mess it up?

I've read a few threads on this, but am still confused.

Are Cow's tunes less risky than some others, or are they all kind of the same, in terms of screwing up the car and or warranty?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:20 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm looking for a solution to the lag in response I get on my automatic equipped 08 when I push on the pedal, and I'm wondering if the Chuck Cow Tune will fix this. The car has a bad hesitation in it for over a second after you push on the pedal. I don't know if the transmission or drive by wire throttle is to blame, but when you push down on the pedal suddenly, there is long delay before the car responds. It feels to me like it is because of the drive by wire computer lag, but it might also be partly to blame on the auto-trans. It makes the car handle unpredictably and I'm desperately looking for a resolution. It almost feels like the engine has died for a moment when you stomp on the gas. The engine runs fine in every other way and has no problems, just a terrible "computer lag" in response.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a tune is worth the money and improvements in the A6. better shifting, better MPG, better feel all around.

That being said GM is getting tougher each day. Most dealers wont care if there is a tune but if a major repair is needed GM will ask for the computer to be sent in for analysis. They will find any modification to the computer and deny the claim.

Ive visited with a dealer owner who told me all this. he also said its not the vette guys who caused this it is the diesel guys, and GM had to do a blanket policy.

That being said my last 08 vette was tuned and I loved it

my new to me 08 is not and I will leave it that way for a little while longer.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I'm looking for a solution to the lag in response I get on my automatic equipped 08 when I push on the pedal, and I'm wondering if the Chuck Cow Tune will fix this. The car has a bad hesitation in it for over a second after you push on the pedal. I don't know if the transmission or drive by wire throttle is to blame, but when you push down on the pedal suddenly, there is long delay before the car responds. It feels to me like it is because of the drive by wire computer lag, but it might also be partly to blame on the auto-trans. It makes the car handle unpredictably and I'm desperately looking for a resolution. It almost feels like the engine has died for a moment when you stomp on the gas. The engine runs fine in every other way and has no problems, just a terrible "computer lag" in response.
I have an 07 and have a bit of the same problem you're talking about. Don't want to void the warranty, and am wondering how many members that have 'tuned' their vette, have ended up having a major repair, which as beav626 says, would cause GM to analyze the computer?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:10 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by chgoblue
I have an 07 and have a bit of the same problem you're talking about. Don't want to void the warranty, and am wondering how many members that have 'tuned' their vette, have ended up having a major repair, which as beav626 says, would cause GM to analyze the computer?
What really is needed is something like the old HyperTech programmer that was available for the LT1's that would let you load in a new program and then would save the original stock program, and you could simply plug it back in and re-load the original if you ever needed to.

I would liken this experience to pulling the trigger on a gun, and then having it actually go off 1 or 2 seconds later. You anticipate the reaction that doesn't seem to happen, and then just as you start to lower the gun and are wondering if you have a dead round chambered, BANG, you shoot yourself in the foot.

Last edited by CSixDude; 05-03-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

What really is needed is something like the old HyperTech programmer that was available for the LT1's that would let you load in a new program and then would save the original stock program, and you could simply plug it back in and re-load the original if you ever needed to.
you can still put the stock tune back in but GM will catch it
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by beav626
Oh, really! I didn't know that. I assumed when you reloaded the stock program they wouldn't be able to tell.

If that's the case, then warranty be damned. I can't stand driving a car that responds as unpredictably as this one does. I'd rather have a car that drives right than a warranty. Most things get denied under warranty claims anyway as either "normal wear" or "owner abuse", and I'm convinced most warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Last edited by CSixDude; 05-03-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

I agree on the warranty not being worth much. Ive seen some stupid warranty denials here on the forum.

One thing you might consider there is a software update for the 06-07 A6's through the dealer. I would call the dealer first with your Vin and see if you get the upgrade.

if no then get that bad boy tuned-you will be very happy.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

It would be nice if our tuners would warrant failures if GM does not. That way everyone knows the ground rules.

Tom
Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

I agree on the warranty not being worth much. Ive seen some stupid warranty denials here on the forum.

One thing you might consider there is a software update for the 06-07 A6's through the dealer. I would call the dealer first with your Vin and see if you get the upgrade.

if no then get that bad boy tuned-you will be very happy.
Good info.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
It would be nice if our tuners would warrant failures if GM does not. That way everyone knows the ground rules.

Tom
Sadly, that's NEVER going to happen...........
Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Most things get denied under warranty claims anyway as either "normal wear" or "owner abuse", and I'm convinced most warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
That hasn't been my experience, Fred.

The local Chevy dealer honored the extended warranty I just bought from Fitchner GMPP, no questions asked, when I brought it in for a $600 gearshift module replacement. And, again, when it loosened up a few weeks later.

I had very good experience with the '91 Vette I had for 12 years/103k miles.

I've used an extended warranty for a few expensive repairs on my Ford Escape, no questions or hassles.

So, I think the extended warranties are worth every penny. That being said, I understand where you're coming from, but there is a real trade-off, and it would be great if GM could provide some more specific clarification, since it sounds like some mods are safer than others, like the Cow tune...it sounds like one of the safer ones.

But, GM has to see it that way, and put their dealers on the same page. Complex, so it would be hard to do, but it sure would be nice.

I read in another thread where Chuck Cow had offered someone's friend to try his tune before they bought it. But, the guy came back and said 'no' because he was concerned once done, it would have voided the warranty.

The notable part of it, was that Chuck didn't come back and say, "No, it won't", so he's not providing any information to the contrary, as good and safe as his tunes may be.

Very frustrating because it sounds like it really enhances the performance, and GM should be all about that.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 PM
classicfit
Instructor

Originally Posted by chgoblue
Seems that a lot of Forum members have COW tunes and really like them. Would like to hear from this crowd.

Where I'm getting confused, is if the tune can be erased b4 it goes back to the dealer, if there is a problem to be fixed?

I have no knowledge of how these 'tunes' are implemented. Does a speed shop do it, or what? And, take a Chuck Cow tune,...can the 'mechanic' installing the tune mess it up?

I've read a few threads on this, but am still confused.

Are Cow's tunes less risky than some others, or are they all kind of the same, in terms of screwing up the car and or warranty?
My '06 got a COW tune at about 7500 miles. It now has about 35,000 trouble free miles. Notwithstanding the improvements in acceleration and throttle response, the best thing about the COW tune is the change to the tranny shifting characteristics. On normal acceleration in S mode, it still shifts relatively lazily (normally), but on hard acceleration it snaps off paddle shifts virtually instantaneously. You can't beat the turnaround time either- just send your computer module, which is pretty easy to remove and reinstall, to Chuck in accordance with his recommendations, and you will get it back with the tune in a few days, along with your 160-degree thermostat.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Sorry man... This is totally untrue.

Sorry man... This is totally untrue.

The ONLY vehicle where this holds true is in the late 08 LMM DURAMAX DIESEL.

That particular Diesel pcm records CVNs for something like 10 or so successive flashes So they can see a paper trail of what tunes have been flashed.

The Corvettes and other vehicles do not have that feature, so you're safe.

Restoring the tune to stock prevents them from ever knowing.

Stay TUNED!
Chuck CoW
Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 PM
chuckhill2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

The ONLY vehicle where this holds true is in the late 08 LMM DURAMAX DIESEL.

That particular Diesel pcm records CVNs for something like 10 or so successive flashes So they can see a paper trail of what tunes have been flashed.

The Corvettes and other vehicles do not have that feature, so you're safe.

Restoring the tune to stock prevents them from ever knowing.

Stay TUNED!
Chuck CoW

So dose this mean anytime you take your car in for warranty work you would have to get the stock tune back? I just bought 09 and have seen both the throttle and tranny slowness.

Thanks Chuck
Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Glen220
Racer

Quote:

I don't personally know enough to argue, but I will repeat what my Corvette Technician told me. At any point the tune is changed it makes a "note" in the sequence of events in the directory of the computer. The technician/GM can easily see whenever a change was made and if it doesn't match with any GM dealership changes (changes made when you took it to a dealership for authorized work) then it points to a aftermarket adjustment and they will deny a warranty if it is related to a tune.

I tend to believe it as with a home computer any changes made are noted in the computer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Glen

Get notified of new replies

To What is experience with Cow tunes & warr. voiding?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE

Tom
It would be nice if Shania Twain would let me have sex with her everytime a Vette was tuned...Just sayin.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen220
Quote:

I don't personally know enough to argue, but I will repeat what my Corvette Technician told me. At any point the tune is changed it makes a "note" in the sequence of events in the directory of the computer. The technician/GM can easily see whenever a change was made and if it doesn't match with any GM dealership changes (changes made when you took it to a dealership for authorized work) then it points to a aftermarket adjustment and they will deny a warranty if it is related to a tune.

I tend to believe it as with a home computer any changes made are noted in the computer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Glen

I remember seeing a detailed GM bulletin spelling out how to check for this.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen220
Quote:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Glen

Corvette technician=oxymoron.

Quick Reply: What is experience with Cow tunes & warr. voiding?