C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost lost control of my C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Almost lost control of my C6 Corvette

Last Sunday I was at a Poker Run in West Chester,PA. While there the Service Active Handling message came on. After A while it went out. On the way home on the PA Turnpike,with the cruise control on, the car swerved to the right in the right lane. I almost lost control of it. That was a scary feeling. There is a bulletin on the message coming on, but is not covered under warranty. This situation could cause big trouble. This is a big saftey problem. So much for all the bugs in the 05 C6 Corvette's.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:55 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Do you telescope the wheel alot or not?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:06 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

GM really should recall and inspect/fix/replace the connectors for the steering wheel position sensor on every C6 made. They are going to find themselves in a situation just like Toyota is in if they don't do the right thing, and fast. It's only a matter or time before someone gets hurt or killed due to this problem.

You need to go to the NHTSA site and report this incident.

Complete a formal complaint form here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

The Sticky Thread is located here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...er-action.html

I recommend any one with any concern with their Electronic Stability Control (Traction Control / Active Handling) system contact the Office of Defect and Investigation (ODI) both informally through the contact link and formally with an official reporting link. Also, for those that have not yet had an issue, but still drive a 2005-2008 model year; it may be in your future interest to also send a letter of concern to the ODI.

Here is the OFFICIAL report the ODI currently is operating with:
http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...9002-32761.pdf

As you can see they have only a few limited reports of this incident when this forum alone has twice as many. If this is a systemic engineer problem the number of incidents will only increase as our cars age and wear.

Please be sure to address your concerns to the Engineer currently working on the case, Stephen McHenry stephen.mchenry@dot.gov (202) 366-4883 and the Office Director, Kathleen C DeMeter kathleen.demeter@dot.gov.

Use this form to contact ODI:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/contact.cfm
Please be sure to include the current investigation number EA09-002

Last edited by CSixDude; 04-23-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
thenorthwoods
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How about a poll for a total number of this issue.

Why don't we have a poll to collect the total number of members with this issue and send that information to the investigator.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There's a Sticky on the C6 Tech/Performance Forum for registering as part of a NHTSA Consumer Action on the subject.

Until you can get this fixed, usually for less than $100 if it's just the connector, turn off AH/TC when you start up and that will keep the car from trying to correct what it thinks is a problem. Of course you will have to drive with a little more expertise, but at least you won't have the car trying to put you in the ditch.

Fortunately in my case I just got the DIC warnings with no intervention.

I agree this is a very serious issue and I think GM should have performed a Recall to address this.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 1LT- I don't think those have a telescoping steering wheel...still a possible issue?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by mike100
I have a 1LT- I don't think those have a telescoping steering wheel...still a possible issue?
Not as common, based on Forum posts, but yes it's still a possibility.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Deleted

Last edited by CSixDude; 04-24-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 PM
gmr2010
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mike100
I have had a 08 1LT MZ6 bone stock for a little over a month now. A couple of weeks ago on a smooth road, I redlined 3rd and banged it into 4th (no power shift). I look down at the speedo expecting low 100s mph. What do I see? 0 mph. Then the Service Traction Control System message flashes on the DIC. The speedo returns to normal and the Traction Control System OFF on the DIC. Thankfully, no loss of control.

I haven't replicated it but, I've only redlined her once since then.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
GM really should recall and inspect/fix/replace the connectors for the steering wheel position sensor on every C6 made. They are going to find themselves in a situation just like Toyota is in if they don't do the right thing, and fast. It's only a matter or time before someone gets hurt or killed due to this problem.

You need to go to the NHTSA site and report this incident.

The Sticky Thread is located here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...er-action.html
Report it ASAP. This must be done to protect all C6 owners.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Originally Posted by gmr2010
I have had a 08 1LT MZ6 bone stock for a little over a month now. A couple of weeks ago on a smooth road, I redlined 3rd and banged it into 4th (no power shift). I look down at the speedo expecting low 100s mph. What do I see? 0 mph. Then the Service Traction Control System message flashes on the DIC. The speedo returns to normal and the Traction Control System OFF on the DIC. Thankfully, no loss of control.

I haven't replicated it but, I've only redlined her once since then.
Why would you think that would cause a loss of control? When the system turns itself off due to a failure or you turn it off it can't do anything.

Bill
Old 04-24-2010, 02:09 AM
gmr2010
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why would you think that would cause a loss of control? When the system turns itself off due to a failure or you turn it off it can't do anything.

Bill
Yes, I wouldn't expect any loss of control. The OP said that he almost lost control and the car swerved on its own. I just wanted to say no such thing happened to me

Last edited by gmr2010; 04-24-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 AM
NJ Vette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the nanny "off", the car wouldn't "lose it" or swerve by itself....

More so, I would think that since most people drive with the nannies "on", driving with them "off" delivers quite a different driving experience.... Especially, if you don't notice the nanny turning off by itself.....
Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by sscamaro
Last Sunday I was at a Poker Run in West Chester,PA. While there the Service Active Handling message came on. After A while it went out. On the way home on the PA Turnpike,with the cruise control on, the car swerved to the right in the right lane. I almost lost control of it. That was a scary feeling. There is a bulletin on the message coming on, but is not covered under warranty. This situation could cause big trouble. This is a big saftey problem. So much for all the bugs in the 05 C6 Corvette's.

Hello,

I do apologize for the problem you are experiencing with your vehicle. I really suggest you take it in to the dealership to have it checked out. I have seen other posts similar to this and there has been a recall issued, just yesterday, regarding the Service Active Handling message. I can't say that your vehicle is involved. If you would like me to check, please send me, in a private message, your full name, vin number, and either your telephone number or email address. I will be happy to check on this for you. Again, I do apologize for the problems you are experiencing.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 04-24-2010, 12:21 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
there has been a recall issued, just yesterday, regarding the Service Active Handling message.

Geoff Allen
Geoff,

Can you post a copy of that recall or TSB, whatever it is? TIA
Old 04-24-2010, 12:47 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello,

I do apologize for the problem you are experiencing with your vehicle. I really suggest you take it in to the dealership to have it checked out. I have seen other posts similar to this and there has been a recall issued, just yesterday, regarding the Service Active Handling message. I can't say that your vehicle is involved. If you would like me to check, please send me, in a private message, your full name, vin number, and either your telephone number or email address. I will be happy to check on this for you. Again, I do apologize for the problems you are experiencing.

Geoff Allen
That is good news. I'll retract my earlier comment. Glad to see GM taking action on this.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:57 PM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Fred H.
That is good news. I'll retract my earlier comment. Glad to see GM taking action on this.
I second that. Thanks Geoff. Message sent.

Get notified of new replies

To Almost lost control of my C6 Corvette

Old 04-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by RicK T
Geoff,

Can you post a copy of that recall or TSB, whatever it is? TIA
Hello,

Unfortunately, at this time, I am not authorized to post the bulletin. However, I will be more than happy to assist anyone with any questions or concerns. Please send me a private message if I can help out.

Geoff Allen
Old 04-24-2010, 02:24 PM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would this recall not be listed anywhere online? GM's site has no mention of it. Something seems very fishy here.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by stic5
Why would this recall not be listed anywhere online? GM's site has no mention of it. Something seems very fishy here.
Hello,

This recall was just issued yesterday. I am sure there will be more information available on this in time. If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to try to address them. Just send me a private message.

Geoff Allen

Quick Reply: Almost lost control of my C6 Corvette