C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How have you been screwed with while driving..or not?
I have never been screwed with in my C6
19.18%
I've been tailgated because I'm in a C6
43.84%
I've been parked on top of because of...but not dinged
21.23%
I've been taunted to race by punks in a lesser car
61.64%
Other. Mooned, etc, maybe get some stories here
5.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Been screwed with while driving our Vettes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:10 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: Been screwed with while driving our Vettes?

WHILE MINDING OUR OWN BUSINESS?

This included being tailgated, parked on top of in an empty parking lot, egged on to race, etc.

Here's what I don't get:

I've been driving a Vette as a DD for 23 years now, and I swear that in all that time, I've rarely been screwed with as much as I have in my C6 during the last 2 months since I got.

Is this my imagination, or what?

Last edited by chgoblue; 04-20-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Tailgaters happen no matter what you drive. If your car is even a little sporty people will try to get you to race. It is best to ignore both. No one will push me faster than I want to go or make me move over if I want to go faster but can't. If anything I'll slow down or tap the brakes a few times.

Nothing you can do about parking lots. Although if I have a choice to park next to a junker, big pickup or a real nice car, the real nice car will have a neighbor.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Sorry, I do mean, when you feel that it wouldn't have happened IF YOU WEREN'T IN A VETTE.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep lots of peeps tried to race me. Some I ignore, some I beat, and some (steet bikes) I got smoked.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

It seems everyone with a fartpipe wants to race my Vette, especially when they figure out "It's one of them there Z06's"...

I just mosey along at my own pace (slow) with a smile...

Old 04-20-2010, 07:14 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Had my C6 about two months. So far I have noticed the following:

-Every kid in a with a coffee can makes stupid moves on the highway to get near me, but then does nothing to even hint at wanting to race once they get there.

-Mustang drivers seem to take drastic measures like jumping out of the left lane at 80 to go to the far right lane at 65 to be nowhere near me and avoid any potential test of speed between the two vehicles.

-I have almost caused several accidents in traffic when the driver next to me is rolling, looking at my car and nearly hits the back of the car ahead.

-The cars I encounter that would be worth playing with are few & far between...and even they seem to mellow out once they notice me coming and want none of it.

-For some strange reason though, every Dodge pickup that is anywhere near me feels the need to stomp it and show how loud and fast the truck is.

-I seem to end up first at every light, with a dump truck and a hyundai elantra next to me
Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

The other week I was in some heavy traffic and I see this truck weaving though it coming up behind me. When he caught up he just stayed right behind me and followed for awhile. When stopped at a light he pulled up in the left turning lane and said he followed me because he liked the sound of the exhaust so much.

Or this other time in some slow traffic this old woman was tailgating me real bad to the point I was started to get concerned. So I slowed down to let the car ahead of me pull ahead and give me some room. Then went full throttle spinning the tires and making a tremendous amount of noise. She stayed way back after that.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I've had a few of those coffee can muffler cars come close and make noise.
But as far as the weavers and tailgaters, it doesn't matter what I'm driving, they're everywhere and drive like total Idiots
Especially those doing 100 MPH with no place to pass and pull right up behind within 2 inches before hitting the brakes
Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Originally Posted by MARSC6

Or this other time in some slow traffic this old woman was tailgating me real bad to the point I was started to get concerned. So I slowed down to let the car ahead of me pull ahead and give me some room. Then went full throttle spinning the tires and making a tremendous amount of noise. She stayed way back after that.
Ahhhh indeed...the time tested, always effective 'I am insane...give me a wide berth' technique!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

It seems that every time I take out my vette, I attract all the A@#**LES, tailgaiting, flashing their highbeams, cutting me off. The days I take out my other toy, a 1952 Chevy Stylene Deluxe Hardtop, with my kids, I drive the same way and it seems that no one plays games while Im driving. So YES, the Vette is maybe a babe magnet but it is an A****LE magnet for sure
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I really have noticed is that drivers behave very differently based on the size of the vehicle.

For example, nobody f's with me whilst driving my 02 Super Duty. But if I get down into my Ranger, I get the exact opposite and people walk all over me. I suspect it would be worse in a Vette because of plain jealousy and the sporting nature of the beast.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the following take place,

tailgated, flipped off, sworn at for no reason, egged on to race, pretty much covers it. U guess they must be jealous, the vete brings that out in people.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dif
I've had a few of those coffee can muffler cars come close and make noise.
But as far as the weavers and tailgaters, it doesn't matter what I'm driving, they're everywhere and drive like total Idiots
Especially those doing 100 MPH with no place to pass and pull right up behind within 2 inches before hitting the brakes
And, I thought this was more of a California thing. Didn't happen as much in Chicago,...well the burbs at least. My theory was that since it doesn't snow or rain a bunch out here, people are just more comfortable following too close. Guess not.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Cruise-In 8, 9 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by chgoblue
And, I thought this was more of a California thing. Didn't happen as much in Chicago,...well the burbs at least. My theory was that since it doesn't snow or rain a bunch out here, people are just more comfortable following too close. Guess not.
Happens to me all the time in the Chicago suburbs. I travel all around the country for work and have a hard time finding a place with drivers as bad and as discourteous as they are here.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

I just added up the % poll results and it comes out to 143%!!! What's going on with the CF math??

Last edited by chgoblue; 04-20-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,076 Likes on 533 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

this is the part of my vert they get to see.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

About 3 hours ago. I was first in line at a red light, and some gangbangers went by from my left to right. The passenger was hanging out the window yelling "Four Two Ohhh"! I don't have any idea what it means, I'm going to look it up in the urban dictionary.

Edit: It either means it's time to get high, or it's the code for a homicide for the LVPD. Of course, he could also have been making sure I knew what the date was.

Last edited by Vettin08; 04-20-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To POLL: Been screwed with while driving our Vettes?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I think the recent increase in all of the on-road BS the OP is seeing is partly a reflection of the current economic times.

The fact is the Corvette represents a level of success that is getting farther out of reach for an increasing number of people, and they are just pi$$ed about it.

Having other drivers displaying their frustration and/or envy is a curse associated with driving any 'well-above average' sports car. The Corvette certainly qualifies.

And if that wasn't enough, there are a lot of stupid/inept/self-absorbed/borderline comatose drivers out there.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
jonsheritage04
4th Gear

My favorite is the soccer moms sporting the Dale Jr. sticker on the back window wanting to race on the interstate.

But then I look again and it's the soccer moms dude driving the van.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Messin' with the best

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
I think the recent increase in all of the on-road BS the OP is seeing is partly a reflection of the current economic times.

The fact is the Corvette represents a level of success that is getting farther out of reach for an increasing number of people, and they are just pi$$ed about it.

Having other drivers displaying their frustration and/or envy is a curse associated with driving any 'well-above average' sports car. The Corvette certainly qualifies.

And if that wasn't enough, there are a lot of stupid/inept/self-absorbed/borderline comatose drivers out there.

The only prob I've had happen various times is 20sumthing guys driving jeeps, especially when they're jacked-up with axle blocks. I suppose they feel that they can intimidate you with the specter of climbing over you like the TV commercials imply.

Quick Reply: POLL: Been screwed with while driving our Vettes?