C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions: My 06 coupe got flooded

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:08 AM
SpeedE55
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Opinions: My 06 coupe got flooded

**EDIT ON THE TITLE-THIS IS AN 09 COUPE, NOT AN 06!**

I thought I would run this by everyone and see what the consensus is here. Monday AM we had some heavy rains here and on the way to work, got stuck in a pretty deep puddle. It didn't look deep judging by the other cars that were going through it, but when I got into the right lane to make a turn, it got REAL deep. First, I heard this clunking sound and the engine shut off. I had the radio and a/c on, and then I heard like this moaning noise coming from behind the dash somewhere. Radio stopped working. As I was calling for help, water started coming in under the door seals and next thing I knew, the water was over the seat bottoms to just below the top of the console. Doors, hatch, etc stopped working, but the cluster still lit up. It sat in the water for about an hour until a tow truck could get there. It was towed to a body shop on Monday where it sat yesterday, and today they're going to strip the interior. My question is, is this car salvagable? The ins adjuster seems like he's talking about fixing the car, and I think it might just be nothing but a headache if it is. Thoughts?

Last edited by SpeedE55; 04-14-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow! I am not sure how insurance works with flooding, but usually if the damage does not exceed x% on the value of the car they fix it. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:25 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you hydrolocked the motor, the motor is gone. This means water is pulled into the pistons, it is not compressible, and could result in bent valves, or even worse.

If the water got to the seat bottoms, I would thing the electronic controls behind the front tire, behind passenger kick pad, and under the seats, and possibly he ones behind the dash all took on water. And are probably dead.

I don't know if the water reached the vents for the tranny and rear end, but if so, these also took water. And will probably rust unless totally torn down.

I would hope for good insurance and totaling this car.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:21 AM
C6GS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bolivar
If you hydrolocked the motor, the motor is gone. This means water is pulled into the pistons, it is not compressible, and could result in bent valves, or even worse.

If the water got to the seat bottoms, I would thing the electronic controls behind the front tire, behind passenger kick pad, and under the seats, and possibly he ones behind the dash all took on water. And are probably dead.

I don't know if the water reached the vents for the tranny and rear end, but if so, these also took water. And will probably rust unless totally torn down.

I would hope for good insurance and totaling this car.
Having been a service manager for 25 years, if the insurance company does not total the car, you are in for more problems than you can imagine.
We had a Riviera that took on the about the same amount of water. The insurance company did not total it at the time, but wished they had. Problems mounted after the car dryed out. Had to replace all the computers, electronic dash, seat belt retractors, carpeting and padding, etc and this one was not running when the water came up. It was never right. Good Luck
Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by SpeedE55
the water was over the seat bottoms to just below the top of the console.
I would try for a total. If the water reached this level, it probably got some computers. If it did hydro-lock, they will surely total it.
Good luck man, I feel for you.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Should be a total. This is what you should demand.

Problem is, even if it is totaled these cars have a way of showing
up on some used car lot. Some unsuspecting buyer.. well you know the story.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Ouch.. sorry to hear this about your baby..
Hopefully you get it worked out to your satisfaction.. Good luck..
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Rajd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, fight for the full amount
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

My opinion is it should be totaled, if not and they insist on it being repaired I think you are looking at nothing but problems with it in the future.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM
SpeedE55
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvilin
My opinion is it should be totaled, if not and they insist on it being repaired I think you are looking at nothing but problems with it in the future.
That's what I was thinking before I spoke with the adjuster, and after talking to him, I was wondering if I was the crazy one.....
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The corvette is a low CG car- everything important(mechanical and electrical) is at console level in these cars. you're roof panel and onstar mirror might still be ok- that's about it though.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 AM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by c1vettes
Should be a total. This is what you should demand.

Problem is, even if it is totaled these cars have a way of showing
up on some used car lot. Some unsuspecting buyer.. well you know the story.
I can see it now... beautiful 2009 corvette for sale, never seen rain. Come test drive it today.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 AM
SpeedE55
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RICH 28
I can see it now... beautiful 2009 corvette for sale, never seen rain. Come test drive it today.
Don't forget.... "low miles"...it has 9600 on it
Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mike100
The corvette is a low CG car- everything important(mechanical and electrical) is at console level in these cars. you're roof panel and onstar mirror might still be ok- that's about it though.

If the insurance company is serious about not totaling it, they don't know what they are doing or are planning to screw you by doing a quick fix on the obvious items, then denying the many thousands of dollars in other stuff that will show up in the next year.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

total. sorry to say tho, you are going to pay dearly for this one. an '06 coupe even with full compensation is going to take major dollars to get you into an '09 coupe. and you know that.

I'd think in this case it doesn't matter if you had a close to the ground CAI or not if you were submerged up to almost the top of the console.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 AM
SpeedE55
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AORoads
total. sorry to say tho, you are going to pay dearly for this one. an '06 coupe even with full compensation is going to take major dollars to get you into an '09 coupe. and you know that.

I'd think in this case it doesn't matter if you had a close to the ground CAI or not if you were submerged up to almost the top of the console.
My mistake. I got C6 and 09 combined. Duh. I have an 09 coupe, not an 06
Old 04-14-2010, 11:24 AM
VMUZZO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Push for a total. Car then will be sold at auction with a salvage title.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions: My 06 coupe got flooded

Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sorry about the damage to your car. It sounds like a total loss to me. Good luck with the insurance company.

Originally Posted by AORoads

Whether its an 06 or an 09 chances are he'll still be out of pocket to some extent. If the car is considered a total loss the insurance company will most certainly pay its actual cash value...its depreciated value. They're not responsible to upgrade the policy holder into a new car. You're also right about the intake. The owner's manual cautions against driving through deep-standing water even with the stock intake. This wasn't driving through a deep puddle...it was a submersion to periscope depth.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Sorry, you are in for a lot of hassel from your insurance company.

With the air intake so low on the Vette it's almost certain it pulled water into the engine. If it was just at idle maybe it just shut down and didn't damage the engine, but you won't know till they try and start it.

You may need to retain a lawyer to negotiate your claim.
LJ
Old 04-14-2010, 11:50 AM
SpeedE55
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I'm sorry about the damage to your car. It sounds like a total loss to me. Good luck with the insurance company.

Whether its an 06 or an 09 chances are he'll still be out of pocket to some extent. If the car is considered a total loss the insurance company will most certainly pay its actual cash value...its depreciated value. They're not responsible to upgrade the policy holder into a new car.
If they total it, I should only be out of pocket my $250 deductible. It is a leased car, and I have gap coverage. Otherwise, I'd say you're dead on. Years ago, I bought an '85 Trans Am new, had it 3 weeks, and it got totalled (not my fault). I hadn't made the first payment on it yet, but still lost my $3K down payment. Insurance only covered the loss itself to the bank.

Quick Reply: Opinions: My 06 coupe got flooded