C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Question - Base Coupe or Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:28 PM
steveb2954
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie Question - Base Coupe or Grand Sport?

Hi everyone. I'm new here and about to buy my 1st new Corvette. I have no interest in racing or driving the car hard. I just love the car and have always wanted one, and now I can finally afford one.

My question is base coupe or Grand Sport coupe? I love the way the Grand Sport looks, but will the ride be harsh when compared to the base coupe with Magnetic Selective Ride Control? Will selecting the GS mean sacrificing some comfort, or a lot of comfort?

And one more question: Are the chrome wheels really worth getting? What do you think about the stock wheels?

Thanks for your help. Steve
Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by steveb2954
Hi everyone. I'm new here and about to buy my 1st new Corvette. I have no interest in racing or driving the car hard. I just love the car and have always wanted one, and now I can finally afford one.

My question is base coupe or Grand Sport coupe? I love the way the Grand Sport looks, but will the ride be harsh when compared to the base coupe with Magnetic Selective Ride Control? Will selecting the GS mean sacrificing some comfort, or a lot of comfort?

And one more question: Are the chrome wheels really worth getting? What do you think about the stock wheels?

This thread is gonna be VERY interesting to read....

IMO, if you don't drive the car hard or race, there is very little to be gained by going for the more expensive Grand Sport, you'll be really wasting the added performance. By your own words you won't even drive the car hard.

F55 is the most comfortable suspension choice, it'll give you a "sports option" if you want to drive a bit more aggressively. From what I've read the GS rides nearly the same as a Z06, so yes it'll be easily noticeable the harshness between the mag suspension and the GS.

Chrome wheels is all up to you, some people like them, some don't.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

If you want a fun car that can also be comfortable for trips or just regular driving, you can't beat the F55. My car has it and we love it but I don't race or really drive very hard. Sport mode is firm enough for me. If you got the F55 and wanted firmer handling it's as easy as adding Z51 sway bars.

Stay tuned right here starting April 29. We'll have several members reporting from the Bash in Bowling Green and giving us all the "new" news for the 2011 models coming up. Maybe, really just maybe, GM will do away with the "base narrow body" and everything will have the wide body. Then your decision may be a little easier.

Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!!! Enjoy.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Short answer: GRAN SPORT!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO

IMO, if you don't drive the car hard or race, there is very little to be gained by going for the more expensive Grand Sport, you'll be really wasting the added performance. By your own words you won't even drive the car hard.

F55 is the most comfortable suspension choice, it'll give you a "sports option" if you want to drive a bit more aggressively. From what I've read the GS rides nearly the same as a Z06, so yes it'll be easily noticeable the harshness between the mag suspension and the GS.

with everything he just said. But I would like to add one thing, take a look at Competition Grey wheels. I ordered them and found I really liked them after I got the car.

Also, order your Vette from one of the Forum sponsored dealers, they give great deals and they will drop ship to your nearest dealer if you don't want to pick it up yourself.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Restroom
Instructor

Don't take our word for it.
Get in a base coupe and drive it. Get in a GS and drive it the same way.
Is one more comfy than the other? Is the Z06 bodykit cool enough to you to justify the price difference? The GS has the same powertrain (we won't mention the lubrication since you won't be racing) as the base coupe and weighs a bit more.

The Z06 is the one I think you meant to compare a base coupe to. It's a different car on a lot of performance levels, and costs quite a bit more. While I'm sure Z06es can be comfortable, I'm willing to bet that you don't want to have to row your own gears every day in traffic. Neither do I. Unfortunately, you can't get an automatic Z06, so that might solve your choice problem right there.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:55 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO

I agree. The base Vette with the F55 magnetic adjustible suspension is a far superior car for driving on everyday roads compared to the G/S. Plus the wide body look of the G/S is going to look dated when the C7 Corvette comes out because it is going to be more compact (i.e. narrower) than todays standard coupe.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

On NyC streets my Z51 suspension is a little more rougher than the base suspension I had, on the highway I simply love the Z51 suspension, car does not ride rough. I have not driven a GS yet, they who have do compare it to the Z51. I did drive a 2007 Z06 and on the highway and it was fine for a long trip. Yes I will be getting a GS soon.
If you like the look of the GS go for it. Good Luck.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Base coupe is the best value. GS is more set up for the track. Costs a bit more too. If you got the bucks get which ever you like after a drive. Nothing wrong with the base model it really is not that striped. Has everything I want except maybe the perforated seats. For me the less gizmos the better. If you can live without the GS save the bucks.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
hules98
Instructor

i think he knows the differance between a base and gs for me its all about money just get what you can afford you will be happy with either one good luck

Originally Posted by Restroom
Don't take our word for it.
Get in a base coupe and drive it. Get in a GS and drive it the same way.
Is one more comfy than the other? Is the Z06 bodykit cool enough to you to justify the price difference? The GS has the same powertrain (we won't mention the lubrication since you won't be racing) as the base coupe and weighs a bit more.

The Z06 is the one I think you meant to compare a base coupe to. It's a different car on a lot of performance levels, and costs quite a bit more. While I'm sure Z06es can be comfortable, I'm willing to bet that you don't want to have to row your own gears every day in traffic. Neither do I. Unfortunately, you can't get an automatic Z06, so that might solve your choice problem right there.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I faced the same question last August. As much as I liked the wide body I finally decided to get the F55 suspension with the NPP exhaust and I couldn't be happier.

I have also added Z51 sway bars so I can have a pretty spirited drive or a more comfortable drive in the touring mode.

I'm in the process of modding the car (wide booty, hood, new front bumper) to get the "LOOK" I want as well.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by steveb2954

I'm on my 5th Vette...3rd C6...and my new one is an FE-1 base coupe with 2LT interior.

I've had the Z51...it's nice...I've had a loaded Vert...but this car is a DD and my only ride. I specifically wanted a simple base coupe.

Inexpensive and fun to drive. I don't race...I don't do shows...

It's a Chebby...and I drive the crap out of it.

I took delivery on Feb. 24th this year...I have 200+ happy miles...I have NEVER washed or waxed the car. Much more enjoyable this way. garage queens are a PITA.

I'm drivin' this one...and lovin' it.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It's fairly simple; $7,000.00 more cost & wide body, less performance, more weight, more expensive wheel, brake & tire replacements = C6 GS.

The C6 Coupe will give better performance, lighter weight, a choice of suspensions and less expensive wheel,brake and tire replacements for aprx $7,000.00 less.

IMHO the GS is a Z06 wannabe without the 427 performance.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:40 PM
bps999
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The base car and stock wheels are fine. Only pay up for chrome wheels or GS if you like the look and it's definately worth the money to you. If I were buying now I wouldn't pay for either of those things.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
It's fairly simple; $7,000.00 more cost & wide body, less performance, more weight, more expensive wheel, brake & tire replacements = C6 GS.

The C6 Coupe will give better performance, lighter weight, a choice of suspensions and less expensive wheel,brake and tire replacements for aprx $7,000.00 less.

IMHO the GS is a Z06 wannabe without the 427 performance.
The GS gives you better performance, not less. If you go with the A6 transmission you get a 2.73 rear ratio vs the 2.56 in the base C6. If you go with the M6 transmission you get lower gear ratios in the transmission vs the M6 used in the base C6. Advantage.....Grand Sport.

For the twisties, the Grand Sport gives you stiffer springs, shocks and anti-roll bar vs the base C6 and the Grand Sport gives you larger brakes and wider tires for better stopping vs the base C6. Advantage....Grand Sport. While the Cd is a little higher on the grand Sport, the additional drag isn't noticeable except at very high speeds, not what you would encounter on public highways and most tracks. Some of that additional drag is from the wider tires on the Grand Sport, but the improved traction at low speeds more then compensates for the loss in top speed.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
DaveC6ZHZ
Racer

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I faced the same question last August. As much as I liked the wide body I finally decided to get the F55 suspension with the NPP exhaust and I couldn't be happier.

I have also added Z51 sway bars so I can have a pretty spirited drive or a more comfortable drive in the touring mode.

I'm in the process of modding the car (wide booty, hood, new front bumper) to get the "LOOK" I want as well.
Not trying to hijack this thread, but do you notice a discernable improvement in handling with the addition of the Z51 sway bars? I have the F55 suspension and am seriously considering upgrading to the Z51 sway bars. Thank you.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by bps999
The base car and stock wheels are fine. Only pay up for chrome wheels or GS if you like the look and it's definately worth the money to you. If I were buying now I wouldn't pay for either of those things.

my 09 has the chrome gumby's. the car had them when I found it on the dealers web site (forum dealer)

I would not have ordered a car with them.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie Question - Base Coupe or Grand Sport?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The GS is a very nice compromise with good looks and plenty of choices to suit many buyers. The same thing can be said about the coupe. When you're spending the kind of money a new vette costs, the added cost of various option can be money very well spent to tailor the car to your wants and preferences. I'd strongly recommend that you consider 3LT in either the coupe or the GS. That would be more important to me than chrome wheels, but if both are in your budget, I like chrome and so do a majority of people.

You can not duplicate what a GS brings to table for any less than the extra price charged for the GS. My viewpoint is that the GS is a bargain. I really don't think you would find it to be a harsh ride either.

Best of luck in your decision.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

For the best overall ride, F55 is hard to beat. Bigger tires also means a rougher ride and the tires probably don't last as long as the F55s if the GS' tires are Supercars. On bumpy roads, the F55 will actually perform better than GS, Z51 or Z06 suspensions.

Chrome wheels are a personal taste. If I desired to go chrome I would skip the OEMs and look at aftermarket since they are not that much more expensive for a good set of wheels.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

That's really a personal choice, but I can tell you that I have owned 14 Vettes over the years, and my 2010 GS is the best one yet (and that includes 3 other C6s, all with Z51). I find the GS hadles well and is a very comfortable ride, with impressive power. Everybody that posts to this thread will have different opinions, so let your persoanl tastes and feelings guide your decision. All I can say is my '07 Coupe was the basic model (w/Z51 and that's about it). I was somewhat disappointed in the car in that I like more options. I traded it on my GS (loaded, S/P $65K). Life is good!!!

Quick Reply: Newbie Question - Base Coupe or Grand Sport?