C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino vs....?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

As much as I hate to say it but Zaino on my Black vehicles is really impressive. Unfortunately it is way to time consuming and I just can't get the hang of it. I may try Wolfgang or Sovereign.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM
rmedina
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I started using Pinnacle Souveran a year ago and love it. It's by far the easiest to apply and remove of any wax I've ever used and the shine is great, even on Machine Silver.

Looking good brother..
Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
scoaman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Wolfgang takes less time than anything I have used. I use the flex buffer and 1/2 hour on 45 to dry 1/2 hour off work in between 12 hours no moisture after done.

Last edited by scoaman; 04-04-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by scoaman
The Wolfgang takes less time than anything I have used.
So how is the result?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Dodo Juice...good stuff.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:47 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you were smart enough to buy the best American sports car in history...... you are smart enough to apply the best polish......... zaino. come on........LOL
Old 04-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how people can say zaino is hard to apply. Claybar your car if you are starting fresh. Strip old wax with dish washing soap. Mix zaino with the bonding agent...forgot what it's called. Apply to car, wait 30 minutes and polish off with a cotton or microfiber polishing cloth. After that it's just a matter of applying and polishing off every few months.

That being said I'm always looking for a good product I can buy at the local auto store....so far I have not found anything that really works better at those stores, especially at a lower cost point per use.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 AM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
I am quite happy with Zaino. EVERYwhere I go I get comments about the shine of and the "depth" in the paint. I am asked quite often what I use.

Two pics below.

First pic at a car show...

Second pic I took after someone said to me, "wow! look at that reflection of the ZR-1's rim in your bumper!"

Great pic.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:50 AM
OZ51
Instructor

I have pretty good results with Mequiars products, but as said already, the prep makes all the difference. I strip my car 3-4 times a year (dishwashing soap and clay bar), and spend time correcting scratches, stains, chips, etc... with ScatchX2, ultimate compound and polish. The clearcoat on the vette is pretty hard and glossy so I try to keep protection to a minimum. For driving around I use spray wax (2 applications with ~30" between coats and hand buffing with clean mf). When I want the car to look real nice, mirroe glaze show car polish followed by #26 wax. This has been the least expensive, least labor intensive regimen I've found that provides reasonable results with economy of time, effort and money... equally important to me as results.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:03 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zaino seems to be somewhat Corvette specific. I don't see people going nuts about it many other places...Autopia you rarely hear the high end pro detailers going crazy over Zaino. For me, Pinnacle Souveran works great over Rejex. Always has, always will.

My hood reflection:

Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

When I first got my black C5 I started using Zaino Z5, but was disappointed that it really didn't do that great of a job at hiding the minor swirls and scratches like it claims to do. Even though I do make a habit of removing those minor imperfections with my buffer, there are always a few that don't completely disappear and I like using a wax/sealant which will help temporarily hide them.

I found Meguiar's NXT 2.0 does a great job of hiding imperfections and it also makes my black paint look darker than Zaino Z5 does. It might not have the durability of Zaino but I like to reapply it every 3-4 weeks anyhow. No matter what wax/sealant you use, it always looks it's best for the first few weeks after you apply it. There is no one product that everyone will find to be perfect, you just have to choose one you like. Zaino is an excellent product and I used it for many years, but right now on my black C5 I've simply found something I like better. And I'm always open to trying new stuff too, my bottle of NXT is getting low so I recently tried Eagle One Nanowax and it did a good job of hiding imperfections and the shine wasn't bad either, and I'm going to try Mother's SynWax next. So I might not even stick with NXT 2.0 anymore.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
you were smart enough to buy the best American sports car in history...... you are smart enough to apply the best polish......... zaino. come on........LOL
There is no "best" polish out there, as I mentioned above. A lot of people do like Zaino and it is very good, but as someone else mentioned, if you go to a high end detailer and ask them what they use on their cars it won't be Zaino.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
I have been using Meguiar's products exclusively since I started detailing my own cars some years ago. I do also use Danase Wet Glaze and Opti-Seal. I have been very happy with the results and see no need to really switch to anything else. Personally I think all the products mentioned all do a great job and there is most likely very little difference in one product over another. You could probably line up a Zaino car next to a Meguiar's car and next to a Rejex car and 99% of the people out there probably would not be able to tell a difference. I think it's more a result of the person using the products themselves.

I think how well a detail job you do has more impact on the looks than the product you use.

Originally Posted by Patman
There is no "best" polish out there, as I mentioned above. A lot of people do like Zaino and it is very good, but as someone else mentioned, if you go to a high end detailer and ask them what they use on their cars it won't be Zaino.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For my Last Step Product I bounce around between:

Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 (the profesional version of NXT 2.0)
Rejex
Mothers Reflections
and I sometimes top with Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Paste Wax

They all look great on a well-prepared surface.
Remember, preparation is responsible for at least 90% of a great shine.
On this forum we tend to put too much emphasis on the Last Step Product and not enough emphasis on the process.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tim05C6Z51
Yeah that is what is killing me about Zaino..It's a pain to find and it's a little pricey for the amount you get.
Mail order is easy, but when you add the shipping to the price, you're right...it's pretty darned expensive.
BUT when you do light coats, you can get a lot of coats (5-7) out of a bottle of Z2.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been using Turtle wax ICE for awhile and I really like the shine on my Machine Silver. The ease of use and being able to aply it in the sun is a winner for me, but now i'm trying AutoGlym wax to see how this stuff works out.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino vs....?????

Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by BSE1956
Mail order is easy, but when you add the shipping to the price, you're right...it's pretty darned expensive.
BUT when you do light coats, you can get a lot of coats (5-7) out of a bottle of Z2.
You should be getting way more than 5-7 coats out of a bottle of Z2! This video shows how light to use it and the guy claims 30 coats from one 8oz bottle of Zaino:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEX6-rulyH8
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoaman
I used Zanio starting on my 99 vert than my 04 vert, purchased a 08 vert and after every so often getting a haze from the Zanio and having to use a wet towel to remove. When the 08 arrived I tried Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 using my buffer, last longer, is slicker and now I always get comments on the shine. Six other club members have also changed with the same results. Never thought that I would find anything that I liked better than Zanio but Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 last longer, shines better, and is slicker. Did 3 coats in May last year drove to Bowling Green for anninversary party, on road 10 days washed everyday. Still shines and just put a coat on for this year 1st time since May and still got comments the first time took car out this year before re-applying.
I checked out the Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 on autogeek and it's funny...most of their marketing material sounds exactly like zaino. In the customer reviews...which were very high, one guy even commented on the bubble gum smell of the product when applying it....again just like Zaino (which smells like bubble gum). My guess is that both these products probably use the exact same compound for it's sealant properties with some minor differences in fillers.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts

REJEX nothing else to say!

Quick Reply: Zaino vs....?????