C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why 90% of Vettes For Sale - Modified?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why 90% of Vettes For Sale - Modified?

Here on this forum, in the For Sale section, almost all of the C5's and many of the C6's listed are heavily modified. Not cosmetic, but major engine modifications, like heads, cams, etc. Even many have BRAND NEW engines installed or supercharges. These are expensive modifications. Yet, after all the work and money, the cars are put up for sale? I don't understand?!?!

Why is it so hard to just find a clean unmodified C5/C6 for sale?

I have my theories WHY but I will wait to hear from others here as to why this happens....
Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
Here on this forum, in the For Sale section, almost all of the C5's and many of the C6's listed are heavily modified. Not cosmetic, but major engine modifications, like heads, cams, etc. Even many have BRAND NEW engines installed or supercharges. These are expensive modifications. Yet, after all the work and money, the cars are put up for sale? I don't understand?!?!

Why is it so hard to just find a clean unmodified C5/C6 for sale?

I have my theories WHY but I will wait to hear from others here as to why this happens....

You could have picked up my 2006 coupe with no major mods last year!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Most Vette owners don't modify. If you want an unmodified one, they are not that hard to find.

More to your question, Guys that are into modding their cars get to a point where they have gone as far as they want to go and just want to sell their masterpiece in order to obtain a fresh canvas. The buyer of the masterpiece is most likely someone who likes the modifications done and just wants the finished product since someone else made the investment.

Not that hard a concept to grasp.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:54 PM
sam_b
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people who mod cars, also get board after they are done modifying and want to start a new project. Can save a ton if you like that car.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:01 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
.....More to your question, Guys that are into modding their cars get to a point where they have gone as far as they want to go and just want to sell their masterpiece in order to obtain a fresh canvas. .....
Or they %$#k up so bad, and have so many problems, they simply say: "to hell with it, let some other poor unsuspecting sap, dumb enough to buy it and take it off my hands, deal with this %$#k up", so that they can start the process over with a clean slate.

Happens all the time. Especially in here.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:01 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Or they %$#k up so bad, and have so many problems, they simply say "to hell with it, let some other poor unsuspecting sap dumb enought to buy it, deal with this %$#k up", so that they can start over with a clean slate.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:06 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Or they %$#k up so bad, and have so many problems, they simply say "to hell with it, let some other poor unsuspecting sap dumb enough to buy it, deal with this %$#k up", so that they can start over with a clean slate.

A few cars are done RIGHT, while many others are questionable and others are downright hack jobs.

I believe the majority of cars fall into the questionable and then the hack areas. Those that are done RIGHT usually sell quickly or are sold before they even hit the public forums.

I've seen cars with the CHECK ENGINE light constantly on or it has to be cleared every 200 miles. Others with misfires, rough idle, oil consumption problems, leaks, electrical issues, etc.

I believe the people get fed up with these and other issues, and then want to sell the car, in order to buy a CLEAN and unmodified car.

To dump $15K+ into a car, and then turn around and sell it just for fun, doesn't sound right to me....

Last edited by LBear; 04-03-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Le Mans Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I would also suspect that there are quite a number of people that come on these boards to learn and mod their cars, if someone is going to enjoy it and just leave it the way it is I don't see them joining a board unless they want to meet others which isn't for everybody, more of the car enthusiasts. I'm sure there are a ton of them out there stock (Just bought mine last Friday stock) that aren't posted on these boards because that owner may not know to come list it here for sale. Out of all the C6s I looked at not one single car was modded.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:13 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Another way to look at this is that the reason that people modify the car is because they are not satisfied with it. After they modify it, they are still not satisfied and may never be satisfied with any car, so they sell it and move on to that greener grass on the other side of the fence. Also, we must remember that people and cars here on the forum are not the average car or person. Most Corvettes out there for sale are not heavily modified, just many of the ones for sale here.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:17 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

The people that participate in online forums are not the average owner. I bet there is only one or two 100% stock cars on this forum.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Le Mans Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
The people that participate in online forums are not the average owner. I bet there is only one or two 100% stock cars on this forum.
Mine is one of them ..... for now (Just bought it last Friday)
Old 04-03-2010, 03:24 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cclive
Another way to look at this is that the reason that people modify the car is because they are not satisfied with it.
I said that a while back, about those who make home made "wide bootys" and "wide bodies" and took all kinds of hell for it.

After they modify it, they are still not satisfied and may never be satisfied with any car, so they sell it and move on to that greener grass on the other side of the fence.
A lot of these modded cars in here, well people won't tell you all of the problems they see......just some of them.

In other words, the actual $#!* you hear, the actual screw ups you see posted up in here, is just the ******* tip of the ******* iceberg.

A lot of these modded cars in here, like LBear says, some of them are actually riding around with a check engine light on. Others, the owner dare not take out of town on a road trip. Others, each drive is an "experiment", an "adventure" to see if anything goes wrong. If nothing &^%$s up, then the mod(s) was/were "successful". However if it does &^%k up, the owner either continues to tinker, or he simply sells the car to some sucker and leaves him holding the bag.

After awhile, you get tired of rolling like that and decide to move on.

In some cases, people say that's it, "no more modding". In other cases, the poor bastard doesn't learn his lesson and starts the cycle all over again.

But at any rate, some poorer sap is left with his prior screw up. Sometimes a "returned to stock" ticking time bomb, waiting to pop on the new owner when he least expects it.

Also, we must remember that people and cars here on the forum are not the average car or person. Most Corvettes out there for sale are not heavily modified, just many of the ones for sale here.
True.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-03-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Route 66 Tom
Instructor

Or they %$#k up so bad, and have so many problems, they simply say: "to hell with it, let some other poor unsuspecting sap, dumb enough to buy it and take it off my hands, deal with this %$#k up", so that they can start the process over with a clean slate.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:30 PM
jor8888
Racer

the one that dont mod normally keep their car for a while and trade in for a new one so its hard to find a un-mod here.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:35 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Define 100%. Replace the CAGS fuse, remove the M2W transmiter, and I'm back to 100% stock. I don't even consider these mods, they're must have accessories. Everything else I've done to my Vette could be put back to bone stock in less than one hour, and I have all the original parts to do just that, but the things that I've done are things a dealership might add to a new Vette anyway.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

The thing I would fear the most, is the lease turn in which has been modded and "returned to stock".

There are a few of those in here.

The car leased, 3, 4 or even 5 years, modded with just about anything you can name, beat to hell on the street and the track, then the mods removed and sold seperately, just before the lease turn in, where the car ends up on some dealer lot.

The poor people who end up with used cars like that, are very likely going to be left "holding the bag" when the car decides to takes a giant crap.

Only thing is, the bag won't be big enough.

If I am going to buy a pre owned Vette, it is going to be low mileage, no evidence of mods, and I am going to go over it with a fine toothed comb to make sure of that.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

One or two?

But I get what your saying. I've saved all the stock parts that I replaced with mods. I even saved my stock mufflers.

Get notified of new replies

To Why 90% of Vettes For Sale - Modified?

Old 04-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 04-03-2010, 06:28 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

I've read where guys have rented a HERTZ RENTAL C6, took the time to install nitrous on it, beat the **** out of it, took it off, and returned the car to Hertz and nobody knew a thing.

Now, if someone is going to spend all that time and effort in doing that to a 1 day rental, how much more to a car they own for 1-3 years, and then dump it on some poor sap.

Just do a SEARCH on this forum and see how many issues guys are having with their modded C6s. Here's a sample:

"Running rough (backfiring)"
"Overheating problems"
"LS2 FAST 102 noise"
etc, etc...
Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 PM
samotlietuvis
Instructor

I always wondered same thing myself. When I owned my Z-28 and blew up two motors, I knew many other board members on camaroz28.com who have done the same. Guys on camaro board shared their misfortunes more than guys here. It is funny how I spent all my time modding my camaro, never really enjoyed it, and then sold that POS, whereas my brother had stock Z-28 that he beat the sh*t off for 50k miles and did not touch anything. I am so glad I went through modding stage early in my life (22 when I was in college), and that I learned how wastefull and non-rewarding the experience is. Nowadays I race 600cc motorcycles without doing anything to them, and I drive my corvette a lot in the canyons and use her as commuter and I could not be happier. I will not touch single thing on her. I would never buy a car with modyfied engine myself. Chances are very high that modded corvettes that are being sold have something wrong with them and the owner is just trying to off-load the junk. There is this saying in motorcycle world: "drive more and modd less". Very applicable to corvettes.

Last edited by samotlietuvis; 04-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Why 90% of Vettes For Sale - Modified?