C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so my roof panel flew off today....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
fastter
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ludacris007
I am leaning towards not doing that and going with a foreign car like an audi or bmw. this is the worst customer service I have seen EVER.
Just wait until you by a BMW or Audi ... you haven't seen nothin' yet!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well called customer service again and they said that since it had been fixed once when the recall was done 4 years ago, that was all they were obligated to do. they said that they will not fix the same problem on the recall twice. What is sad is that I was getting ready to trade this car in for a new vette. I am leaning towards not doing that and going with a foreign car like an audi or bmw. this is the worst customer service I have seen EVER.
I would contend that they never really fixed the problem in the first place if it happend again. Car roofs should never ever fly off the car. DOH.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If memory serves correct, the following link is to a thread where a forum member got GM to replace his roof panel even though it had been previously 'fixed' under the customer satisfaction program. Maybe it will be of some help. If it's good for the goose....

Originally Posted by djfullshred
I would contend that they never really fixed the problem in the first place if it happend again. Car roofs should never ever fly off the car. DOH.
BINGO! The operative word is "fixed."
Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

There is NO WAY that you will be paying for this replacement. Send a PM to Geoff (forum member Chevy Cust Svc) and get him the details of your interaction with the dealership to this point. He will need to get some very specific information from you.

GM has acknowledged that the repair of the roof panels via the foam adhesive process was not found to be effective at correcting the issue with the panel delaminating. Once that initial TSB expired GM stopped repairing panels and simply ordered replacements to be installed. There is a follow on recall notice coming to owners that have had their panels repaired. Don't let this drop and if necessary, find a second dealership to talk to about the replacement.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 PM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '13
Default Not all cars qualify

The recal says, "Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using GMVIS. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved. "

My car's VIN is in the recall but it doesn't come up on GMVIS so they say my roof is not affected, but I don't trust the GMVIS (whatever that is).
Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

so talk to geoff the cust svc guy. he's on here. you just gotta find him.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a new carbon fiber roof skin. Maybe at least ask if the dealer would install it?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Corvetteforum.com name: Chevy Cust Svc

Send this guy a PM. Give him your VIN and a brief summary of what repair history (with dates) that you've had with your top. Let him know about your conversations with the dealer and GM Customer Service. Ask politely if there's anything he can do to assist you.

I know you're getting the runaround but keep your cool! Do not tell him that GM Customer Service sucks or that this will be the last Vette you ever buy if they don't give you a new top. Just give the guy a chance to help you out.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:33 PM
ludacris007
Heel & Toe

Default thanks.

thanks for all of the responses everyone! I will ask very politely to the gentleman listed above. I may wait to see if there is a recall if nothing else works. I love corvettes and I would like to get the z06 soon, but I refuse to be disrespected by a company esp since I have driven their cars for the past 8 yrs and have sung their praises. I will simmer down a bit and email that gentleman tomorrow and hopefully this can be resolved the right way.

for the record the panel ended up on the other side of the freeway (read: flew over the divider to the lanes going the other way), I called the toll road authority (was on a toll road) and reported it immediately bc I was concered about any being hurt or damaging their car. I am just glad a motorcyclist wasnt hit or he would have hurt or dead and that would have been just a terrible event.

<rambling over> any more suggestions would be appreciated esp on how to deal with this situation. thanks again to all
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Lucky someone wasn't killed. It could have gone right through someone's windshield behind you also. Would have been an interesting lawsuit between your insurance company and GM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

They may have previously repaired it but they didn't FIX it....good luck
Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
They may have previously repaired it but they didn't FIX it....good luck
Thats true...that interesting lawsuit could have included the dealer who did the alleged "repair"
Old 04-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

If all else fails go right to the top. GM's Chief operations manager Barack H. Obama at 1600 Penn. Ave. In his view it is never your fault, you have been screwed by some rich guy and he will make them pay. LOL
Old 04-02-2010, 11:17 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Monterey C6
If all else fails go right to the top. GM's Chief operations manager Barack H. Obama at 1600 Penn. Ave. In his view it is never your fault, you have been screwed by some rich guy and he will make them pay. LOL
hehe
Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 AM
bario
Instructor

well called customer service again and they said that since it had been fixed once when the recall was done 4 years ago, that was all they were obligated to do. they said that they will not fix the same problem on the recall twice. What is sad is that I was getting ready to trade this car in for a new vette. I am leaning towards not doing that and going with a foreign car like an audi or bmw. this is the worst customer service I have seen EVER.
Well my '05 was "fixed" back in 2006 and I just had my brand new roof installed at my dealer about 3 weeks ago. It most certainly was covered by the recall and it was the dealership, on their own, who found out about the recall and ordered the new roof for me while my car was in for other servicing!!

You should not be having a problem getting this resolved free of charge.

B
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 AM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Should you seriously be considering the purchase of a BMW let me advise you that, from personal experience over the last ten years, the service and parts costs for these vehicles is incredibly expensive once you are "out "of their new car service plan (mileage/years). The BMW parts must be made of "unobtanium." FWIW. . .
Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 AM
AllenG
Advanced

I think the defect was at time of manufacturer and a hidden flaw until it flew off. Now that the taxpayers own GM, maybe your Rep should help you out.......right.

Get notified of new replies

To so my roof panel flew off today....

Old 04-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

This is absolutely ridiculous. GM needs to bone up on this one and soon.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Aside from the obvious remedy sought by the OP, we can all hope that GM will take measured but stern behind-the-scenes action against the dealership on behalf of this customer. The unacceptable behavior of one or two individuals must not be allowed to tarnish the GM/Corvette brand, particularly during these difficult economic times. In retail it's really true that one "Awsh**" wipes out a hundred "Attaboys".
Old 04-03-2010, 03:51 AM
jimb77
Pro

What is sad is that I was getting ready to trade this car in for a new vette. I am leaning towards not doing that and going with a foreign car like an audi or bmw. this is the worst customer service I have seen EVER.

Bingo! I took some heat for saying the same thing about my Avalanche and how GM treated me. That is exactly how GM lost so many customers. They basically told millions of Americans to buy foreign cars with their attitude.

Quick Reply: so my roof panel flew off today....