C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy Denies Warranty on Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 AM
Crazy Old Man
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moabbikr
Was there a resolution to this issue?
With 6448 views, I believe there is more interest on what happens with GM on this issue than most people realize, including GM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 AM
AT T 2D
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Old Man
With 6448 views, I believe there is more interest on what happens with GM on this issue than most people realize, including GM.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Curti
Instructor

Default Balancer

Yes, I agree. I read this entire thread through with intrest. OP needs to post resolution.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello all,

An update as promised—I have sent Jarod a private message with the latest. This is not yet resolved but we expect to have resolution next week. Out of respect for privacy, I’d rather not go into the details publically.

Finally, as a part of beginning to establish a presence in this and other forums, we will be posting a ‘New Member’ Intro in the next week or so to better define what we hope to be able to do here.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service
Another week has come and gone. Are our "Harmonic Balancers" covered under warranty or not?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
C6Longshot
Instructor

Default Problem Solved!

Great news... After telling me they would not cover the part replacement under warranty and that was the final desicion- Yesterday, out of the blue, I get a call from Chevy customer service.

They tell me that the part is indeed covered, and they will reimburse me for the full repair amount. Guess they got some common sense knocked into them somehow. The GM district rep was very clear that it was not the dealers fault, and that the part was listed in the GM computer system as not applicable for 5yr/100k warranty coverage.

I don't blame the dealer for the hassle, but probably won't be going back to them. They should have had enough technical knowledge to understand a "harmonic balancer" is the same part as a "crankshaft balancer" and fought this issue with GM as my advocate- which obviously didn't happen.

Hope this problem never happens to any of our forum memebers, but if it does, PM me and I will be glad to provide my case ID as a reference.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Great news... After telling me they would not cover the part replacement under warranty and that was the final desicion- Yesterday, out of the blue, I get a call from Chevy customer service.

They tell me that the part is indeed covered, and they will reimburse me for the full repair amount. Guess they got some common sense knocked into them somehow. The GM district rep was very clear that it was not the dealers fault, and that the part was listed in the GM computer system as not applicable for 5yr/100k warranty coverage.

I don't blame the dealer for the hassle, but probably won't be going back to them. They should have had enough technical knowledge to understand a "harmonic balancer" is the same part as a "crankshaft balancer" and fought this issue with GM as my advocate- which obviously didn't happen.

Hope this problem never happens to any of our forum memebers, but if it does, PM me and I will be glad to provide my case ID as a reference.
Great news for you and all of us waiting to hear!! I agree,you should never use that dealer ever again. You shouldn't have had to go thru this in the 1st place and had they given a crap and done a little extra leg work,you wouldn't have.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:27 AM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Originally Posted by 08crm
Great news for you and all of us waiting to hear!! I agree,you should never use that dealer ever again. You shouldn't have had to go thru this in the 1st place and had they given a crap and done a little extra leg work,you wouldn't have.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by 08crm

Good to see that GM FINALLY did something right by the customer. I still think the dealer in this situation completley sucks AZZ anyway, and is no different than any other STEALERSHIP. Just goes to show that they really don't give 2 shts about their customers, all they care about is $$$$ which is fine to a degree they are a business that needs to make money, but clearly in this case, this in an exception that they should have done the leg work instead of just turning their back on you.

Kinda makes it like the customer is wrong until he/she can prove themselves right.

Chalk +1 up for GM, and another BIG FAT 0 for stealerships as usual.

Maybe the mods could make this thread a sticky, or someone could post up a summary/write-up of this in case anyone else runs into this..or better yet maybe add something in the C6 FAQ sticky at the top?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

BTW- I see you are in South Elgin IL, what Stealership was this at?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Odin
Instructor

Everyone here purchased the flagship of Chevrolet's line, the most expensive car Chevy sells. We're driving advertisements for Chrvrolet, and as owners we are the front line PR firm for GM.

It's really sad when we think of it as a victory after paying out the *** for repairs that should have been under warranty, then going through countless hours of fighting with the dealer and GM, only to have GM reluctantly cover the issue under warranty. This is NOT good customer service.

This is equivalent to graciously thanking the burglar who stole your television when he brings it back a month later, after you conducted an exhaustive investigatuion and tracked down the burglar, and feeling like everything is OK because you eventually got the TV back.

It appears tham GM will only honor warranties when someone forces the issue and GM feels like it would be in their benefit to cover the repair and hope to avoid the negative publicity.

I have only one question - other than another GM product, what cars should I consider for my next purchase. When I eventually sell the 2 Cadillacs and 1 Corvette that I currently own I still want something nice for a daily driver and something performance for a weekend toy. I've always bought American only, but I guess it's time to change my thought on that.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
anotherone
Pro

Originally Posted by Odin
Everyone here purchased the flagship of Chevrolet's line, the most expensive car Chevy sells. We're driving advertisements for Chrvrolet, and as owners we are the front line PR firm for GM.

It's really sad when we think of it as a victory after paying out the *** for repairs that should have been under warranty, then going through countless hours of fighting with the dealer and GM, only to have GM reluctantly cover the issue under warranty. This is NOT good customer service.

This is equivalent to graciously thanking the burglar who stole your television when he brings it back a month later, after you conducted an exhaustive investigatuion and tracked down the burglar, and feeling like everything is OK because you eventually got the TV back.

It appears tham GM will only honor warranties when someone forces the issue and GM feels like it would be in their benefit to cover the repair and hope to avoid the negative publicity.

I have only one question - other than another GM product, what cars should I consider for my next purchase. When I eventually sell the 2 Cadillacs and 1 Corvette that I currently own I still want something nice for a daily driver and something performance for a weekend toy. I've always bought American only, but I guess it's time to change my thought on that.
I am sorry you feel that way. My dealer treats me like I own the place and bent over backwards in service dealing with my buyback. Also I did not buy the vette from them. The employees there are great!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

wheres that lib. fairy now?says he"s in love with GM and no one should be bashing them.........bes t of luck with gm ,,,
Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM
RanGer498
Melting Slicks

great
Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 PM
kellf190
Instructor

It is very good news that is finally being covered. It is a real shame anyone had to go through this in the first place. But someone in GM who knows something about engines finally got involved. The bad news is there are so many harmonic balancers going bad and those out of warranty are out of luck. For goodness sakes this is not a complicated high tech piece of equipment.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Stewart W
Advanced

Glad to hear it went your way..
Old 04-30-2010, 06:36 PM
jcapps
Drifting

Received 546 Likes on 168 Posts

Glad it was finally resolved as it should have been.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Odin
Instructor

Originally Posted by anotherone
I am sorry you feel that way. My dealer treats me like I own the place and bent over backwards in service dealing with my buyback. Also I did not buy the vette from them. The employees there are great!
It's great that your dealer takes care of you, but I really don't want to play the dealer lottery with the warranty on my $60K car. Inconsistent customer service is non-existant customer service, and even GM declined this warranty when they were first made aware of it. The only reason GM is fixing this guy's car under warranty is to quiet down the Corvette Forum. If GM wasn't aware of this thread they would still be denying coverage.

I'll vote with my money and my vote goes to the company that stands behind their product. When I find a company like that I'll be all over it.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy Denies Warranty on Harmonic Balancer

Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to hear it finally was resolved in the OP's favor. It should not have taken this long, someone with some common sense should have stepped up to the plate long ago!!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I too am glad to read a happy ending to this saga. Like many CF members, though, I'll remember this one for a long time. As the old saying goes, it only takes one "AwSh**" to cancel out 100 "AttaBoys".
Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kellf190
It is very good news that is finally being covered. It is a real shame anyone had to go through this in the first place. But someone in GM who knows something about engines finally got involved. The bad news is there are so many harmonic balancers going bad and those out of warranty are out of luck. For goodness sakes this is not a complicated high tech piece of equipment.

Quick Reply: Chevy Denies Warranty on Harmonic Balancer