C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau cover latch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Curti
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tonneau cover latch problem

When raising the power top on my vert it gets about 80% closed, it started lowering again. I traced the problem to the tonneau cover latch.
The tonneau cover must latch completely before the top will drop down to the windshield. It will work OK if I time it right and put my elbow on it.

Has anyone ever attempted to adjust the latch, or more correctly the switch in the latch?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:10 AM
vam
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 Tonneau latch

I did the same thing until the latch would no longer pull the tonneau down. The local dealer fixed it by replacing the Latching mechanism to a sum of $602! The dealer charged me $414 for the Actuator which I later found at Walmart for $155, and at FrugalMechanic.com for $189. The part name and no is AC Delco Actuator #25809368. If anybody experiences this problem, do not take it to the dealer. Buy the part from Walmart or Ebay.
Vam
vr4spyder@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by Curti
When raising the power top on my vert it gets about 80% closed, it started lowering again. I traced the problem to the tonneau cover latch.
The tonneau cover must latch completely before the top will drop down to the windshield. It will work OK if I time it right and put my elbow on it.

Has anyone ever attempted to adjust the latch, or more correctly the switch in the latch?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Curti
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Latch

Originally Posted by vam
I did the same thing until the latch would no longer pull the tonneau down. The local dealer fixed it by replacing the Latching mechanism to a sum of $602! The dealer charged me $414 for the Actuator which I later found at Walmart for $155, and at FrugalMechanic.com for $189. The part name and no is AC Delco Actuator #25809368. If anybody experiences this problem, do not take it to the dealer. Buy the part from Walmart or Ebay.
Vam
vr4spyder@hotmail.com
Good information, Thanks!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:24 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The latch mechanism is essentially the same pull down mechanism that GM has been using on trunks for years. Before replacing something, I would certainly try some contact cleaner on the paddle switch contacts. That is what tells the computer that the tonneau is latched and to let the top come down to the windshield. It is a simple limit switch.

The problem may also be in the positional adjustment of that switch...it may be such that the lid is not being pulled down far enough to activate it on a regular basis.

Last edited by cclive; 11-03-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:37 AM
RogerTheDodger
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by cclive
The latch mechanism is essentially the same pull down mechanism that GM has been using on trunks for years. Before replacing something, I would certainly try some contact cleaner on the paddle switch contacts. That is what tells the computer that the tonneau is latched and to let the top come down to the windshield. It is a simple limit switch.

The problem may also be in the positional adjustment of that switch...it may be such that the lid is not being pulled down far enough to activate it on a regular basis.
I am having a similar problem, as the tonneau cover goes down, but the motor chatters unless I push down on the cover, then it quits chattering. I'm going to look at the limit switch. Stay tuned.
Roger

Get notified of new replies

To Tonneau cover latch problem

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover latch problem