C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP in a Box Install Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Ingram
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NPP in a Box Install Time

What is a realistic amount of time a shop would take to install NPP mufflers and a NPP in a box kit?

I went by a local shop, they took a look at the instructions and quoted at least half a day. :O That's big $$$$$$

Input?

-Ingram
Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

If it takes them an hour they would be taking their time. At the end of the day it involves running some rubber tubing from the engine to the rear of the car by snaking it along existing hangers and under the tunnel plate. They then need to drill a hole in the rear console storage area and mount the box.

If they are installing the exhaust to at the same time and took two hours total then that would also be a fairly slow shop.

Half a day is a complete joke for even a complete novice.

Paul
Old 03-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I installed B&B Fusion Cat back on an 07 with the mild to wild option. It took all of 3 hours to do it. That included running the vacuum and electrics.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Ingram
Intermediate

Originally Posted by talon90
If it takes them an hour they would be taking their time. At the end of the day it involves running some rubber tubing from the engine to the rear of the car by snaking it along existing hangers and under the tunnel plate. They then need to drill a hole in the rear console storage area and mount the box.

If they are installing the exhaust to at the same time and took two hours total then that would also be a fairly slow shop.

Half a day is a complete joke for even a complete novice.

Paul
Yeah, when they're quoted it being a 4-5 hour job at $120/hr I walked... That price just made me sick to my stomach, lol

-Ingram
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM
BrianH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ingram
Yeah, when they're quoted it being a 4-5 hour job at $120/hr I walked... That price just made me sick to my stomach, lol

-Ingram
I see your vette tax is strong there as well.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 PM
petiebear
Pro

I had my NPP's installed at a friends muffler shop and it took 1 hour.
I installed the NPP in a box and it took less than 1 hour.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
bassspring
Racer

I'm installing mine this weekend, I hope it only takes a couple hours but I think more like half a day if I'm by myself, I will be taking off the Corsa Sports I just installed so I know it wont be hard to take the old exhaust off, I'll post up how long it took Saturday night.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Ingram
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bassspring
I'm installing mine this weekend, I hope it only takes a couple hours but I think more like half a day if I'm by myself, I will be taking off the Corsa Sports I just installed so I know it wont be hard to take the old exhaust off, I'll post up how long it took Saturday night.
I'd appreciate it, how come you're ditching the corsas?

-Ingram
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
bassspring
Racer

Originally Posted by Ingram
I'd appreciate it, how come you're ditching the corsas?

-Ingram
Just not the sound I was looking for not that its bad its just that at cruze speed you don't hear anything.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Ingram
Intermediate

Very cool,

When I hear OF people removing their Corsas for NPP I know I made the right choice!

Good luck on the install!

-Ingram
Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Shop here charged me $130 for 2 man-hours labor. My boy would have done it for zero but his shop is 2 hours away and it would have taken time away from his family.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:12 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default well...

I had the stock exhaust swapped for NPP at a local muffler shop... $75, took about 45 min... I did the NPP in a Box, start to finish, under an hour, working slow.. and having fun, VERY easy.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 AM
SlideRulz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Strick
I installed B&B Fusion Cat back on an 07 with the mild to wild option. It took all of 3 hours to do it. That included running the vacuum and electrics.
that's abut what it took me to do it.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
I had the stock exhaust swapped for NPP at a local muffler shop... $75, took about 45 min... I did the NPP in a Box, start to finish, under an hour, working slow.. and having fun, VERY easy.

Same here on my first set of Z06 muffs except I ran most of the NPP in the box stuff while he had it in the air. Came home and finished the electrical connections in about 20 minutes.

I took those off myself to install the 09 NPP muffs in the driveway jacked up. Took maybe an hour just taking my time and getting out from under the car too many times for something. Hated to see the kids grow up and leave. My go-fers are gone.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:11 PM
bassspring
Racer

It took me just over five hours to do the install by my self I also changed the the hpipe for an xpipe had to spend alot of extra time because of being by my self, like feeding the vacume lines for the NPP IN A Box made for alot of back and forth under the car and under the hood, with a helper I say you can do it in about two to three hours, but after the install it was well worth it, like the fact that you can turn it off if you want it quite.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:26 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Default well..

It took me just over five hours to do the install by my self I also changed the the hpipe for an xpipe had to spend alot of extra time because of being by my self, like feeding the vacume lines for the NPP IN A Box made for alot of back and forth under the car and under the hood, with a helper I say you can do it in about two to three hours, but after the install it was well worth it, like the fact that you can turn it off if you want it quite.
I am not sure why the vacuum lines were so hard for you... I did by myself...I just cut open a wire coat hanger... shoved through the tunnel, taped the vacuum hose on, and pulled through...

The connection on the engine took 2 minutes... 2 holes drilled in cubby a couple minutes... Then tucking the wireing harness... maybe 10 minutes...

Most of my time was jacking up the car, supporting it, so I can crawl under it... and then lowering it..

I would highly recommend this mod.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:12 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I had NPP cat back, Npp in a box, bilstein shocks and z51 bars installed in 4.5 hours and that was with the tunnel plate removed so the tubing could be tied to the car without it flopping around the inside if it were just snaked thru. total cost $450.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP in a Box Install Time

Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM
bassspring
Racer

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
I am not sure why the vacuum lines were so hard for you... I did by myself...I just cut open a wire coat hanger... shoved through the tunnel, taped the vacuum hose on, and pulled through...

The connection on the engine took 2 minutes... 2 holes drilled in cubby a couple minutes... Then tucking the wireing harness... maybe 10 minutes...

Most of my time was jacking up the car, supporting it, so I can crawl under it... and then lowering it..

I would highly recommend this mod.

A few more things is that I did my install at work so I had to deal with some work things as well and also lunch and I didn't say anything was hard to do just saying there was alot of getting up and down and at my age the first few times are quicker and easier then the last few times but still say from start to finish jacking up the car removing the old exhaust from the cats back and installing the NPP In A Box the new exhaust and lowering the car I still say two guys will be 3 hours at best, so if you can do it in 10 minuets I think you should be doing this for a living.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:26 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Default well

A few more things is that I did my install at work so I had to deal with some work things as well and also lunch and I didn't say anything was hard to do just saying there was alot of getting up and down and at my age the first few times are quicker and easier then the last few times but still say from start to finish jacking up the car removing the old exhaust from the cats back and installing the NPP In A Box the new exhaust and lowering the car I still say two guys will be 3 hours at best, so if you can do it in 10 minuets I think you should be doing this for a living.
All I installed was the NPP in a box...The guy at the muffler shop, on a lift, by himself, while I waited, swapped the 2 mufflers in 45 minutes... charged me $75. Seemed more than fair.

The vacuum hose is just pulled through my tunnel... I would not know anything about flapping...I did it over a year ago, no issues...

The wireing just stuffs between carpet and moulding...I did not have to remove anything... It is a very nice kit.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM
PAKev
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered my NPP in a box yesterday...and waiting for the Z06 muffs to arrive and be modded. Great to hear the NPP is an easy install. Thanks for the post!

Quick Reply: NPP in a Box Install Time