C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! STOP my rear view from shaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 AM
thehawkjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help! STOP my rear view from shaking

Just bought a c6, and the rear view mirror shakes over any little bump. Are they all like this or do I need to get a new one. Anything I can do to stiffen it up????? Thanks for your time......
Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 AM
silvervettesyco
Racer

sounds like someone changed the windshield and didn't use the correct tool to remove the mirror which results in breaking the inner clip.These mirrors don't normally shake
Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 AM
cmnguye8
Racer

are you talking about the ones outside the door? if so bring it to the dealer and they will snap it back on.. 5 mins or so.. you can actually do it yourself..... the mirror is locked with like a bolt-on type of thing and you push the mirror in until it bolts on. mines did this also
Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 AM
spinalator
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread on this forum about how to remove and fix the 3 pins inside the housing that tightens up the mirror. I did mine about a year ago. It didn't work well, but I did use thin self sticking felt in between which worked great and the mirror no longer rattled. It is simple to remove the mirror, just give it a 1/4 turn counterclockwise and it should come off the bracket attached to the window... I'll search to see if I can find the original post
Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 AM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

copied and pasted from a thread a few years ago, sorry, nopicture;

Enclosed pics of the rearview mirror with the cam lock on the the mirror and the male on the windshield. Note on the cam lock ring there a 3 tiny circle/bumps (not the torx screws) that fit around the cam's outer male cutouts on the windshield. While those tiny bumps dont actually hold the cam lock on per se, by taking the mirror off and back on and so on, it grinds those bumps down (they are only about 1/16" sticking above the disc when new). If they get worn down they can give the mirror cam a slight loooseness but nowhere as bad as faulty spring pin wiggles. Dont know what GM was smoking when they designed this system.

took a skinny flat screwdriver to something inside the back, which he bent, and put the mirror back on and it's fine"

What he did was push and bend the pins out (using the disk as a wedge) without removing the torx screws. You got VERY lucky as I tried that too and made it worse. The pins need to be _straight_ and what's really neeed is to remove the torx screws & disc and then straighten and reset the spring pins.

The mirror has a cam that locks it in. Swivel the mirror as if your setting it at about 1/4 to 1/3 turn and then turn the whole thing (like a twist) and the whole shebang will come off. To remount it keep the mirror at that setting angle and then line up the cam at about a 90 degree angle and then turn/twist the cam back on.

Since I take things apart and fix them for a living I decided to try to 'fix' the pins myself. I came to the same conclusion that siffert did about straightening them out, and it worked The only problem was that as soon as I tried to adjust the mirror it almost immediately loosened up again. I again took it off and straightened the pins, but this time, while the mirror was off, I used the cut off end of a zip-tie (a tooth pick would work) to push some silicone grease into the swivel ball and worked it around really good. That's the same grease that you'd use on spark plug wires or your weatherstripping. This time when I put it back on the windshield the cam mount was tighter than the swivel ball I can now adjust my mirror with one hand without making it come loose from the windshield, but the swivel ball is still plenty tight to hold the mirror in position while driving down the road.

I only wish I had seen this thread before I agonized over attempting a fix myself vs. a never desired trip to the dealer.

GREAT TIP! I thought of something like that myself to loosen that ultra tight swivel ball, but was worried I might loosen it too much and then would have the swivel ball wiggles along with the cam lock wiggles. Now that you greased it and dont have any swivel wiggle, next time I take off the mirror and/or it comes off on it own, will use that silicone grease on the swivel ball before putting it back on. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I fixed mine using tin foil I removed the mirror, tucked some small pieces under each of the pins, then formed two layers filling and carriying over the edges of the cavity... re-installed the mirror and it is as solid as a rock!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
bassspring
Racer

I had the same problem with mine took the pins out and bent them back straight and it worked for about 2 months then replaced the pins with a better material and 2 years later no problem, if you will send me your address (PM) I will send you some of the replacement pins I used to try.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:30 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bassspring
I had the same problem with mine took the pins out and bent them back straight and it worked for about 2 months then replaced the pins with a better material and 2 years later no problem, if you will send me your address (PM) I will send you some of the replacement pins I used to try.
I'm sending you a PM as I have the same problem and would like to replace the pins.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Greg sent me replacement pins last fall and it did the trick. I tried bending mine to straighten them but it never worked. As soon as I put in the replacement pins it has never shaken again.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

REMOVE ,and coat it with candle wax
Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gp56
Greg sent me replacement pins last fall and it did the trick. I tried bending mine to straighten them but it never worked. As soon as I put in the replacement pins it has never shaken again.
He is sending me a set as well. Members like Greg are what makes this Forum great. Thanks Greg!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
harlanmott3
Instructor

anyone know another source for the springs or how they are made besides bassspring? I understand he's awesome and gives them out, but no one should be responsible for supplying everyone else with parts. But I'm about tired of the shake!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 PM
James A Flowers
Intermediate

I'm, Jim Flowers
8104 Carolwood Drive
Evansville, Indiana 47715.

If there is any charge for the pins please let me know and I will send you the money.
Thanks again
Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Sounds pretty stupid but I actually read where folks cut a milk jug to shim it in there and it worked. I had a guy with the same problem and used a little piece of plastic to shim in and it worked. So... I guess its not that stupid after all.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM
jordany123
1st Gear

can i also get help with some pins?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 PM
fastwhite05
2nd Gear

Default C6 mirror issues

Had the same problem this week when I adjusted my inside rearview mirror. Immediately joined the forum and sent a PM to Bassspring about the stainless steel pins he makes. Replied back the next day and pins are on the way. Thanks Bassspring.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
pfic06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Inside mirror loose

I had the same issue with my inside mirror being loose. The fix I came up with was to take 3 5/64" drill bits. snap the shank off at 1" and grind to fit. The bits are hardened steel, so won't bend like the factory ones.
The following users liked this post:
rpiechowski (08-21-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Please help! STOP my rear view from shaking

Old 07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by j_digi454
He is sending me a set as well. Members like Greg are what makes this Forum great. Thanks Greg!
Greg hooked me up with the pins some time ago and he's supplied pins for many other forum members. Greg really goes the extra mile...here's a guy who makes the parts and ships them to those in-need free of charge. People like Greg reinforce my opinion that Corvette guys are the best. Thanks again Greg!
The following users liked this post:
7thAngel (10-18-2023)
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM
fastwhite05
2nd Gear

Default C6 rearview mirror loose

I replaced the 3 pins with the one's from bassspring. Worked great. After installing the mirror, i was adjusting and a small piece of plastic dropped on the console. It was one of the tabs on the back of the mirror that holds the mirror tightly to the adjustment ball. There is a plastic o ring that snaps over the tabs to keep the mirror in adjustment.
Is there any options other than buying a new mirror from the dealer. It is $379.00. The mirror only has self dimming and the courtesy lights, no OnStar.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:21 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I had moved the mirror a bunch over the winter while I was doing some mods to the interior, and lo and behold, didn't my mirror start shaking as described by the OP. I also found the thread for removing the mirror, straightened out the pins, put a shim in there, and it fixed the shaking problems.
This forum is a great tool for the DIY

Quick Reply: Please help! STOP my rear view from shaking