C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Side Marker Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The LEO must have really been looking for a reason to pull you over...I can't imagine that the amber side marker would just jump right out at him as a violation of state law. I would think most people would have a hard time picking it out even if they were told about it...I certainly would.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Sammons
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
If it was a 2010 I would just think blame it on a government conspiracy to increase revenue.

Sounds like you should be able to fight this in court, but the time and effort will probably equal the cost of the ticket in the long run. Three or fours hours out of your day, sitting in court might equal $160. Maybe GM could reimburse you for the ticket.
Not to mention the six hour drive roundtrip from Houston to San Antonio, a vacation day, gas and wear and tear on my vehicle...

The honorable police officer was probably aware of this once he looked at my license and noticed I wasn't from around these parts...
Old 03-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Sammons
Advanced

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Its a violation of state law. Its his job to enforce state law. Doh.
I'm thankful we there are individuals that take on the task of law enforcement and I do my best to uphold the law.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:54 PM
PJRed2008
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammons
Not to mention the six hour drive roundtrip from Houston to San Antonio, a vacation day, gas and wear and tear on my vehicle...

The honorable police officer was probably aware of this once he looked at my license and noticed I wasn't from around these parts...
A letter outlining the situation, if indeed you were given the incorrect lenses by GM, and mailed to the court, along with a request to have the citation reviewed, could very probably result in at least a reduced fine. If you got a letter from a GM dealer confirming the incorrect lenses you would most likely see the citation cancelled.

The mail and the correct attitude can get you far.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Sammons
Advanced

A letter outlining the situation, if indeed you were given the incorrect lenses by GM, and mailed to the court, along with a request to have the citation reviewed, could very probably result in at least a reduced fine. If you got a letter from a GM dealer confirming the incorrect lenses you would most likely see the citation cancelled.

The mail and the correct attitude can get you far.
You are right and that is the direction I am following.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

Wow. If the law was that black and white, they would pull over every single vehicle that breaks the speed limit by 1 MPH, cite every jay-walker, the list goes on and on...

However we all know this does not happen based on factors such as available resources, degree to which the law was broken, and more. There are thousands of laws out there, and I bet that any one of us could get cited for SOMETHING within the course of driving to the supermarket. So although those laws may be written in black and white, in the end it is up to the judgement of the LEO to take multiple factors in to account and CHOOSE whether to apply enforcement.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BLK4MTL
Wow. If the law was that black and white, they would pull over every single vehicle that breaks the speed limit by 1 MPH, cite every jay-walker, the list goes on and on...

However we all know this does not happen based on factors such as available resources, degree to which the law was broken, and more. There are thousands of laws out there, and I bet that any one of us could get cited for SOMETHING within the course of driving to the supermarket. So although those laws may be written in black and white, in the end it is up to the judgement of the LEO to take multiple factors in to account and CHOOSE whether to apply enforcement.
Black, white...that's all? I don't think so. It was an excuse, nothing more.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM
06montyred
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side Marker

Had a Chevy dealer sell me a truck with a non commercial lic. plate on it. Here in Calif all trucks are registered as commercial. Got stopped for this and returned to the dealer to let them know. They gladly repaid me for the ticket. They could be fined by the state for selling the car this way. Here in CA the ticket is a fix it and does not show on record. The dealer there should do the same.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Parthenon
Instructor

During the stop I handed him my concealed handgun license with my driver's license he actual threw it back at me and said I didn't ask for that. Then proceeded to question me on whether or not I had my weapon on me... When he was done printing out my ticket he dropped it in the front seat and walked off... I sat there wondering if there was more to follow... fortunately there was not. For what it's worth I will file a complaint with the San Antonio police department I don't feel his antics were warranted. You know you try to keep respect but sometimes people’s actions make it difficult....
He may not have asked to see your CHL, but you are REQUIRED BY LAW to produce it when asked for identification by a officer.

If he does not understand that, it is a very important issue that you need to stress to the department when you file complaint.

He probably assumed you thought it was a get-out-of-jail-free card. Sounds like he needs to study some laws that actually MATTER. What a jerk!

Last edited by Parthenon; 03-16-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
To my knowledge, yellow aren't totally illegal on the back. (I can't read thru that long post on the standards too much legalese.)
Yellow side markers on the rear ARE illegal in the U.S. They're required to be red. (Front sides are required to be amber.) The reason for this is that among their purposes is to indicate the direction of the vehicle's travel.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Metal Skull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Yellow side markers on the rear ARE illegal in the U.S. They're required to be red. (Front sides are required to be amber.) The reason for this is that among their purposes is to indicate the direction of the vehicle's travel.
I think we all understand the legality of it. But the LEO could have simply given the OP a warning. The ticket was overkill-- especially since he just purchased the vehicle.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I think we all understand the legality of it. But the LEO could have simply given the OP a warning. The ticket was overkill-- especially since he just purchased the vehicle.
Agreed. My post was only in response to the earlier post that I quoted; that poster clearly didn't understand the illegality of it.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Sammons
Advanced

visited my local dealership lastnight and explained the situation, they said bring it in and they will rectify the situation.

What a pain but now I know. Hopefully someone else can also learn from this situation too.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
PJRed2008
Pro

Bull****. The officer saw an infraction and he stopped the vehicle. Yes, he had the option to not write the citation, but traffic stops oftern lead to more serious issues. No offence to the OP, but we are also getting one side of the conversation. People have talked themselves into citations many times.

I also said nothing about "black and white". Your opinion, nothing else.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
cclive
Team Owner

visited my local dealership lastnight and explained the situation, they said bring it in and they will rectify the situation.

What a pain but now I know. Hopefully someone else can also learn from this situation too.
Too bad you can't save the ambers, there are lots of people who like the european look and would buy them. Same with european taillights.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
PJRed2008
Pro

Originally Posted by Parthenon
He may not have asked to see your CHL, but you are REQUIRED BY LAW to produce it when asked for identification by a officer.
This is interesting. Is this a state law for Texas? I can't find anything for Washington but it sure is worth knowing.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Wow, I feel bad for you, I have been driving around in my C5 that has all blacked lights and reflectors, he must of needed to get his quota and picked on someone out of town

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Side Marker Lights

Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Sammons
Advanced

Now that I've looked I prefer the red lights marker lights over the amber lights but if anyone is interested I'd be willing to let them go...
Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Jesselsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, he can enforce the laws without being a total pr***! It is people like him that gives cops a bad name. There are a lot of good ones but those few that walk around thinking that they are gods are the ones that make people turn against them.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
pomppe
Instructor

Here in Finland, if You import a vette from US, You must change the tail lights and side markers to meet European requirements, UNLESS You have lived Your self in the US atleast 1 year and You import Your Vette ( owned it min. 1 year in US ) as part of Your household belongings. In that case The US requirement lights can stay put.

Quick Reply: Rear Side Marker Lights