C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Grandsport -vs- LS3 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Not to mention the GS has more frontal area. More weight, and more drag. Gear ratios were already available in the Z51 so only improvement would likely be in launching the car with bigger tires and/or launch control. Still pushing more air at the big end. Heck, my mileage dropped just putting the widebody on my car so the extra frontal area/drag does hinder performace at speed I think. Having said that, I think the GS is a great addition and you can thank all of us guys doing widebodies for it.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the LS3 in a non GS is a truck engine whereas the LS3 installed in a GS is a real Corvette engine that is hand built and kissed by virgins before it is installed

the GS gills is a negative pressure zone that sucks warm air out of the engine compartment bringing more cold air in and the Vette engined GS is tuned to take advantage of this, the truck engine LS3 in standard version are thus "detuned" from a GS

there are less parasitic losses in the drive line because the GS uses 0W-30 oil and also lighter oil in the diff, this is not yet documented in the owners manual because they want to get rid of all the old stock of manuals

the GS badges are not just for looks, aerodynamic testing showed a flaw in the widebody design, adding the emblems actually decreases the drag and makes a better front to back weight ratio
Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM
bps999
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

magazine tests are temperature corrected and also not done at a real dragstrip, I wouldn't take them seriously. As for launch control, I doubt that it leads to fast times.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cadguymark
the LS3 in a non GS is a truck engine whereas the LS3 installed in a GS is a real Corvette engine that is hand built and kissed by virgins before it is installed

the GS gills is a negative pressure zone that sucks warm air out of the engine compartment bringing more cold air in and the Vette engined GS is tuned to take advantage of this, the truck engine LS3 in standard version are thus "detuned" from a GS

there are less parasitic losses in the drive line because the GS uses 0W-30 oil and also lighter oil in the diff, this is not yet documented in the owners manual because they want to get rid of all the old stock of manuals

the GS badges are not just for looks, aerodynamic testing showed a flaw in the widebody design, adding the emblems actually decreases the drag and makes a better front to back weight ratio

Well said.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:44 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
I agree about the performance in a straight line being similar, but the wider tires and brakes should allow for better track speed. I would have probably spent the difference between Z51 and GS however for the brakes, wider stance and body work.
The tires and brakes should help on a road course, I'm glad I didn't have to spend more to get a GS over a Z51. I'd still buy a new '09 Z51, MZ6, NPP car over a GS, if I were in the market, but they are few and far between, there are only two Victory Red ones left. I think a TR, 1LT, MN6, NPP, GS Coupe is a very nice car.

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Here are some times tested by C&D all with manual transmissions, Z51's or GS.

Car and Driver Tests 0-60 and 1/4 mile times wih issue dates.

2008 coupe, manual, Z51, NPP 4.0 / 12.4 Sept. 07
2009 coupe, manual, Z51, NPP 4.1 / 12.4 Dec. 08
2010 coupe, manual, GS, NPP 4.1 / 12.5 Nov. 09

Times are consistent
This pretty much says it all, and with the same motor, and trans, what else would anyone expect?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
MJDVET111
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the facts, the answers can become fairly intuitive.

*Take a 09 Z51 v 10 Coupe vs 10 GS
*436hp all around (forget about rumor mills and whisper campaigns)
*GS weights the most with most frontal area
*GS has big rubber and brakes and stiffer suspension
*Z51 and GS have the lower gear ratios

Acceleration:
tossup between GS and Z51. The launch advantage that GS gains with bigger rubber and TC could be offset by Z51's slightly less weight, rolling resistance, and frontal area once they get rolling, ESPECIALLY if Z51 is launched correctly

Road course:
GS. The bigger brakes and rubber become the forefront factor here.

NASCAR style race track:
Z51 or coupe. They're all the same hp, so the two with the least rolling resistance and frontal area win here
Old 03-10-2010, 04:12 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cadguymark

Regarding the GS emblems,Due to their obvious heft I new there had to be a functional reason behind them .BRILLIANT!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 PM
sranger
Racer

Wider tires..... Why make this complicated....
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 PM
6spdgs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry fellows but why ? Go to the track and see how your car does, all else is hypothetical BS. I have a 6 spd mn, and I'm sure on a good day I would have good times but on a bad day guess what ? Question was bogus and just an attention getter. How many Forum readers race their vettes or race their stock vettes ?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM
MJDVET111
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6spdgs
Sorry fellows but why ? Go to the track and see how your car does, all else is hypothetical BS. I have a 6 spd mn, and I'm sure on a good day I would have good times but on a bad day guess what ? Question was bogus and just an attention getter. How many Forum readers race their vettes or race their stock vettes ?
Don't think the question was bogus. He was asking or trying to understand why the GS may or may not be quicker. That is not hypothetical BS. You can analyze the diffs between the cars and figure out what the results should be. Whereas your point refers to driver skill. But saying that a really good race driver in a Z51 can wax an average driver in a Z06 on a road course does not make the Z51 a faster car...just a better driver.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by sranger
Wider tires..... Why make this complicated....
Because it's already been proven that it's the 150 hp gained from the dry sump oiling system that makes the GS faster!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Originally Posted by crabman
The manual gets the old Z51 gearbox which has 1st through 3rd lowered in relation to direct which is 4th. Both cars are traction limited off the line which makes for a similar 60' but the extra dig shows up as you get further down the pipe. One of the engineers stated that the dry sump wixom engines which go only in the manual GS are actually running above rated spec in hp. End user dyno runs seem to confirm that these engines are a little stronger. Think its a coincidence that this is also the "hero" car that ends up gettiing tested in the print mags and such?
I have heard the same thing from fellow Corvette club members, that the dry sump (manual trans. GS) LS3 engines are stronger than the regular LS3. Revised GS gearing also helps, no doubt. -Clark
Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
6spdgs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJDVET111
Don't think the question was bogus. He was asking or trying to understand why the GS may or may not be quicker. That is not hypothetical BS. You can analyze the diffs between the cars and figure out what the results should be. Whereas your point refers to driver skill. But saying that a really good race driver in a Z51 can wax an average driver in a Z06 on a road course does not make the Z51 a faster car...just a better driver.
Thanks for validating point that question was bogus it all depends on driver, not car. Rear wheel HP is same, drag is different, gearing same times are 4.0 to 4.1 secs. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE DRIVER !!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 734 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkakirby
I have heard the same thing from fellow Corvette club members, that the dry sump (manual trans. GS) LS3 engines are stronger than the regular LS3. Revised GS gearing also helps, no doubt. -Clark
The main purpose of the GS's dry sump pump is to separate oil/air mixture that collects at the bottom of the oil pan caused from sloshing. The oil/air mixture is pumped up into the dry sump tank. Then separated in the sump tank and the conditioned oil is pumped back down into cooler and then into the engine.
GM uses a forged steel crank in the GS manual coupes for the dry sump system. The steel crank has an extended nose allowing attachment to a dual stage oil pump. The battery is relocated in the back in order to make room for the sump tank.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 03-11-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Broker171
Any ideas why the Grandsport is quicker then the LS3 coupe?

The 60' times are the same, but the GS seems to move quicker thru the quarter mile 3-4 tenths quicker in tests.

Was there a difference in the LS3 or Intake on the new GS's?
Gm wants to sell them. With more weight in the body and more wind drag and more unsprung weight. Same horse power
It cannot and It would have to be proven to me as I think
I'm quite sure a lt1 z-51. Would win over a GS!
So I don't think the factory is going say the more expensive car is slower.
No way in hell do they win a race to 150mph. Most likely gets a few lengths behind a base car even. At high speed! 28cd vs 34cd 34 needs
more power to go fast!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Here are some times tested by C&D all with manual transmissions, Z51's or GS.

Car and Driver Tests 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with issue dates.

2008 coupe, manual, Z51, NPP 4.0 / 12.4 Sept. 07
2009 coupe, manual, Z51, NPP 4.1 / 12.4 Dec. 08
2010 coupe, manual, GS, NPP 4.1 / 12.5 Nov. 09

Times are consistent
Here looks like the real story!
Less weight, less drag. The longer the race the more the spread.
The Gs may be able to put more down on the start. With bigger
rubber. But that hurts it the faster it goes.
the times to 150 would show the car with the less weight less drag
pulling.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

There was a video out there shortly after the C6 hit the streets showing an A4 against a C5Z at various speeds from a roll where it took somewhat of a beating. From a standing start though the A4 took a little bit of a lead and never looked back. This pretty much is what I have seen real world as well. My own brother has a C6 and we have "compared" many times. His Z51 mine without. No matter what who ever grabs a jump off the line will never get caught on clean pulls. I do mean never. I have also "compared" with friends, same story. Dont care which car it is, A4, A6, Z51, no Z51, no difference. Whoever gets out of the hole first will not get caught, ever. I cant say I have done so with a GS as no one I know who lives close enough has picked one up yet but I will. I fully expect the same result. I say this because every time a new variation comes out it seems some want it to suck, others like to tout its superiority over all others. I guess I just dont understand what all the chest thumping is about. Real world it will come down to the man, not the machine.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Grandsport -vs- LS3 Coupe

Old 03-11-2010, 04:08 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nd4spd2
Not to mention the GS has more frontal area. More weight, and more drag. Gear ratios were already available in the Z51 so only improvement would likely be in launching the car with bigger tires and/or launch control. Still pushing more air at the big end. Heck, my mileage dropped just putting the widebody on my car so the extra frontal area/drag does hinder performace at speed I think. Having said that, I think the GS is a great addition and you can thank all of us guys doing widebodies for it.
I recall reading a post several months ago that stated that the top speed of the GS was well below the base car. That makes sense since the GS has Z06 wind resistance but not Z06 hp.

The GS is also heavier as was stated and not a trivial amount.

So the gear ratios are different......a tenth or two or even four is withing driver and track condition variation. I don't think there have been enough side by side runs yet to know the true answer.

But....how a car with the same hp, that's heavier, that has considerably more wind drag....how that car is going to be faster just doesn't pencil out for me.

I agree that a 1lt LS3 coupe would probably beat a GS in the quarter with equal drivers side by side so track conditions were the same. I don't necessarily agree that the GS would come out ahead in a roadcourse against the same base car.

It has bigger brakes but there is still the extra weight and wind resistance.

This whole discussion is about what's called "purchase validation" in marketing textbooks. Having spent a lot more money for the GS than for a Z-51 or non Z-51 base car the buyer needs to "validate" the decision by convincing himself that his GS actually IS faster. I mean, it has to be faster right?

It looks like a Z06 and the engineer , after all, did wink right? So the new GS simply has to be faster. That's what this is all about. If and when the GS's actually start to show consistent faster times than base cars then we can look for reason. But right now people are looking for the reasons in advance, for the most part, of the actual tests.

All these "winks" and rumors about hand assembled and this and that fantasy.....it's only going to be when lots of numbers can be compared that the answer will be known.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Broker171
MT tested the 2008 LS3 @ 12.5 then later the GS at 12.1

They themselves were questioning if Chevy had made changes to the LS3 as the 60 foot times on both cars and gearing were identical. So the extra rubber on the GS wasn't a factor. So what was?
Could be a lot of things. Different day, weather, driver etc. I'd bet that if you lined two of them side by side and ran through the gears they would be dead even.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 AM
C6Corvet
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. Grand Sport. It's one of the most storied monikers in Corvette's illustrious racing heritage and it is returning the lineup. Chevrolet announced the new, 2010 Corvette Grand Sport at the 12th annunal C5/C6 Corvette Birthday Bash, held at the National Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, Ky.

The new Grand Sport model combines the Corvette's LS3-based power train with unique, wide-body styling and a racetrack-bred suspension for a distinctive, starting grid-ready performer. It is offered in both coupe and convertible body styles, with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. The LS3 6.2L engine is rated at 430 horsepower (321 kW)* and 424 lb.- ft. of torque (575 Nm)* with the standard exhaust system. An optional two-mode exhaust system elevates the power ratings to 436 horses (325 kW) and 428 lb.-ft. (580 Nm) p-->

The Grand Sport replaces the Corvettes previous Z51 package and brings a greater degree of handling performance, with wider wheels and tires; revised shock, stabilizer bar and spring specifications and specific gearing. The equipment enables cornering capability of 1.0 g, as well as a 0.2-second improvement in 0-60 acceleration vs. standard LS3-powered models.

Grand Sport coupe models equipped with the manual transmission are uniquely outfitted for racetrack competition, too, with a dry-sump oiling system, differential cooler and a rear-mounted ba ttery.

The complete list of content and special features for the Grand Sport includes:

*Wider front and rear fenders; including specific front fenders with integrated Grand Sport badges
*Z06-style front splitter and tall rear spoiler
*Functional brake ducts and extra cooling
*Unique 18-inch front and 19-inch wheels; painted finish standard and chrome finish optional
*Large 275/35ZR18 tires in front and 325/30ZR19 tires in the rear
*Z06-size brakes, including 14-inch (355 mm) front rotors with six-piston calipers and 13.4-inch (340 mm) rear rotors with four-piston calipers
*Specific manual transmission gear ratios
*Specific rear axle ratio on automatic-equipped models

With its special equipment, the Grand Sport offers a unique blend of performance and amenities. Its suspension package approaches that of the Z06, but includes a removable roof on coupes (Z06 has a fixed roof) and, of course, the availability of a convertible body style. Also, the paddle-shift six-speed automatic transmission is offered, while a manual transmission is the only choice with the Z06. All of Corvette's exterior colors are offered on the Grand Sport and an available Heritage package adds iconic front fender hash marks offered in four colors, as well as two-tone seats with Grand Sport embroidery. The Grand Sport can be ordered with 1LT, 2LT, 3LT and 4LT trim packages, too.

This is what I found to answer any questions

Quick Reply: LS3 Grandsport -vs- LS3 Coupe