C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Blem Grandsport UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
sam_b
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVE MC
With all due respect, I think your making too much out of all of this. It is great that GM is going to make it right for you, but your Vette is not going to be worth any more due to this mix up.
Mod away and enjoy you new car.
Enjoy the car and have fun! Mod away.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Dan Dlabay
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

A big + for GM to correct thier error. If I was you I would go ahead and do the mods you what to do. I have never heard of a car with a factory defect being considered as a rare car that would command more money.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:05 AM
mgtr
Pro

Hey, anytime that I can get through to a real person (and not some computer program) and that person speaks American English, I figure that the battle is about 3/4 won. Granted, that doesn't happen very often, but it did happen to me today in another context altogether. Once I got this real American speaking person, my problem was resolved fully in less that 30 seconds. Hard to beat good luck!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 AM
kon_gee
Racer

Again...........Thanks all for your honest opinions! I plan to move forward with the mods and enjoy the wheels off this thing

Gary
Old 03-06-2010, 08:38 AM
bubba871
Instructor

I have been a car collector for 30 years and it is absolutely true that your car will never have additional value because of the seat error. Its just a seat and if they don't match it will actually hurt the value. No one wants mismatched seats in their car. If it accidently had the 7.0 engine put in at the factory you would really have something!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Dan Dlabay
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember years ago a local Chevy dealer got in a 69 SS 396 Camaro. It was sold to a customer who after he got the car home noticed it had aluminum heads on. Turned out that the factory had accidentally put in a L-88 427 in the car. Never did hear what happen to the car.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kon_gee
I think this case is well "above and beyond" the call of duty. Good customer service in my case would be for Kerbeck to organize the replacement of my bottom seat skin (the real mistake) at a local dealer. The local dealer gladly and professionally replaces my seat skin and then sends the other one back to their supplier. I chose to keep the 4LT skin and then Kerbeck agreed to purchase me a new one. This way it would not fall under the warranty so the 4LT seat skin is not returned. Kerbeck also called the Assembly plant which is a good practice anytime there are quality issues. The assembly plant offering me a complete new seat and I get to keep the 4LT That is "above and beyond".
Here on the forum some have said a new seat/s is what they would expect in my situation but no one has said they would expect to keep the 4LT seat too so this is "above and beyond" as well.
Gary
Good for you Gary and I'm happy they are taking good care of you. I admit that I don't know all the details, but just let me say that it does not surprise me that they would not want to take the seat back. I sure don't want to buy a new Corvette and find out they put someone's returned seat into my car and I suspect the factory does not allow for that to happen ( I hope so anyway). I suppose Kerbeck could have kept the seat on the off chance they would have a customer come in wanting to buy a single seat, but again very highly unlikely so letting you keep it is the right/smart thing to do for many reasons. My guess is the factory ate the cost of the mix-up and let you keep the seat for the reasons I outlined above.

I'm not convinced that the good folks at the factory didn't volunteer to send out a new replacement seat of your choice at no charge and did not require the return of the old one. Like I said, I sure hope the factory does not routinely install used/refurbished and/or returned parts into brand new cars on the assembly line.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just departing what I suspect probably happened. It's human nature for the dealership and good business relations to try and take as much credit as possible to impress you and hopefully earn your return business. However, I would be shocked to see a invoice showing this mix-up cost them a dime. It's the factories error and their responsibility to fix it. I doubt that simply sending out a new skin to the dealer to install over the old seat was ever a option that was even discussed by the factory.

The bottom line is I'm happy they are doing the right thing and that you seem to be satisfied with the process. That's what's most important!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 578 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVE MC
With all due respect, I think your making too much out of all of this. It is great that GM is going to make it right for you, but your Vette is not going to be worth any more due to this mix up.
Mod away and enjoy you new car.
Eactly what I was going to say.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:26 AM
RPHCRMZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by WLDHRSE

I would also be parking that extra seat in my garage, aimed at a 50" plazma. just a thought.....

and don't forget to hook up the electric's so you have a power seat to watch tv

Quick Reply: Factory Blem Grandsport UPDATE!