C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is JetStreamBlue paint so damn expensive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I ran into the same thing when I ordered my 2009 JSB Coupe. When ordering the car the salesman called the dealers body shop and they said they could paint the Fuel Rails for $100, M and L, when the car came in. When the car arrived and the BS was preparing to do the rails they found out the materials alone would be over $300. There is something in the blue that makes it so expensive. They could leave this expensive part out and the color would be close to the body color but it would not really match. I passed and finally bought the Rails from RPI. So, I think there is something expensive about JSB. This is a very large Chevy dealer and they had no experience with the JSB prior to me and the Rails.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM
2010c6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
I ran into the same thing when I ordered my 2009 JSB Coupe. When ordering the car the salesman called the dealers body shop and they said they could paint the Fuel Rails for $100, M and L, when the car came in. When the car arrived and the BS was preparing to do the rails they found out the materials alone would be over $300. There is something in the blue that makes it so expensive. They could leave this expensive part out and the color would be close to the body color but it would not really match. I passed and finally bought the Rails from RPI. So, I think there is something expensive about JSB. This is a very large Chevy dealer and they had no experience with the JSB prior to me and the Rails.
I have JSB and wanted to paint a few items, ordered some paint and got a call that it would be over $300 pt. They claim that that multi color pearl we see in our paint is a special pearl and costs big $$. I guess that is why our color is so unique and cool
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM
TrenAman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010c6
I have JSB and wanted to paint a few items, ordered some paint and got a call that it would be over $300 pt. They claim that that multi color pearl we see in our paint is a special pearl and costs big $$. I guess that is why our color is so unique and cool
This is exactly what I was told. The guy who did this is a friend of 33yrs and has never charged me anything other than cost. I can say the job he did is unreal how close it came out.. Any JSB owner that gets a full length spoiler painted or the rear valence knows what I am talking about..
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
vettnut69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TrenAman
$500 just in paint alone for rear widebody fenders.. no idea what it would cost if my hook-up actually charged me labor!! I would guess it would cost close to $1K.. Some seriously expensive stuff!
He is getting labor cost just not calling it that....
Old 03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Diamond
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I just pulled the color up. Contains VM 4164 limited use toner. Most shops probably dont have that on their mixing bank. I know I don't. Don't know the price of that right off hand, but I would bet a pint would be close to $400. 45 grams are all that are needed in a pint of paint if you were to mix it though. That is why the high cost.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Diamond
I just pulled the color up. Contains VM 4164 limited use toner. Most shops probably dont have that on their mixing bank. I know I don't. Don't know the price of that right off hand, but I would bet a pint would be close to $400. 45 grams are all that are needed in a pint of paint if you were to mix it though. That is why the high cost.
that explains it!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:13 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Get a quote from a forum car dealership and compare the prices. I agree with others that JSB, although beautiful, should not cost $500 for the paint. I suspect that he is rolling the labor costs in the paint charge and deceiving you at some level.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy some quasar blue and add a bunch of white to make it look washed out and you'll have jetstream blue.

Just kidding. I like JSB. But with that said, it will never be in the same league as quasar blue.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
Get a quote from a forum car dealership and compare the prices. I agree with others that JSB, although beautiful, should not cost $500 for the paint. I suspect that he is rolling the labor costs in the paint charge and deceiving you at some level.
dealerships charge 900-$1200 for this in JSB
Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I just dropped off two z06 quarters to get painted, I am putting them on the car so i literally just dropped off the quarters...$372.XX with tax...my car is an 08 jsb
Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Diamond
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by PolishDude
I just dropped off two z06 quarters to get painted, I am putting them on the car so i literally just dropped off the quarters...$372.XX with tax...my car is an 08 jsb
Did you get a decent match?

Quick Reply: Why is JetStreamBlue paint so damn expensive!!!