C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent- auto gear locked out of R and P

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent- auto gear locked out of R and P

Automatic 2007 coupe 3lt z51. Just bought the car a few days ago, has 11k mi. on it. Just got it home, can not shift into reverse or park! off or on, brakes, no brakes, just goes between Drive and Neutral. Had foot on and off the brake while trying to do this. Dash reads shift to park, but can't. Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by chgoblue; 02-23-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: missing words
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

When you press the brake can you hear any noise inside the cabin at all? Pressing the brake should release the lock allowing the car to go into park, d, etc... I'm not a mechanic though, there are other people on here more knowledgeable i/m sure.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 PM
kadramma
Heel & Toe

Probably a Park-Lock soleniod malfuction. The soleniod is located on the shift lever, and activates when you press on the brake to unlock the gear shift lever to allow a shift to reverse or park position. Press on the brake pedal with the ignition on and see if you can hear a small clicking sound each time you depress the brake pedal, if you do not, the soleniod needs to be replaced. You have to remove the console and gear shift lever assimbly to get to it. Good Luck. I had the same problem on a road trip, and took a piece of wire to hold back the spring lock release, until I could get repaired with a replacement shift assembly.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3L337 C6
When you press the brake can you hear any noise inside the cabin at all? Pressing the brake should release the lock allowing the car to go into park, d, etc... I'm not a mechanic though, there are other people on here more knowledgeable i/m sure.
No noise heard when pressing the brake. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by kadramma
Probably a Park-Lock soleniod malfuction. The soleniod is located on the shift lever, and activates when you press on the brake to unlock the gear shift lever to allow a shift to reverse or park position. Press on the brake pedal with the ignition on and see if you can hear a small clicking sound each time you depress the brake pedal, if you do not, the soleniod needs to be replaced. You have to remove the console and gear shift lever assimbly to get to it. Good Luck. I had the same problem on a road trip, and took a piece of wire to hold back the spring lock release, until I could get repaired with a replacement shift assembly.
Thanks, I'll check again. but I don't think there was any sound, be back.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by kadramma
I don't hear anything, but then I didn't when it was working right, but I wasn't listening for anything either. What you're suggesting makes sense, the tranny's fine, it's something simple, but really complicates your life, man.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You've just defined 'electronics'.

Cars were much simpler when they were just 'mechanical'.

Good Luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:06 AM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chgoblue
Automatic 2007 coupe 3lt z51. Just bought the car a few days ago, has 11k mi. on it. Just got it home, can not shift into reverse or park! off or on, brakes, no brakes, just goes between Drive and Neutral. Had foot on and off the brake while trying to do this. Dash reads shift to park, but can't. Anyone know anything about this?
You're gonna need to replace the entire shifter assembly as I just had the exact same thing happen last week to a friend's car and it's a common problem unfortunately. If it helps any, you should be able to at least get it into Reverse by squeezing the shifter button as hard as you can while trying to move it from Neutral.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
You're gonna need to replace the entire shifter assembly as I just had the exact same thing happen last week to a friend's car and it's a common problem unfortunately. If it helps any, you should be able to at least get it into Reverse by squeezing the shifter button as hard as you can while trying to move it from Neutral.
I also have an '07 A6. This exact same problem happened to me while driving back from Florida just before Thanksgiving 2007, and again while home a month later. The dealership untangled the linkage the first time. The second time they replaced it under warranty. No troubles since then.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:00 AM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Quick fix for the dealer. The reverse lockout pin is broken in the shifter.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

My 2005 A-4 does a similiar thing. When I shut off car and it is in Park gear the DIC says "Shift to Park" and keeps chimming. I push the button on the automatic once and that stops it.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chgoblue
No noise heard when pressing the brake. Thanks.
Taillights work OK?

From post #6 at http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-in-drive.html

"Check your brake light fuse. If the tranny isn't sensing that the brake is on it wont shift passed N. I've seen the same thing happen but in park. No brake signal shifter wont move."

A weak/dying battery might prevent something electrical from working properly, like the brake switch or the solenoid in the shifter console, which prevented you from shifting.

A new battery seemed to fix it here (post #28 & 29) http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...urn-off-2.html

But I DO NOT suggest you force the shifter! Might do more harm than good.

This is definitely fixable. Let us know what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Urgent- auto gear locked out of R and P

Quick Reply: Urgent- auto gear locked out of R and P