C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass Roof "spider-webbing"

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:07 AM
TheTrooper73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass Roof "spider-webbing"

With the recent Roof recall, I thought for sure I was going to be in the line-up for a new roof based on the issue I'm having...but, I'm a 2007 7511VIN, so I'm "safe" on the recall, plus my understanding now is that its only for the non-glass roofs" BUT, now I'd like to know if anyone else is having/had this problem:

When i first bought the car (2nd owner, 1st was leased by a GM employee) the roof had one spot in the front left (driver's side) that looked like it had a hairline crack in it..but nothing that could be felt, just a look to it that it had a small "crack" near the front corner.

Since then I've driven the car for maybe 13K, 90% of which is long-distance highway driving.

Recently, between my 2 deployments, I was detailing the car and noticed the entire driver's side is starting to "spider-web" crack--but again, nothing noticeable to the touch, just the look of it. Also, its not spider-webbed from the original "crack" i saw, but rather just random spider-webs throughout the driver's side. It has definitely gotten worse and the roof has not been dropped or even removed but once since I bought it.

Is this stress fractures? common? anyone else have this problem? Is there a "fix" other than ordering a new roof?

On that same note, my headlights have a similar issue, but not cracked, just look "different," and in my case, since they are illegally and slightly tinted (yes, ILLEGAL, no comments--the entire car's tint is illegal ), the "different" part is more noticeable when the lights are on. I'm sure some of this is from the heat, but they were like that BEFORE the tint---anyone have this issue either?

Sorry, can't post pics of the cracks unless I can get my brother out to his garage and uncover it--I'm deployed again.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Wightmn
Instructor

Default Top

Had the same issue. You can't feel the cracks but they are visable. Mine were more pronounced from the outside than the interior view out. Dealer replaced the top under warranty. Never even questioned it.

Good Luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTrooper73
With the recent Roof recall, I thought for sure I was going to be in the line-up for a new roof based on the issue I'm having...but, I'm a 2007 7511VIN, so I'm "safe" on the recall, plus my understanding now is that its only for the non-glass roofs" BUT, now I'd like to know if anyone else is having/had this problem:

When i first bought the car (2nd owner, 1st was leased by a GM employee) the roof had one spot in the front left (driver's side) that looked like it had a hairline crack in it..but nothing that could be felt, just a look to it that it had a small "crack" near the front corner.

Since then I've driven the car for maybe 13K, 90% of which is long-distance highway driving.

Recently, between my 2 deployments, I was detailing the car and noticed the entire driver's side is starting to "spider-web" crack--but again, nothing noticeable to the touch, just the look of it. Also, its not spider-webbed from the original "crack" i saw, but rather just random spider-webs throughout the driver's side. It has definitely gotten worse and the roof has not been dropped or even removed but once since I bought it.

Is this stress fractures? common? anyone else have this problem? Is there a "fix" other than ordering a new roof?

On that same note, my headlights have a similar issue, but not cracked, just look "different," and in my case, since they are illegally and slightly tinted (yes, ILLEGAL, no comments--the entire car's tint is illegal ), the "different" part is more noticeable when the lights are on. I'm sure some of this is from the heat, but they were like that BEFORE the tint---anyone have this issue either?

Sorry, can't post pics of the cracks unless I can get my brother out to his garage and uncover it--I'm deployed again.
bumper to bumper for 36000 miles its lexan not glass. If its cosmetic they may replace the first 12 mos 12000 miles they do cosmetics.
z51vett
Old 01-31-2010, 09:43 AM
TheTrooper73
Advanced

well, I knew it wasn't actually GLASS...in fact, i thought I put glass in quotes.

BUT...I'm over the warranty in all respects, so I was just wondering if it was somewhat "normal" as i'd hate to buy another one and have the same thing happen once I take the car to Germany after this deployment.

Was debating about color-matched non-lexan top as well.

Wightmn, mine is on the outside as well, not inside.

Thanks for the replies. Basically looks like I'm going to be buying a new roof if I don't want to see it.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 AM
piva242
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wightmn
Had the same issue. You can't feel the cracks but they are visable. Mine were more pronounced from the outside than the interior view out. Dealer replaced the top under warranty. Never even questioned it.

Good Luck.
Exact same situation with my '07. Had it replaced by the dealer just before my warranty ended - no questions asked.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 AM
LVFR2DY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by piva242
Exact same situation with my '07. Had it replaced by the dealer just before my warranty ended - no questions asked.
me too...i was told by dealership its the AZ sun....
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 AM
mrtoner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both the clear top and the headlight covers are molded of Polycarbonate, a clear, extremely high impact resistant plastic.

It's downfall is being cleaned by any solvents unless specifically 'ok to use on polycarbonate'.

The reason is that these solvents alter the chemistry and induce surface cracks [spider webbing] on those areas under the greatest stress. Continued use of solvents just makes it worse.

I do not know what was used to tint the headlight covers, but in the prep process, if anything like MEK or acetone or even 'Goof Off' can cause problems.

When cleaning the top, DO NOT USE Invisible Glass. It clearly states on the can that it is not for these tops. I made that mistake and learned the hard way - in 1 year, my top developed dozens of spider webs before I realized what was going on.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by mrtoner
Both the clear top and the headlight covers are molded of Polycarbonate, a clear, extremely high impact resistant plastic.

It's downfall is being cleaned by any solvents unless specifically 'ok to use on polycarbonate'.

The reason is that these solvents alter the chemistry and induce surface cracks [spider webbing] on those areas under the greatest stress. Continued use of solvents just makes it worse.

I do not know what was used to tint the headlight covers, but in the prep process, if anything like MEK or acetone or even 'Goof Off' can cause problems.

When cleaning the top, DO NOT USE Invisible Glass. It clearly states on the can that it is not for these tops. I made that mistake and learned the hard way - in 1 year, my top developed dozens of spider webs before I realized what was going on.

Sadly, the most common damage to the tops and lights is typically owner induced. The original crack that you (the OP) found was structural issue that was corrected in subsequent years. The spider web which actually called "crazing" is a byproduct of chemical exposure of the polycarbonate and more specifically the UV protective hard coating that is on the hardcoating.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Just be careful what you use in cleaning the top. Soap and water is all it really needs. But, if you want to use a cleaner/polish... I have used Honda cleaner/polish for motorcycles for years without any problems. or try Plexus. Stay away from glass cleaners.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 AM
AKc62007
Instructor

I have a 2007 and i have the cracks as well they look like thin lines of hair on the glass. I tired to get it replaced by the dealer with no luck i have an extend warranty they said will not cover cosmetic damage. Any advice on getting them to replace it? new ones are not cheap?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

I had webbing in my roof as well.... couldnt get it replaced even under warranty. some people have had better luck but most have failed in their attemp to have gm replace it for them. I sold my roof for 550 then bought a brand new one for 800. Its complete bullsh*t and we as vette owners shouldnt have to go through this but hey comes with the territory i guess.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AKc62007
I have a 2007 and i have the cracks as well they look like thin lines of hair on the glass. I tired to get it replaced by the dealer with no luck i have an extend warranty they said will not cover cosmetic damage. Any advice on getting them to replace it? new ones are not cheap?
The GMPP extended warranty does not cover glass or body panels, so it won't pay for a new top. We discovered that with our C5.

Used transparent tops are available, but the older they are then the more likely to have cracks/crazing or develop them soon. Shipping is difficult and expensive, and UPS/FedEx will go to any length to avoid paying a damage claim on them.

The only used top I would buy is one that I could first install on my car and examine carefully from the inside and outside, on a bright sunny day. Then pay a low price, put it in my trunk and drive home.

New ones are not cheap, but I think the lower price on used ones is frequently still not a good deal. Maybe you can show a local dealer the price for a new top from one of the Forum dealers, get a good price. GM parts come with a 1 year (?) warranty, but may need to be installed by a dealer to get that warranty. Someone else can answer that question. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by brooklync5
I had webbing in my roof as well.... couldnt get it replaced even under warranty. some people have had better luck but most have failed in their attemp to have gm replace it for them. I sold my roof for 550 then bought a brand new one for 800. Its complete bullsh*t and we as vette owners shouldnt have to go through this but hey comes with the territory i guess.
We've had several people in our area get transparent tops replaced under warranty, at 2 different dealers.

Our 2006 had three warranty tops because of cracks, the dealer said "We're gonna keep throwing tops at it until one of them sticks!" The last one was perfect until we sold the car.

Our 2009 came new from an out-of-state dealer with ridges and crazing in the top, also replaced under warranty by our local dealer.

I'm not that good looking, either.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 1" crack in mine near the front on the drivers side.
Never used cleaners other than soap and always garage parked.
Never been dropped, bumped etc.
Just another defective poor quality GM part.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Sadly, the most common damage to the tops and lights is typically owner induced. The original crack that you (the OP) found was structural issue that was corrected in subsequent years. The spider web which actually called "crazing" is a byproduct of chemical exposure of the polycarbonate and more specifically the UV protective hard coating that is on the hardcoating.
I use Plexus which is also used on airplane cockpit (lexan) windows. It protects against UV light and makes the little cracks less visible.

Fred

Old 03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

GM Glass Cleaner, a white foamy stuff available from the dealer, is good for the transparent top and also (in moderation) the interior gauge faces. Works so well on regular glass that I stopped using Stoners.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:37 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Wightmn

Good Luck.
Dealer replaced mine also....good luck

and THANKS!

Get notified of new replies

To Glass Roof "spider-webbing"

Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5

Great price and im loving it till today! I haven't put my solid top back on since that day!

As a side note I did notice the webbing but only certain times of day. Guess I can live with it for now!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by fred_S
I use Plexus which is also used on airplane cockpit (lexan) windows. It protects against UV light and makes the little cracks less visible.

Fred

I use this product too. I haven't had any problems mentioned. But most of the time my transparent top stays in the closet.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:05 AM
2SlowinTO
Racer

I wonder if I buy one with the spider cracks and go to the dealer and try to get it replaced, would they ever look up if that was a factory option on my car?

And, is the car relevant?

I doubt you could walk in with the roof, and no car, and get a replacement roof???

Quick Reply: Glass Roof "spider-webbing"