C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to deodorize seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,892 Likes on 797 Posts

Once with my company car (Crown Vic) we went fishing and had a container of worms for bait. Someway some of the little fellas crawled out and got under the trunk mat (I didnt know it). Well, after some hot sunny days, the car started to stink like hell. Tore it apart looking for something until I got under the trunk mat. There they were....all roasted and stinky. A good cleaning and it was gone.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM
SlasherMcGee
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
He may have farted in that seat.

Which if he did, then you have an entirely different set of problems.

You say above: "The previous owner smoked in the car but the smell is not smoke..."

Thats a dead giveaway that it's a seat cushion filled with residue from farts from as far back as who knows when.

There are two effective ways to manage your problem, one more expensive than the other.

You can remove the seats and take a broomstick and attempt to beat the farts out of the cushions.

If that fails, then you are looking at buying new seats.

I'm hoping that your carpeting has not been affected as well, since the dietary habits, and the length of the previuos owner's commutes, will have an affect as well.

Good luck.
LOL this was a classic posts...something made me giggle about this one
Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM
AR-55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...seriously. I own a cleaning company (22 years). We use ozonators in our business for cigarette smoke in homes and apts. When I bought my vette it had 1003 miles on it and came with a perfume type odor. Could of been a freshener, don't know, and didn't care. Two hours of letting the ozonator run with windows and doors closed......smells like a new car. The odor never returned. TRY IT!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Does it smell like tuna??
Old 01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

your never gonna get smoke out of the seats. the smoke soaks in the pores of the leather and right into the foam. never by a car off a crack head.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 PM
REPZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Previous owner could of spilled a bottle of cheap perfume in the car and it soaked into the foam of the seats. That would suck. Like AR-55 said try the ozonator.

good luck
Old 12-07-2015, 03:16 PM
wantaC6Z
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ozone generator +100000. Its the only thing I've heard and known to work on nasty smells. If you are sure the car is completely clean then rent/buy an Ozone generator (Amazon sells a small personal unit for $80). If you have a really nasty example, then possible steaming and such to really kill any sort of germs/residue/stains first, then dry then OZONE!!!
Old 12-07-2015, 03:38 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
Check for rotting meat some where in the car.... Sounds like a funny or stupid comment I know but here is an honest to God true story.

4 years ago I had a 2005 Mustang as a DD in California and my wife used the car at night occassionally for her errand running.

One day I noticed a strange smell in the car but didn't think too much of it but then daily for about a 2 week period the smell kept getting worse and stronger. It was so bad I put the car on ramps to make sure I didn't hit an animal and it was rotting in the frame somewhere. I pulled the seats, I pulled the carpet, I pulled the sound deadening material and bleached the entire inside of the vehicle but the smell was still there.

Finally decided I should check the trunk and it turns out about a week before I noticed the smell my wife went grocery shopping and when her and I both unloaded the car (I can't solely blame her since I helped) we didn't see a package of 16 chicken legs that slid under into the spare tire wheel well on the back side of the trunk. That package sat rotting for several weeks in that hidden spot.

As bad as it smelled, Thanks goodness the package was still sealed because the meat was so decomposed that it had fallen off the bones and was like a greenish soupy mess inside the package. It was N-A-S-T-Y!!

Needless to say I then stripped the trunk and deorderized that and in about a week, the smell totally disappeared.

It's one of those smells you never forget.

Anyway, like I noted earlier.... check for rotting meat! :o)
OK, here goes. Many years ago my mother-in-law owned a '72 Plymouth Scamp. Great little 318 V8 coupe. She had gone to the grocery store and placed her bags of groceries in the rear seat. When she got home she realized that one of the chicken TV dinners was missing. She went back to the store with the receipt and raised hell and they replaced the missing item with profuse apologies. For months after that she, and all her little old lady friends from the sr. citizens apartment complex, noticed that the old Scamp was smelling worse and worse. That must have gone on for over a year. Finally, she brought it over to our house so I could tune it up for her. When I fired it up and test drove it I noticed the aroma. I started looking around and there, right under the driver's seat, was that missing TV dinner. The box had bulged up to about twice normal thickness because of all the outgassing from the rotten food within. I went and got some gloves and carefully extracted that little stink bomb from under the seat and tossed it in our garbage can. The car eventually aired out, but the damn thing stuck to the bottom of the garbage can and, after the garbage men had left it behind for about three weeks, I had to grab a shovel and break it loose. GAD! What a stench!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:00 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Another almost 6 year old thread back from the dead!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guy...liminator.html
Old 12-08-2015, 03:17 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use this in my car on everything. It leaves a nice leather smell scent.

Amazon.com: Chemical Guys SPI10916 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit - 16 oz. (2 Items): Automotive Amazon.com: Chemical Guys SPI10916 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit - 16 oz. (2 Items): Automotive
Old 12-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Quick Reply: How to deodorize seats