C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dead battery drain problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 PM
semaj3213
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead battery drain problem

I have a 2006 c6 convertible. I do not drive it daily. If it sits for more than 3-5 days without driving daily the battery goes dead. I have removed all types of lights, switches, modules, etc. and it is driving me crazy. This is the only thing that pulled up on carfax that at 3000 miles it was jump started and again shortly there after. I installed a brand new DIEHARD and believe this is killing this battery as well. Does anyone know what to do next?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's assume your C6 has no elec issues (not necessarily a good assumption -- you may have to get it checked at the dealer).

When it sits 3-5 days, the C6 electronics drain the battery.

If you just drive a short distance, the battery drains further. That's because the C6 recharge system is marginal and takes ~30 minutes of driving to replace the energy used to start the car.

If you just run short stop-and-restart errands, you're killing the battery.

The OEM battery is not a deep-charge design. So each time it dies, it never recovers full capacity. And will die quicker again.

To prevent problems in a healthy C6, get a battery tender/maintainer. It will keep your battery charged -- especially important for less-frequent winter use & colder temps. And its maintainance cycle will give you max battery life.

It might also hide elec problems which can prematurely kill your battery. Some possibilities and many related threads: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ocked-out.html
The following 2 users liked this post by CO Lightfoot:
cmonkey713 (08-30-2023), coupe35 (07-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by semaj3213
I have a 2006 c6 convertible. I do not drive it daily. If it sits for more than 3-5 days without driving daily the battery goes dead. I have removed all types of lights, switches, modules, etc. and it is driving me crazy. This is the only thing that pulled up on carfax that at 3000 miles it was jump started and again shortly there after. I installed a brand new DIEHARD and believe this is killing this battery as well. Does anyone know what to do next?
Well, this doesn't sound normal, unless the few times when you do drive it are just short trips.

I would recommend a Deltran Battery Tender - even a Jr model - and keep it on your battery when you're not driving it. I'm still on the OEM battery in my '07 after 3-1/2 years and it works just fine.

Still, it sounds like there is something else going on here.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well

Originally Posted by semaj3213
If I were you, I would pull one cable on the battery, and hook up a amp meter between, and measure how much it is pulling.... Leave hood up, disconnect the hood light... wait like 20 min for the computer to power down. After all that, it should be like .035 amps... If it is like .30, it could be a glovebox light... if it is higher look at mirror lights... Also check to see if hood light goes out, when shut...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
78PC
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 2005 dbs

I've had the very same problem. Die hard corvette fans will tell you its your fault and make all kinds of excuses for the beloved corvette, as will the dealerships. A $54,000 car should start after leaving it parked 21 days, let alone 3-5 days. There is a probelm. My car has been towed to the dealership and I have stood there and listened to their excuses. You might of left a light on, you did not put it in reverse....
I took my car to the dealership and they supposedly "reflashed" the computer. Well, it has happened since the "reflash." To everyone: I put it in reverse and I do not leave lights on! I've bought three new batteries, and it has had a new alternator. It is a great disappointment and I will not buy another corvette. End of story and the end of GM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 78PC:
c5arlen (11-05-2023), michaeljf (06-30-2017)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
7795TAs
Instructor

Do a search on dead battery, there is a lot of info on this topic. After doing a search, I decided to get a battery tender. I just bought my vette a couple weeks ago so I hope my battery will last.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Let's assume your C6 has no elec issues (not necessarily a good assumption -- you may have to get it checked at the dealer).

When it sits 3-5 days, the C6 electronics drain the battery.

If you just drive a short distance, the battery drains further. That's because the C6 recharge system is marginal and takes ~30 minutes of driving to replace the energy used to start the car.

If you just run short stop-and-restart errands, you're killing the battery.

The OEM battery is not a deep-charge design. So each time it dies, it never recovers full capacity. And will die quicker again.

To prevent problems in a healthy C6, get a battery tender/maintainer. It will keep your battery charged -- especially important for less-frequent winter use & colder temps. And its maintainance cycle will give you max battery life.

It might also hide elec problems which can prematurely kill your battery. Some possibilities and many related threads: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ocked-out.html
Good stuff up there. You don't say when you bought the DieHard, but if it's recent, you have a chance to buy and use that battery maintainer. Just know that they start at about $9 and go up to $80 or so. Mine's from Walmart, a Schumacher, and runs around $20.

After you check out your system and correct anything, the question is do you need a maintainer? The answer is, do you want to start?
The following users liked this post:
coupe35 (07-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You need to actually measure the current drain on the battery when the car has been sitting for a few minutes to allow the electronics to settle down. The normal drain is from 11 to 17ma and is constantly changing between those values. Then it is simple. If your drain is around that normal range, then it is your driving and sitting schedule that is killing the battery. In this case, a battery tender is your fix. If the drain is higher than that, then your car has a problem. It is then a matter of pulling fuses one at a time in order to track down what circuit is pulling the extra current.
Your other option is to just plug in a battery tender to the car when it is sitting, and not bother with any of the above. Personally, I would rather cure the disease than just treat the symptom, but both courses of action will fix you up. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Ed 718
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have a link or part number for a battery tender which is recommended?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
SlideRulz
Burning Brakes

my 2005 was in the dealership for 3 days trying to figure out what caused the dead battery syndrome, all to no avail. I have read where a corvette is suppose to be able to set for around 14 days and not have a problem starting.
The service manager did advise me to turn on "auto lock and alarm", which I did, and since then I have let my car sit for 5 days in 32 to 45 degree weather and it starts with no problem. So far so good, don't know if it's the answer but for me it seems to be working.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

You have an electrical issue -- why put it off, take it back to the dealer and they will check it out.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 PM
ShaftaaC6
Instructor

2005 died three days ago,thought it was DBS,then remembered that the dealer swapped out the battery a year ago as a precaution. Got a jump, brought it home then did some trouble shooting, found that the battery -neg cable showed signs of corrosion, IE geen deposits on the cables, cleaned those off then applied a anti-corrosion gel, reconnected the cables ,car started right up. it has started every day since
Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ah..

Originally Posted by cclive
You need to actually measure the current drain on the battery when the car has been sitting for a few minutes to allow the electronics to settle down. The normal drain is from 11 to 17ma and is constantly changing between those values. Then it is simple. If your drain is around that normal range, then it is your driving and sitting schedule that is killing the battery. In this case, a battery tender is your fix. If the drain is higher than that, then your car has a problem. It is then a matter of pulling fuses one at a time in order to track down what circuit is pulling the extra current.
Your other option is to just plug in a battery tender to the car when it is sitting, and not bother with any of the above. Personally, I would rather cure the disease than just treat the symptom, but both courses of action will fix you up. Good luck!
That is what I would do... FIX IT.... You COULD have a stuck relay... powering something... It is just CRAZY not to fix a problem...
Old 01-20-2010, 09:37 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

This may have nothing to do with your issue but I had to replace the battery in mine in the first year. Turned out that I was the cause in this case as I was leaving the car keys/fob on the counter in the garage rather than bringing them into the house. They were close enough (I'd like to say within 10' but not sure of the range) to alert the computer and never let it completely shut down which caused enough drain to not be able to start it after a day or two. Over time, the battery was shot.

I still have the keys in the garage but now I toss them into a metal coffee can on the counter which shields their signal. It's been fine for over three years.

Hope you find a cure for yours.

--Dan
Old 01-21-2010, 01:17 AM
AgCorvette
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

My battery started dying, in my 2005. I replaced it with the top of the line DieHard which it killed in less than a week.

I took it to the dealer (unfortunately I was out of warranty) and had the try and diagnose it. They couldn't find anything so I had them reflash. That was a year and half ago and I've been good to go ever since.

It cost my 450 for the initial diagnostics and then the reflash,
Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,953 Likes on 5,345 Posts

They can last at least 4 weeks without draining the battery. If the car is draining the battery in less time than that then you are leaving something turned on in the car. With my 08 I always make sure the ignition is turned off and that the map lights on the mirrors are off. When I do that the battery lasts just fine.

Bill
Old 01-21-2010, 02:08 AM
spdkng
5th Gear

Default lojack???

I have a 2006 that I bought with 2500 miles on it. I don't drive it every day and when I would the battery would be dead, sometimes in as little as 3 or 4 days. Took it to the dealership and they put in a new ecm, wouldn't give me a new battery. Same thing, battery was dead in a few days and I'd have to put the charger on it. It was a few weeks before I had time to take it back to the dealership. After working on it for a few hours without success they finally gave me a rental. A few days later they discovered a lojack device stashed up under the dash. It was connected improperly in a circuit and had a constant drain on the battery. I had no idea the device was in the car. The original owner had it installed. They took the lojcak unit out, reconnected the original wiring, and gave me a new battery. Problem solved. It can sit for a month and start right up.
After all that the dealership did the fix under warranty and didn't charge me a thing. They could have very easily charged me because it definitely was not something that they would be obligated to repair under warranty.
They got my business from that day forward.

Get notified of new replies

To dead battery drain problem

Old 01-21-2010, 04:24 AM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I've struggled with the same as the OP.

My problem is intermittent, I've measured the current draw...of course when the meter is connected all cct's shut down correctly & I can leave the meter on for 2 weeks.

Disconnect the meter & the problem will intermittently return.

I've been cognizant of my turn off procedure, cannot find it.

My C5 can sit for weeks & start every time.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 AM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MIne just did it after sitting for a week. New battery, shut down in reverse, no lights on. Go figure.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dbratten
This may have nothing to do with your issue but I had to replace the battery in mine in the first year. Turned out that I was the cause in this case as I was leaving the car keys/fob on the counter in the garage rather than bringing them into the house. They were close enough (I'd like to say within 10' but not sure of the range) to alert the computer and never let it completely shut down which caused enough drain to not be able to start it after a day or two. Over time, the battery was shot.

I still have the keys in the garage but now I toss them into a metal coffee can on the counter which shields their signal. It's been fine for over three years.

Hope you find a cure for yours.

--Dan
I leave my FOB in the car all the time when I park in the garage. Are you sure it keeps the computer awake? What is your source of info. The reason I asked is because at 12,000 miles the dealer had to replace my batt on 08 and he said they did a parasitic draw test and found nothing. The putting it in reverse was only the older versions as I recall.

Quick Reply: dead battery drain problem