C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odyssey Battery Installed in my 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 AM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Odyssey Battery Installed in my 2007

After much research and discussion I decided to install an Odyssey in my 2007. Here are some notes and pics:

1. The only correct battery is the PC1200MJT. It is a metal jacket and the SAE terminals are in the right orientation. The larger Odysseys will not fit.

2. I bought mine from West Coast Battery along with a hold down bracket HDS that they say they had fabricated for GM cars. The bracket is shown in a pic below.

3. Look at the pic below of the battery tray and you will see a lip on the back. The protrusion on the HDS fits under that lip and the hole on the other end of the bracket is for the GM bolt from the stock wedge on the front side of the battery. The GM wedge is not used.

4. Of course the bracket is installed after the battery is placed in the tray and the bracket is very secure.

5. The battery arrived fully charged and I cannot tell any difference in engine starting. I doubt that I will ever be able to tell any difference from a standard wet cell, but I will rest easier knowing that I have an Odyssey in there.
Larry

Last edited by lsbrodsky; 03-20-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Odyssey Red Top fit in my 2007 A6 just fine without the need for additional hold-down brackets. When I contacted Odyssey about the proper fit for an 07 C6, they did not claim to have a battery that fits our vehicles... but the Red Top fit works great with OEM bracket.

You'll love the dependability of the Odyssey!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

This is an Odyssey, not an Optima. Different brand, different technology, different size. My searches did not result in anyone having installed an Odyssey in a 2006+. Although, I believe the Sears Platinum is made by Odyssey, with the terminals reversed. Oh, the Odyssey has straight sides so the GM method of securing will not work.
Larry
Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
This is an Odyssey, not an Optima. Different brand, different technology, different size. My searches did not result in anyone having installed an Odyssey in a 2006+. Although, I believe the Sears Platinum is made by Odyssey, with the terminals reversed.
larry
I obviously haven't had my second cup of coffe yet... Odyssey? Optima? ...sorry for the confusion of my post. :o

Old 01-16-2010, 11:14 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

cthusker swears by the Odyssey and that's good enough for me. That would be the battery I'll change to.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 AM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-16-2010, 01:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by GotVett?
cthusker swears by the Odyssey and that's good enough for me. That would be the battery I'll change to.
Me, too, and Larry Thanks for Posting Up pics of this one.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 563 Likes on 322 Posts

Does this fit the 2008 coupe? I may be wrong but didn't the battery change for 2008 and beyond? I have always heard good things about Odyssey so it would be a great option for me when the time comes if it fits.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used many Odyssey batteries from the smallest to close to the largest in street cars, race cars audio comp systems, simply the best I have ever used and the only ones I buy. When the stock batteries die in my dually I am putting to really big ones in though a couple of 1200's would probably do the trick, that good!

I like to buy them with the metal jacket, take it off and make a battery box from it, cut into the floor in the rear of my audio comp time attack car is one way I used it.

I have had one fail out of many and it was my fault, left it out over the winter with no charge in it, two others in the coldest corner of my only part time heated shop did just fine though it they died would of been my fault as well. Take care of these batteries and they last for many many years.

----------

Optima, I have known of many failures, some very premature, but the yellow top in my old audio comp truck lasted 10+ and 3 of that I hardly ever started the engine or charged the battery, total neglect and it last through 2 cold winters of it before it died. That was one rare Optima!

----------

Rick
Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 563 Likes on 322 Posts

After much research and discussion I decided to install an Odyssey in my 2007. Here are some notes and pics:

1. The only correct battery is the PC1200MJT. It is a metal jacket and the SAE terminals are in the right orientation. The larger Odysseys will not fit.

2. I bought mine from West Coast Battery along with a hold down bracket HDS that they say they had fabricated for GM cars. The bracket is shown in a pic below.

3. Look at the pic below of the battery tray and you will see a lip on the back. The protrusion on the HDS fits under that lip and the hole on the other end of the bracket is for the GM bolt from the stock wedge on the front side of the battery. The GM wedge is not used.

4. Of course the bracket is installed after the battery is placed in the tray and the bracket is very secure.

5. The battery arrived fully charged and I cannot tell any difference in engine starting. I doubt that I will ever be able to tell any difference from a standard wet cell, but I will rest easier knowing that I have an Odyssey in there.
Larry

How about a pic of the installed battery?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an odyssey in my acura, and it was only the 680mjt, but could cold start even in 0 degree chicago weather, great battery!
Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Odussey in one of my Harley's. It's going on 9 or 10 years ---maybe longer (I had it in another bike before this one). You will notice they last longer. They won't just die overnight on you. They eventually grow weaker which is very nice. You will know when it's time to start looking for a new battery instead of finding yourself stranded.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 PM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Miami08, I cannot give you a pic of it installed because my intercooler reservoir sits on top of the battery and you cannot see the battery.

As for the 08+ question, the 08 battery shows as a group 85, where the 07 is a Group 90. I don't know the dimensions of the Group 85 battery, so you will have to do some research. The Odyssey 1200, that I installed, is about 1.5 inches shorter than the stock battery. The Odyssey Factory site does show the same battery, the PC1200MJT, as the correct battery for a 2008 also.

Larry
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 PM
2008Z064ME
Heel & Toe

I bought this same battery as a replacement for the oem on my '08Z. Is there anything I need to do other than just pull out and drop in the new one? Its the electrical system I am concerned with once I remove the battery.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:08 AM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Reindex the windows, per the owners' manual.
Larry
Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 AM
skylarkul
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re-index the windows

Reindex the windows, per the owners' manual.
Larry
ABBASOLUTELY!! If you have a vert with power top, the top won't operate unlesss you re-index the windows after the battery is disconnected - or run all the way down. It took me 2 hours of cursing *#@*# power top until my better half read the whole section on top operation and, discovered that little tid bit a couple of pages in.

Les

Get notified of new replies

To Odyssey Battery Installed in my 2007

Quick Reply: Odyssey Battery Installed in my 2007