C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Important *** Changes coming to the NCM Buyers Tour.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

it's usually the "once-only-this-is-my-big-chance!" people, and the other kind that we all know "I'M ENTITLED TO DO WHATEVER I WANT." YEAH, right....

I think the Museum should name names, guests, owners, who cares? Give us the addresses, too, so we can drive by and wave at them.

bunch of bums, if you ask me, even if you didn't. I've seen groups of 4 getting ready to go over to the Plant, all starry eyed and hardly believing what they're seeing at the Museum. It's really a shame that this number has to be cut in half to two people.

Here's an alternative: have everyone put up a deposit of $1K. or $2K. You break the rules, you lose the deposit. Onhly way some people understand rules is to hit their wallet, and hard! Flame suit on.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
What a bummer and GM is right in clamping down on this

When i entered the facility the security guard at the desk advised me of the no camers/picture taking rule, and the
tour guide reminds you of that before you go in, just hope GM dosn't 'clamp' this right out of existance if peeps can't follow the rules
Old 01-13-2010, 03:08 PM
wrongway
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stuff I read on this forum never ceases to amaze me. How hard is it to follow a "no pictures" rule? And as for looking for someone else's car, let's say you found it, so what? What exactly does that do for anybody? Just another bunch of 2 year olds ruining it for everyone else.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their rules are very clear. I was so happy to be there when I went, I wasn't about to screw it up.

Sadly, as seen everyday in our own lives, some peoples behavior just suck.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Perfectly fine with me. During the 15th anniversary my wife and I were in a group of Corvette owners. Some ahead of us drove us batty. On more than one occasion we had to tell them to keep their hands off the parts and stay on the line. It was not our place to police them, but it was getting really bad. Pretty bad when Corvette owners can't follow directions? One guest is sufficient and the new owner should be responsible for keeping the guest in line. There is no excuse for not following the "rules". Touring the plant is a priviledge not a right.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

By the time I took my tour on Monday, the difference in demeanor had changed markedly since my buyers tour 3 weeks earlier. Workers and guides were very careful to adhere to, and make the rules crystal clear, not that they weren't before.

Both experiences are very worthwhile, and I would still do them again.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS44
Why on earth was this not done when it was happening?!? I remember begin told very plainly and at multiple times before my regular plant tour that no cameras or cell phones were allowed.

Seems to me it would have made more sense to simply implement and apply this rule directly to the bad apples as it was happening, rather than change the rules for everyone else after the fact. No reason to punish the guilty when you can just punish everyone instead though, huh?

Obviously that's just my opinion...I, too, am grateful for everything they do at the plant for us.
Probably because when you are dealing with people acting like spoiled teenagers, its easier to manage 10 rather than 20.

Also, from Talon's description, it sounds like most of the problems were not caused by the actual owners, but rather their Beavis and Butthead 'guest' entourage. If its just me and 1 guest on the tour, I can more easily make sure my 1 guest is behaving, but the more 'friends' I bring, the less control/influence I have.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I certainly understand the rules that apply to entering the line where someone could get hurt or interfere with production. However, I really think the no picture rule is a little silly. It's not like there is something super secret going on or that there is any need to worry about some sort of corporate espionage.

If they were were concerned about protecting any production secrets they would not allow visitors to enter the production area. Especially in todays technological world where it's cheap and easy to hide audio/video devices that would be impossible to discover unless they strip searched all the visitors.

However, if you sign up and pay for the tour you have to play by their rules and if you are not willing to then don't go.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Fine.. I'll just watch National Geographic Super Factory's and take as many cell phone pics of the TV as I want!

In all seriousness... 2 persons is plenty for a 2-seat car IMO.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
I certainly understand the rules that apply to entering the line where someone could get hurt or interfere with production. However, I really think the no picture rule is a little silly. It's not like there is something super secret going on or that there is any need to worry about some sort of corporate espionage.

If they were were concerned about protecting any production secrets they would not allow visitors to enter the production area. Especially in todays technological world where it's cheap and easy to hide audio/video devices that would be impossible to discover unless they strip searched all the visitors.

However, if you sign up and pay for the tour you have to play by their rules and if you are not willing to then don't go.
I think the 'no pictures' rule is not so much about keeping secrets, but rather the raft of issues you open up if you *do* allow pictures. If you allow pics, then people will want to veer off the tour path to get 'better' vantage points, or hold up the tour while they compose their shot, or wait for the cars to move down the line, want the workers to pose by the car, etc etc.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:02 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by C6Tim

The no picture rule is partly to protect the privacy of the employees and partly to protect the process and intellectual property. It is virtually impossible to get a photograph in the plant without capturing the image of some of the workers. Regarding your thoughts on Corporate espionage, you would be surprised what other companies would like to know about things that are done at the plant and further, on any given day at the plant there are prototypes and tests being conducted that involve products not yet in production. The simplest way to ensure that those items don't get captured is to require that no photographs get taken. The automotive manufacturing world is fiercely competitive and anything (no matter how insignificant you may think it to be) that gives one company a leg up over another. Everything including tools and fixtures to supplier information for parts is "worth having" for the one person that is looking for it to gain a competitive edge.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Paul,

Thanx for presenting this information in your typical clear, calm, thoughtful and professional manner. You, my friend, are a true credit to the Corvette Community.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
The no picture rule is partly to protect the privacy of the employees and partly to protect the process and intellectual property. It is virtually impossible to get a photograph in the plant without capturing the image of some of the workers. Regarding your thoughts on Corporate espionage, you would be surprised what other companies would like to know about things that are done at the plant and further, on any given day at the plant there are prototypes and tests being conducted that involve products not yet in production. The simplest way to ensure that those items don't get captured is to require that no photographs get taken. The automotive manufacturing world is fiercely competitive and anything (no matter how insignificant you may think it to be) that gives one company a leg up over another. Everything including tools and fixtures to supplier information for parts is "worth having" for the one person that is looking for it to gain a competitive edge.
I don't doubt any of what you say, but the no picture rule only prohibits those who want to take pictures for their own personal enjoyment from doing so. My point is that corporate spies will/do not use devices that will be in plain view for anyone to detect. Consequently, the only way to prevent the plant and it's inner workings from being photographed/videotaped is to not allow any visitors.

I do respect their right to set whatever rules they want. Like I said, if someone does not like the rules then they should not pay their money and take the tour unless they are willing to obey the rules.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
ClovisFox
Drifting

It's a shame that a handfull of people can ruin such a good thing for so many. There is no excuse for these inconsiderates to violate the rules and start roaming around the plant looking for other Vettes, taking cell phone pics, and causing safety issues for the tour guides. During my museum delivery I was fully briefed on the do's and don'ts while in the assembly plant, and had no problem whatsoever with the rules. Actually, the rules helped me keep focused on the assembly line and all that was going on.

I would really be dissappointed to take the buyers tour sometime in the future and have to choose who from my family would not be able to go with me. That would be such a tough decision. But I understand the issues...

Let's hope the tours never get eliminated. That would be a tragedy.

Gene...
Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

What a shame that all of us C7, C8, and C9 buyers will be penalized due to a few rogue associates of C6 buyers.

Sad to hear
Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

On my delivery we were asked to leave cameras and cell phones in the car they brought us over from the museum in.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
JayMack
Burning Brakes

CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
Paul,

Thanx for presenting this information in your typical clear, calm, thoughtful and professional manner. You, my friend, are a true credit to the Corvette Community.

Thank you so much, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To ***Important *** Changes coming to the NCM Buyers Tour.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
Paul,

That goes double for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default should have always been just 2 people

What is the big deal. 2 people is plenty to have walking around the plant. I did the tour in April 2008 and the guide and everyone that I spoke was terrific. I would never expected to bring anymore than one guest. Goodness..............
Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default What a silly comment

Originally Posted by Dave1998
What a shame that all of us C7, C8, and C9 buyers will be penalized due to a few rogue associates of C6 buyers.

Sad to hear
What are you, some kind of Jamoke??

Quick Reply: ***Important *** Changes coming to the NCM Buyers Tour.