C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Renewal Now $88.87 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:52 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Default XM Renewal Now $88.87 ?

My buddy just renewed his XM subscription last week. They told him there is no more $77.00 renewal because of an additional $11.87 sur charge for royalty fees. Total now is $88.87. Did anyone else have the same experience?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 PM
silvervettesyco
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All i can say is never deal with them! NEVER give them your credit card #. I know from experience ,they border on fraud artists in my opinion of course
Old 01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Convair580
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just received my renewal notice for the fantactic price of $401.+ for 3 years, so I was hoping to get the lower price when I call. I'll ket you know when I call.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
goodolsancho
Heel & Toe

they border on fraud artists in my opinion of course

Old 01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

With so much internet fraud going on, I have started using Virtual Visa - single use credit card numbers. Check with your CC company. I know CITI has it.....
Old 01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Code:[M]ayhem
Racer

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Did anyone else have the same experience?
No, because there's this wonderful new invention called an IPod
Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I don't have an XM subscription in my Corvette, but I do in my DD and love it. You can't get business news live on your iPod...
Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 PM
tanko
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. I just received a bill for the next year that included $77 for the base price, plus $2 for a paper invoice, plus $11.78 for US Music Royalty Fee, plus $7.50 for sales tax.

They have an "explanation" posted on their web site as follows --

U. S. Music Royalty Fee

Effective July 29, 2009, a U.S. Music Royalty Fee has been added to subscriber invoices. Details about the specific costs being passed through to subscribers in this U.S. Music Royalty Fee are provided below.

1. Why does SIRIUS XM pay music royalties?

1. Music royalty rights were established by Congress and are the product of the Copyright Act. Unlike terrestrial radio, both SIRIUS and XM are required to pay copyright music royalties to recording artists, musicians and recording companies who hold copyrights in sound recordings (the actual recording of a work). These royalties have risen dramatically as a result of a decision of the Copyright Royalty Board. Like terrestrial radio, SIRIUS and XM must also pay music publishers who hold copyrights in musical compositions (or the lyrics and music) through their collective organizations, ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. These fees have also risen since March 2007. Finally, SIRIUS and XM must also pay certain copyright owners to facilitate the recording of content on portable devices.

2. Who is the Copyright Royalty Board?

1. The Copyright Royalty Board consists of three Copyright Royalty Judges who determine rates and terms for statutory copyright licenses that are set forth in the Copyright Act. These administrative judges are appointed by the Librarian of Congress.

3. Who benefits from the U.S. Music Royalty Fee?

1. 100% of the U.S. Music Royalty Fee will be used to offset payments from SIRIUS and XM to the music industry.

4. How is the U.S. Music Royalty Fee calculated?

1. We are passing along the increases in our costs attributable to statutorily or contractually required payments to the music, recording and publishing industries for the performance of musical works and sound recordings or for device recording fees since March 20, 2007, the date on which we applied to the FCC to approve the merger.

5. Do all SIRIUS XM subscribers pay the same fee?

1. All subscribers who receive a given package containing music pay the same fee. We believe charging each SIRIUS XM subscriber the same fee most equitably apportions the increased fees to subscribers. Note: some packages, such as News, Sports and Talk contain little music and are not subject to the U.S. Music Royalty Fee.

6. How much is the U.S. Music Royalty Fee?

1. The fee is $1.98 a month on our base $12.95 subscriptions and $.97 for base plans that are eligible for a second radio discount. Your actual fee may vary depending upon the Package and Plan term you choose.

7. Will I have to pay the U.S. Music Royalty Fee on the free months I received for buying an annual plan?

1. No, free months do not incur any U.S. Music Royalty Fees.

8. When will I pay the U.S. Music Royalty fee?

1. For plans renewing after July 28, 2009, the fee will be automatically added to your next bill. There will be no change to your current plan and that plan will remain in effect without change until your next renewal date.

9. Is the U.S. Music Royalty Fee applied to activations and other fees?

1. No.

10. Do you anticipate further price increases or additional fees in the near future?

1. No. We are committed to providing our customers the best value for their entertainment dollar.

11. Is this fee consistent with SIRIUS XM's merger commitment not to raise prices for three years?

1. Yes. This fee is consistent with our commitment not to raise the base price of specific service plans for three years after the merger. The FCC decision approving the merger between SIRIUS and XM permits the companies beginning July 29, 2009 to pass through to subscribers any increases in music royalties since March 20, 2007, the day the companies first asked the FCC to approve the merger. The U.S. Music Royalty Fee implements this FCC decision.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:54 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

I think the question has been answered.

Thank You Tanko!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:58 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by silvervettesyco
All i can say is never deal with them! NEVER give them your credit card #. I know from experience ,they border on fraud artists in my opinion of course
My 3 free months is up soon and got a thing in the mail from XM, they want $188 for a year. I am going to send the notice back with big bold letter stating i have sold the car and please don't send me anymore mail or call me.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Guys, you are far better off getting a Sirius Stiletto 2 (Sirius iPod) and taking it with you wherever you go, instead of paying whatever for only 1 vehicle.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 799 Likes on 449 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

My buddy just renewed his XM subscription last week. They told him there is no more $77.00 renewal because of an additional $11.87 sur charge for royalty fees. Total now is $88.87. Did anyone else have the same experience?

Yes that is the case.

They still call it the $77.00 special, but the charge is $88.87 because of royalties.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

The quoted Q&A not withstanding, I paid $77 to renew in October, 2009.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
funymuny
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I don't have an XM subscription in my Corvette, but I do in my DD and love it. You can't get business news live on your iPod...
Agree. If it were only for the music I might not keep it. But I like the other content...business news, some cable shows, SEC sports. My vehicles are XM while my wife's is Sirius. Conveniently, they still have not consolidated the billing aspect so they look at us as though we have two primary accounts rather than one primary and others as family. Just have to work them to get the 'special' deal.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Default XM Renewal

True story...I did the same thing about a month ago. You just talk to them and bingo. Will also work out a deal when my wifes SRX arrives with its XM package. They have already worked out 2 car deal.

I have had XM since the Vette ( May 07 ) was new & have had no problems with the radio or the sales folk.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like XM will leave three of my cars!

Jim
Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 PM
6spdgs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have XM on 2 vehicles which includes Vette which I only use occasionally, I'll keep XM, content suits me fine. If price rises too much ? I'll make decision at that time.

Get notified of new replies

To XM Renewal Now $88.87 ?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm dumping it when my contract ends and sending them a registered letter 2 months before. The IPOD is really taking away their business unless you love sports.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:48 PM
wsharp24
Burning Brakes

I just got it for $77 for one year.....told them to give me the cancellation dept and when they did they quickly gave me the $77 price I have gotten for 3 years now.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:20 PM
PostalAV8B
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

Last week I dreaded calling XM to cancel my service and to make sure that they did not auto renew my subscription. I heard of the long wait times by calling the 1-800-XMRADIO number.

Quick google revealed the following number to call 1-877-967-4672. It is a number to corporate and is located in the US. Wait time to talk to someone was less then a minute. Told them I wanted to cancel. The rep told me to call the 1-800 numnber above. I stated politely that I have heard that when you call that number that there are long wait times and asked to be connected to the cancellation dept. The rep did, no problem. Wait time less then a minute for someone to pick up. Offered 1/2 price right away then 3 months free. Finally was able to cancel with no more hard sell. I asked for a transaction number and had to wait for it. While waiting we talked a little about the weather, ect... Confirmed that the rep was in the US.

Cliffs:
DO NOT call 1-800-XMRADIO
DO call 1-877-967-4672 for fast service from someone located in the US

Quick Reply: XM Renewal Now $88.87 ?